Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the low fuel light comes on how much is left? My gauge was almost touching the “E” and it took 17.614 gallons till it shut off. If it is only 18.5 tank it has no reserve when it touches the E. Is that true or is there some wiggle room where the tank holds slightly more than 18.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
I don't think there is much reserve. Remember, the tank is a saddle design so there is a pump on the passenger side that constantly feeds the driver side. There may be some fuel sloshing around but it might not make it over. I have the DTE showing in the top right corner of the dash and make sure I have at least 10 miles left...but that was when it was NA. Now that I run a SC I make sure I am at least 1/4 or more as I do not want to risk running lean.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The farthest I've ever gone after the gas light came on and the needle was directly at the bottom of the E was 40 more miles. Granted I also have a manual so every chance I got I can get it up to 60 and put it in neutral and let it Coast for as far as possible. But I'd still say 40 miles after empty is pretty good for the 5.7s

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,357 Posts
The safety feature (to prevent damage to fuel pump units) will have them shut down before pumping the tank dry.

The pass side of the tank will pump over to driver side (this is the 'master' pump). I found when the gauge is hitting "E" there's ~ 1.5 gal remaining in the tank.

I prefer to not run that low, but a time or two I was heading over to my preferred non-ethanol fuel station and under estimated how low I was at.

Typically the readout is down to 30mi, then just goes to "Low Fuel", but I don't want to get stuck because it ran low and shut down - and be stuck wherever that happens.

·
Registered
472 Posts
When the light comes on how much is left? My gauge was almost touching the “E” and it took 17.614 gallons till it shut off. If it is only 18.5 tank it has no reserve when it touches the E. Is that true or is there some wiggle room where the tank holds slightly more than 18.5

Per pg. 253 of your 2016 Owner's Manual:

Low Fuel Indicator Light

When the fuel level reaches approximately 2 gal (7.5 L) this light will turn on, and remain on until fuel is added.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. I figured as much when it took 17.6 gallons. When the light came on I was stuck in traffic. I’m pretty impressed I got 262 miles to the tank with a 392. Better than I thought it would

·
Registered
202 Posts
I ran out of gas on my first or second tank of gas on the car. The light goes on when you hit 30m left. I was in stop and go traffic downtown and knew after my route was finished that I’d only go about 25m before I’d hit my favorite gas station...mistake. My rule of thumb is, once the gas light goes on I look at my odometer and add 20m, that’s the for sure safe zone. Depending on how you’re driving, you might not make 30 so don’t trust that. There are a lot of guys on here that think it’s trashy to let your car run below 1/4 a tank without looking for fuel, but each to their own.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
There are a lot of guys on here that think it’s trashy to let your car run below 1/4 a tank without looking for fuel, but each to their own.

And then there are those who are running forced induction and told not to run on a 1/4 tank because it can cause a lean condition. :wink3:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got it. Light on means car isn’t playing around and find gas

·
Registered
202 Posts
And then there are those who are running forced induction and told not to run on a 1/4 tank because it can cause a lean condition. :wink3:

Wait a minute, you’re telling me that Dodge knows this car is being raced on tracks and they are designed to not run as well on less than a quarter tank? I really have a hard time believing this would be the case. Has this been verified?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,545 Posts
Wait a minute, you’re telling me that Dodge knows this car is being raced on tracks and they are designed to not run as well on less than a quarter tank? I really have a hard time believing this would be the case. Has this been verified?

My comment is referring to modified Challengers outfitted with aftermarket superchargers that are running on stock motors (cast pistons) and NOT the Hell Cat or Demon which run forged parts and their boost bypass is more sophisticated than simply running off engine vacuum. When I installed my magnuson, I was told by Wyatt at Arrington not to run the car hard below a 1/4 of a tank (although I think he said...don't be trashy with the fuel)..which I took as keep the tank 1/4 to full.

You made a comment that " a lot of guys on here that think it’s trashy to let your car run below 1/4 a tank without looking for fuel". I was simply highlighting that there are also those of who modified our cars and have a reason not to go below 1/4 besides thinking it is trashy.

If we are sticking speaking stock set-ups...then going below 1/4 tank is redneck and going below 1/8 tank is trashy. That being said, I run my DD jeep to the fuel light...which I think is considered piker. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
If we are sticking speaking stock set-ups...then going below 1/4 tank is redneck and going below 1/8 tank is trashy. That being said, I run my DD jeep to the fuel light...which I think is considered piker. :thumbsup:

I run my car like I like my Torchy’s Tacos then. Trailer park extra trashy :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts