Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone had their warning light ever come on. I was driving last nite to empty my 89 fuel so I could install the 93 octane tune. The guage was near the red empty and the evic said I had 30 miles to empty. I figured the warning light should have come on by then. The manual said it comes on at 1/8 a tank which is about 2.5 gallons left in the tank. I went to the gas station and put 17.4 gallons in so there was only 1.6 left in the tank.

I'm not worried about running out of gas but am curious as to why it didn't come on. And if there are other warning lights that are not being activated when they should be. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
You must be getting good mileage because my EVIC won't calculate below around 45 miles left on the tank. I've only had the alarm go off and it was really low, but after filling up, I had about 1.2-1.5 (forgot exactly) left in the tank. It's well within the red before it sounds.

·
Super Moderator
16,477 Posts
I've found the distance to empty before "Low Fuel" is about 28miles.

When the needle hits the red zone, you get a single chime (and on each start-up) and the distance to empty will only read "LOW FUEL".

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Had mine come on in my SE only once or twice as I don't have an evic and can't tell how low I am, so I just fill up when it is convenient around a quarter of a tank. Don't want to toil with danger. As I recall, I took 18 gallons so I only had 20 miles left. Usually my other cars had 60 miles after the light came on.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I've found the distance to empty before "Low Fuel" is about 28miles.

When the needle hits the red zone, you get a single chime (and on each start-up) and the distance to empty will only read "LOW FUEL".
Yeah, the EVIC will read LOW FUEL before you get a warning.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine come on right at a 1/16 of a tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replys. I guess it would've came on if I continued driving but I didnt want to chance it. The guage was almost touching the red. I just figured the light wouldve came on by then.

By the way, if your on the fence about a predator. Get it! At least for the R/T auto. I just installed it and love it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Haven't let mine get much below 1/2. Don't feel like popping a vein in my forehead when I see what 18 gallons would cost.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just had mine come on last weekend for the first time. I was within the red zone when it bonged (took 18.27 gallons to fill it.). I was stuck on the PA turnpike and every stinking rest area was closed for like 75 miles. I was getting really nervous......

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
I haven't had it come on in the Challenger yet, but when it came on in our 300c I pulled in and filled up at the next gas station.
Distance from "light on" to fill up... about 1 mile. Gallons to fill 18.7
in a 19g tank.
Personally I'd like a tad more warning than that...

But it's not a big deal because we seldom let it get that low....
I did it on purpose that time, because we had just gotten the car & I wanted to know how much warning we would get.
Now we try not to let it get under 1/8th tank....

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't want to start any trouble here folks but it may be a good idea to keep at least a 1/4
of a tank in her at all times as the theory goes about keeping enough gas to cool the fuel pump properly. Theory mind you, but I've heard more than once on this subject.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ditto about not starting trouble, but if you're in a cold climate you also want to keep a little more fuel (I've heard no lower than a half tank) in the tank to prevent condensation from collecting.

·
Super Moderator
16,477 Posts
Haven't let mine get much below 1/2. Don't feel like popping a vein in my forehead when I see what 18 gallons would cost.
@ $4.099/gallon (best price) for 91 grade (highest in this area) it was just a tick over $75.
My low fuel light had been on for a couple of miles (18.4 gals to fill up).

Its like being back in the summer of 2008, when prices hit that level then. The worst was about $4.349/gallon then for premium grade...

·
Premium Member
7,317 Posts
When my light comes on, it takes about 17.5 gallons to fill. I assume the tank is 19 gallons, but don't know how much extra gas fills into the spout.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
@ $4.099/gallon (best price) for 91 grade (highest in this area) it was just a tick over $75.
My low fuel light had been on for a couple of miles (18.4 gals to fill up).

Its like being back in the summer of 2008, when prices hit that level then. The worst was about $4.349/gallon then for premium grade...
Yep, we're so screwed by the speculators and oil companies. We're at $3.99 and up for premium (93) in my area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts