Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 RT with Whipple blower, Zoomers exhaust, pretty much the rest stock...only 23k miles. Thinking about upgrading to a 2019 Redeye. Any guesses what dealers were offering for trade in?

Somewhat recent video of dyno pull to get a feel for the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
a new car - dodge dealer may not even touch it. used car dealer or specialty dealer, maybe. but are they going to have a new redeye for exchange...probably not. If any one of them takes it, it will be very low $$, probably insultively low trade in offer for what you have in it/feel its worth.
Dealers want trade in's that have the widest potential buyer audience possible with the least amount of cost to them. This as a general rule, means the cleaner, newer, nicer, less miles, most stock condition possible. Certain mods (again, per car dealers and places like carmax, similar) are pretty much a no-go. Anything safety related, emissions related and heavy engine / exhaust mods are really frowned on, if not outright verboten.
I know this isnt what you'd want to hear. Many of us have learned this, the hard way though.
Best $$ for you is going to be private sale and use those funds towards your new purchase.

·
Premium Member
4,733 Posts
2011 RT with Whipple blower, Zoomers exhaust, pretty much the rest stock...only 23k miles. Thinking about upgrading to a 2019 Redeye. Any guesses what dealers were offering for trade in?

Making a Private sale and applying the proceeds toward the new Redeye is the best way to go with your car.

If you do not want to mess with the hassle of a private sale (and no one would blame you if you didn’t), your best bet is to remove the super charger and get engine as close back to stock as you can. Sell the super charger and apply those proceeds toward the Redeye purchase when you use the car as a trade-in.

As it is now, I do not believe a dealership would want to take the car for a trade-in, as it would be too difficult to flip on the used side of the lot without investing labor and money into it for the de-modding it requires for general public to want to buy it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Recent video of dyno pull to get a feel for the vehicle.
Understand all fronts. In fact never really considered trading. Would probably sell privately and only if it was fair to what I think it’s worth. Dealers automatically assumed I was trading. But just the shear ridiculousness of some of the numbers that were thrown out by the dealerships was the reason for my post. I ended up negotiating on a Widebody HC instead with a dealer that simply said they’re not interested in modified cars to the points stated above.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Understand all fronts. In fact never really considered trading. Would probably sell privately and only if it was fair to what I think it’s worth. Dealers automatically assumed I was trading. But just the shear ridiculousness of some of the numbers that were thrown out by the dealerships was the reason for my post. I ended up negotiating on a Widebody HC instead with a dealer that simply said they’re not interested in modified cars to the points stated above.
The low trade in numbers offered by the dealerships just reflects the fact heavily modified cars are a drag on the used car market.

In fact likely the dealer if you had agreed to a trade in would have just put the car out to auction. One of the many small indy used car dealers would have snapped the car up.

My drive to the office I often take a route that has me passing by several of these small indy car dealers and I see mod'd cars offered for sale at these lots all the time.

Used to live in an area that had me passing by a used car/vehicle lot that specialized in selling cars on consignment. The lot was full of mod'd cars.

Here's web site of a place not too far from me that sells special cars:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was hoping to get some actual numbers to see what R/T enthusiasts would think the trade-in value would be? Given the limited details I provided and assuming it's in average condition. Any takers? I'll tell you what the lowest number I got was from one of the dealers...$8K. I understand the reason for the number...no need for the explanation on dealership business models, etc. If anything I was hoping to see if folks on here would be close to the number I have in my head.

·
Vendor
5,638 Posts
#1 - your car looks and sounds great! Very nice!

#2 - are in South Florida by chance? Saw your UF tag. There's a higher end used car dealership we have dealt with in the Broward County area that has been very fair with prices on used car sales. Send me a DM if you are interested.

Lisa.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
What enthusiasts think the trade in value should be counts for nothing. If they favor mod'd cars they'll likely come up with a higher value. If the don't like mod'd cars they'll come in with a lower value.

If you get a high value then offer the car to the person who gives you that high value and see the back pedaling away from the number.

If you want to trade in the car and trade in value is important to you likely you can find a dealer that will accommodate you regarding a higher trade in value. But you'll pay more for the car you are buying.

If you offer the car for sale as a private seller you might, probably will, get more for the car than you would from trading it in. But there is the hassle of dealing with the car shoppers. And with a mod'd car chances are every driver is on the test drive going to want to experience the car's added power/performance.

·
Registered
848 Posts

The USUAL argument against changing things up from "stock" has always boiled down to how any deviation requires the potential buyer to recognize the value in what you've done and want it.

That's a tough enough hurdle to get over.......but super charging?

Forget it.....a power adder for sure but also no small amount of potential WORRY over the general condition and reliability to a potential buyer.

Others have already said it and I'd just repeat.... sell it yourself.

No Reputable Dealer will want this car in their "used car" inventory for sale. It's a near certainty that if they accept the car on trade they will immediately dump it to a dealer that sells used only.

WHY? That easy if you look at it from their point of view.

Think about a new car dealer in your area..... lot's of people walk in a buy new cars and a few used cars.

New vs. used is a distinction without a difference concerning the dealer's reputation. When-ever a buyer has problems with car they bought there is potential for a loud mouthed condemnation of them, fair or unfair.

This is no small part of the reason you just about always see anything with higher mileage and more than 4 years old that they take in trade sold else-where. The dealer will auction trades like yours for sure to a use car dealer. He knows he'll never get as much for it this way but the potential hit to his reputation for selling only NEW and REALLY GOOD used cars is too important to risk on a car with an engine that has seen as much modification as yours has seen. You can claim 'till blue in face that your car is TOP NOTCH work and quality.....his problem is found in the idea that he has no way of knowing if that's true or not.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
13,582 Posts
Without mods $16,000 -$18,000 if very good condition. Good condition maybe $15,000 - $17,000

You asked about dealer trade in, and that's why the replies. Most dealers if they would take it on trade in will offer you less than the above

Private party $16,000 - $19,000 but right buyer MORE because of the mods

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,466 Posts
Making a Private sale and applying the proceeds toward the new Redeye is the best way to go with your car.

If you do not want to mess with the hassle of a private sale (and no one would blame you if you didn’t), your best bet is to remove the super charger and get engine as close back to stock as you can. Sell the super charger and apply those proceeds toward the Redeye purchase when you use the car as a trade-in.

As it is now, I do not believe a dealership would want to take the car for a trade-in, as it would be too difficult to flip on the used side of the lot without investing labor and money into it for the de-modding it requires for general public to want to buy it.
All Great insight and advice Nuke, but the dealership might just take it to auction. I do agree that it would probably work out better to de-mod your Challenger before trading it in since you might get a quarter back on the dollar for mods (Please don't ask me how I know :( )

We've sold a vehicle to CarMax before and they gave us a deal that was a bit better than book. They were fair and bought it without us having to buy something from them.

Just food for thought.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Seriously. Whatever guys.
You can't ask for an opinion and then get all upset when an honest one is delivered.

You're far from the first guy selling a car who will find that it's a lot tougher to realize a valuation that you like after spending a lot of extra cash to make your car over as YOU wanted it.

This is why the theme of selling it privately makes so much more sense than attempting to "trade it".

Dealers don't want to have a car sit in their inventory. In my last post I asked you to try and look at this from the perspective of dealer who'd take your trade.

I left a piece of the puzzle out. Time in inventory. They want cars that will turn over easily and quickly.

If he were to pay you something closer to what you probably see as a "fair value" ( I assume you believe the super charger should get you MORE cash on trade than if the car didn't have this change)........his problem after giving you that extra cash is the same one you'll have if sell privately. He's got to WAIT for that buyer who sees what you've done to the car and is willing to pay a premium price for it.

You can easily wait how-ever long it takes.......for a dealer though this is a horrible outcome and money loser for sure unless he's incredibly lucky and that buyer shows up fast.

Dealing cars is all about the turn over. Every car and truck on the lot represents DEAD MONEY earning ZERO until it sells. Opportunity cost is the term I'd use to describe it when cars sit on the lot longer than they should.

In a perfect world every car comes in, gets paid for and is sold quickly at a profit and the money generated redeployed to the next car purchased and then the process repeats over and over again.

Your car, if he pays UP for your modifications, represents a lot of risk to his reputation and it could represent a real money loser if he over pays for a car that can't easily and quickly find that buyer who wants what you've done to the car and would be willing to pay up for it.

In short you can afford to wait......a dealer could too but it requires him to put money to work in your car that could better deployed to an easier to sell car.

Long winded response short?

Still boils down to:

SELL IT YOURSELF!! This is your best shot at getting what you consider a fair value for sure.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I kept all my stock items I replaced with aftermarket, even down to the stock cat back system and mids. Should I ever sell/trade the car, be a bit of work to reinstall the stock stuff but at least I have it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Without mods $16,000 -$18,000 if very good condition. Good condition maybe $15,000 - $17,000

You asked about dealer trade in, and that's why the replies. Most dealers if they would take it on trade in will offer you less than the above

Private party $16,000 - $19,000 but right buyer MORE because of the mods

A Guy
Thanks AG. You and I were basically on the same page scenario and $ wise.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seriously. What number is in your head?
$18-$20K i would probably sign away. $15-18K i'd have to get a significant MSRP discount before any incentives. Otherwise I would just keep it. BTW all the dealers are all of sudden calling me and telling me they will offer me better numbers. I've actually moved on....thinking of keeping the RT and adding a totally different car to the collection. Used 911 or GTR...not sure yet.

In the end all the advice is spot on. Take it easy fellas.

·
Registered
848 Posts
$18-$20K i would probably sign away. $15-18K i'd have to get a significant MSRP discount before any incentives. Otherwise I would just keep it. BTW all the dealers are all of sudden calling me and telling me they will offer me better numbers. I've actually moved on....thinking of keeping the RT and adding a totally different car to the collection. Used 911 or GTR...not sure yet.

In the end all the advice is spot on. Take it easy fellas.
After all you've done to make the car "your own".......keeping it probably makes the most sense anyway doesn't it?

I'm assuming you've got the space and can afford to keep an "extra car".

Again you're not alone.

I've got extra cars too and have done what you and so many car guys do so often. I've got an older emissions era '79 Corvette that on it's best day might fetch $12,000. If a quick sale was required it would definitely go for less because you can find pretty clean versions of the car with low mileage just under $10,000 when sellers are really motivated. My problem, if were to ever sell it....... a very strong stroked small block and really stout Automatic transmission to handle the power went into the car 2 years ago and even after doing all the wrenching myself parts cost of the crate motor and trans added up to approximately $8,000 alone.....then there are some 17" wheels and tires,,,,,,,big time suspension changes that jettisoned all the original suspension. Gone are the front coils and real steel leaf and smaller sway bars in favor of a completely modern set up that in no way resembles what was in the car originally.........along with other changes like willwood brakes at all 4 corners....... I've got way more money in the car than it would ever come close to recovering in a sale.

The fact is every car is limited by it's competition for a sale. It doesn't matter at all that my car could lay waste to any stock Corvette from the muscle car era on road track for sure and it's 1/4 mile capability when it "hooks" is better than my '18 392 Challenger. But none of this adds up in the market to the money I'd have to see to ever sell it. In a nut-shell that is the dilemma of making over any car to what you REALLY WANT when it's a big expensive move away from "stock" and your competition for a sale in any market. Selling almost always will require you to take a BIG HIT you wouldn't have had you just kept it all original.

·
Registered
104 Posts
So what kind of hp is it putting down? Do you not want to sell outright?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts