Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys:

I don't know what to do and I need your help. I have a 2009 RT that only has 78 miles on it! I bought it new in September 2009 and I just took it to the dealer for its 1st oil change. I am concerned about the age of the gas and asked the dealer if it would hurt the engine to add stabilizer to the gas and the mechanic suggested that I just try to run it nearly out and keep it low. I'm not convinced that that is the thing to do.

I read about this ethenol issue and I am really worried about clogging the injectors forcing me to take it back in to the dealer.

Before you start jacking up this little old lady for not driving it enough, let me tell you that I haven't mastered getting it in and out of the garage without help to make sure I don't hit something. You know, these are wide cars, so it is a side to side issue not a length issue and I am kindof short making it hard to judge the front right nose of the car. That challenger is all around bigger than my '99 Crown Vic!! No kidding.

Anyway, long story short, I am setting up mirrors inside the garage and the battery tender is jigged up.

But what about that gas? The weather is turning. First, I thought I would just run it a bit and then fill it up and add stabilizer but I don't want to hurt the engine - it isn't even broken in yet. Then I threw my hands up and thought maybe I should buy a jiggle siphon and siphon out most of the gas and refill with fresh and add stablizer.

Then I read about the siphons and worry that the challenger might have an anti-siphon mechanizm and I might get the siphon stuck or worse yet have the end fall off into the tank.

Now I read somewhere that the tank is two parts like a saddlebag? What's up with that?

Does anybody have any experience with this that can offer me some sound suggestions? And please, seriously, I need your help, without the crackpot remarks I know I am opening myself up to.

P.S. No, you cannot come to my house and drive the gas (or whatever your thinking) out of my car.

Thanks all in advance. Happy Holidays.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
I don't know enough about modern day cars to help you with the gas issue but have you thought about adding front and rear cameras for visablity problem. I don't have a front one but my rear one shows a pretty wide v veiw behide the car with a red area showing anything within a foo of the camera.. They display on your MGIG so you don't need to put another display in the car to cluter up the interior. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
MY suggestion, if you are going to drive it 6 miles per month, would be to drive it to the gas station every month and add one gallon of gas to keep it fresh.

But my question is, why are you keeping the mileage down? You really aren't doing the next owner a favor. If you are making a museum piece, I'd build a room on the back of your house and have the dealer disconnect your gas tank and then you can treat it as a piece of art, which it is by the way. If you think I'm bashing you, don't. I have several photos to back up that last statement.

Guess I'm just trying to figure you out. Why would someone with a 99 Crown Vic as a DD purchase a $35,000 car and not use it? This is a free country so you really don't have to explain. We really would like to know, though.

What boat owners do when we store our boat for 6 months is to add Stabil to the gas. I would imagine it would be the same for an auto.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Iwould think the Ethanol would start to break down or corrode all the metal pieces over time.

I am no pro but I would think a full tank of gas and some fuel stabilizer. Run some of the fuel with the stabilizer through the motor, probably a couple minutes then shut her down.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
drive the car!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Stabil now makes a marine grade ethanol gas stabilizer. It is alot more concentrated then regular stabil. Don't let the ethanol haters scare you, it's been around for 30+ years. If it's as bad as some want you to think you would see vehicles lined up for miles with fuel problems, you just don't see it.

If the gas is 14 months old as you state I would definetly get it out before storing the car another 6 or so months. One nice long cruise with a friend and then fill it up, add marine grade stabilizer, drive home and park it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,

First thing, my apologies to the above poster but I am firmly in the "ethanol haters" camp. Before I walked away for much greener pastures in the Railroad Vehicle Manufacturing industry 10 years ago, I was with Ford and heavily involved in the flex-alternate fuel vehicles (CNG Rules!). I still maintain my SAE membership and keep up on things, so hopefully my opinion may be of some value.

You should realize apart from real fuel, E-10 attracts moisture, acts a wicked solvent, breaks down to gum fairly rapidly and has less potential energy than gasoline per molecule.

It plagues the Carburetors in my rarely driven old GT-350 and Triumph Bonneville. It also raises all sorts of issues with my newer 2001 Triumph Bonneville (also rarely driven). I am also far from the only one who is plagued by a politically mandated fuel in older rarely driven vehicles.

For the Challenger, you wont have issues with is seals and sludge using E-10. The Material which makes up the O-rings, Fuel Pump Impeller Seals and lines is impervious to E-10. E-85 on the other hand...look out.

For low driven modern (post 08) vehicles, your problem is going to be moisture.

You only have 3 real choices if you are concerned about the E-10.

1. Drive It!

2. Add an E-10 Neutralizing Enzyme fuel additive. I use Star-Tron in my cars, bikes and tractors. Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

3. Find fuel stations that do not use E-10. Here is the National list of stations: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The problem with this as it looks like the OP doesn't want to drive the car. Boaters complain about E-10 gas with the problems it raises with the plastic fuel tanks when left for the winter. Backing out of the garage is not the issue why the car is not driven. If anyone can afford a new car, they should be able to afford a wider garage door. What's the real issue here?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Maybe he's a troll.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I wouldn't bother doing anything. Fuel injected cars atmomize the fuel so well you shouldn't even notice a difference.

I have some injected cars from the 80's with 5 year old gas in the tank and the car runs fine and starts on a quarter turn when I plug in the battery.

Meanwhile my old Firebird won't start at all if the gas is stale, the carb can't handle it...

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
The only issue I have had withfuel is with my 70 T/A and 47 Plymouth, had to take carbs off and clean them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts