Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a tutorial on how to install the Overkill ported Lower intake? Mine is arriving by tomorrow or day after and want to know the procedure before I remove the old manifold.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
These two videos show removing upper and lower

Once you get the old one off, this would also apply

A Guy

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bro! Shouldn't be too hard to do right?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Not too bad, just be patient with those red lock tabs for the fuel injectors. They can be a pain if they're dirty or stuck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not too bad, just be patient with those red lock tabs for the fuel injectors. They can be a pain if they're dirty or stuck.
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up, I might aswell get my spark plugs upgraded to better ones while I'm working at it, I was looking at the NGK iridium IX ones, would they work? Do they need regaping for our cars? Or which other spark plus are good?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up, I might aswell get my spark plugs upgraded to better ones while I'm working at it, I was looking at the NGK iridium IX ones, would they work? Do they need regaping for our cars? Or which other spark plus are good?
It's certainly a good time to check the plugs, while you have the intake off. Not sure how many miles you have but you can decide to replace them. Sorry I couldn't tell you which ones are better or worse. I haven't tested different ones. I usually just use the Mopar replacement plugs, they come gapped but it's always good to measure just in case.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's certainly a good time to check the plugs, while you have the intake off. Not sure how many miles you have but you can decide to replace them. Sorry I couldn't tell you which ones are better or worse. I haven't tested different ones. I usually just use the Mopar replacement plugs, they come gapped but it's always good to measure just in case.
Its done around 7,400 miles now, the spark plugs were changed at 5,965 miles but thought it would be a good idea to get it checked or upgraded.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got my ported intake in, are there any torque specs for the upper and lower intake bolts when installing them back in? Or just make sure they are tightened up good?

48930689_2020770618037875_6267405785165201408_n.jpg

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would depend on what shape they are in. I know it's harder getting parts there but I would always get new gaskets. An air leak on an air metering component could play hell on all kinds of performance issues.

Info from The Chilton Library

chilton service manuals new challenger

A Guy
Thanks man!
Im also wandering whats the mm of the socket I need to open the top bolts of the upper intake, so I can get the socket for my torque wrench from the local DIY garage, not sure of the lower intake ones and if the torque wrench will take that size as I believe they are star shaped bolts?

Also the intake is ready for installation!
Got the gaskets from a local mopar / dodge store, cost me $67 with tax though, which is just a little bit more than buying online but needed them quickly, will install it tonight!
Pics attached of the gaskets. Love me some new goodies!

49175728_2351449688435572_2924386989249658880_n.jpg
49183534_215284172752822_3070423071383879680_n.jpg

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im halfway there now to remove the lower intake, just cant seem to take out the fuel injector red tabs out, how should i pull it out?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
Can you access this link? You can get all this info from the Chilton library I linked to

https://www.roswell-nm.gov/1112/Chilton-Auto-Repair-Library Password: cactus

Put your car info in the Vehicle Selector> Select> Repair> Engine Mechanical> 3.6L Engine> Intake Manifold> Choose Installation or Removal> Lower or Upper

You can navigate around those choices, see if they have what you need

A Guy

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yes you should replace those intake gaskets while you're at it. The uppers and the lowers. I should have mentioned that earlier. Wipe what oil you can out of the grooves too.

For the red injector tabs, you can use a flat blade screwdriver, a 90 degree pick or some flat trim/upholstery tool. Put it under the top of the red tab, put your other hand on the end of the tool and pull straight up. That's how I usually do it, just be patient.

The intake manifold bolts are all 8 mm if I remember correctly. There is a torque sequence too. I'll try to attach it. I see A Guy gave you the torque specs. I should add that you should go around to each one again after.

3.6lowerintake.jpg
3.6upperintake.jpg

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes you should replace those intake gaskets while you're at it. The uppers and the lowers. I should have mentioned that earlier. Wipe what oil you can out of the grooves too.

For the red injector tabs, you can use a flat blade screwdriver, a 90 degree pick or some flat trim/upholstery tool. Put it under the top of the red tab, put your other hand on the end of the tool and pull straight up. That's how I usually do it, just be patient.

The intake manifold bolts are all 8 mm if I remember correctly. There is a torque sequence too. I'll try to attach it. I see A Guy gave you the torque specs. I should add that you should go around to each one again after.
Well I didn't torque it that way you attached but I just made sure all the bolts are tightened up good on the lower intake, not too tight just nice and tight. Didn't go in that sequence either but went around after tightening them from one side to the other to make sure it's snug and tight. Didn't have the socket needed for the star shaped bolts for lower intake to torque it. I have a torque wrench but I was unsure of the foot / pounds unit to use on the bolts as the torque info guy gave is in a different unit to foot/pounds.

Was afraid to crack the side walls of the upper intake bolts area while tightening so I just made sure to tighten it to a point it won't crack. Don't know why the upper Intake front two bolt holes are weak, the rest were nice and solid.

Only issue I found was the upper intake has a crack on the outer side wall where one of the bolts screws down which I believe was done during the previous owner's ownership or before him but its all good as there's no problems being caused because of that.

There was alot of dirt and oil and some red stuff on the surface and edges once I removed the old lower intake, cleaned it up good using a throttle body cleaner sprayed on a rag and just wiped it off nice and clean. My lower intake was very oily inside not sure if thats normal or something needs looking at that caused it.

I have to say, WOW what a difference it made to the throttle response, the exhaust note and the mid power. Low end power definitely has improved too. I havent floored it yet to see how it responds WOT but will soon.

Overall, I'm very happy with this mod and will get a ported throttle body by overkill too. Unfortunately couldn't do a before dyno but will do dyno to see how much she's putting down, installation wasn't too bad, took my time on everything but at the end of the day I enjoyed doing this mini project!

Should I try the 93 tune? I'm using 95 octane petrol here in Saudi Arabia I'm guessing the 93 tune would work on that gas? Currently on 91 tune.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can you access this link? You can get all this info from the Chilton library I linked to

https://www.roswell-nm.gov/1112/Chilton-Auto-Repair-Library Password: cactus

Put your car info in the Vehicle Selector> Select> Repair> Engine Mechanical> 3.6L Engine> Intake Manifold> Choose Installation or Removal> Lower or Upper

You can navigate around those choices, see if they have what you need

A Guy
This didn't tell me how to pull out the tabs or show how to do it, I didn't even pull the tabs out after a few tries with a flat head and some Philip flat head drivers as I didn't want to break them so I just took out the fuel rail with the Injectors attached with all the wiring removed too that was attached to the injector to spark plugs. Then just moved the fuel rails out of the way and then started loosening the lower intake bolts. Spilled some fuel removing the fuel rails with the injectors still attached as one of them came out of its holder but all good, there was no issue.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys, is there anything i need to fine tune in my 91 tune now that i have the ported intake installed, such as maybe the fuel % ?
Let me know, also can I try the 93 tune? Will it hurt or not?

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Guys, is there anything i need to fine tune in my 91 tune now that i have the ported intake installed, such as maybe the fuel % ?
Let me know, also can I try the 93 tune? Will it hurt or not?
I would say talk to your aftermarket tuner. That's something I don't know enough about to say. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable on the subject can chime in.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,659 Posts
The 93 tune will require actual 93 octane which you don't have available. It won't help, it would hurt. Stick with the tune unless you plan to somehow raise the octane to 93 each and every time

If you are using a canned tune, you may have no issues with the ported intake, but if it's possible to take advantage of it, you'd likely need to log and get a custom tune. Since you can do email tunes, your location isn't as much of a hindrance. Make sure your tuner knows your location and average temp along with all the other parameters they will want from you. You may not get a huge bump, but your tune will now be individual to your car, and that would be better than the canned tunes. I only know what I have learned at Challengertalk, so post in the tune sub section for specific help.

A Guy

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 93 tune will require actual 93 octane which you don't have available. It won't help, it would hurt. Stick with the tune unless you plan to somehow raise the octane to 93 each and every time

If you are using a canned tune, you may have no issues with the ported intake, but if it's possible to take advantage of it, you'd likely need to log and get a custom tune. Since you can do email tunes, your location isn't as much of a hindrance. Make sure your tuner knows your location and average temp along with all the other parameters they will want from you. You may not get a huge bump, but your tune will now be individual to your car, and that would be better than the canned tunes. I only know what I have learned at Challengertalk, so post in the tune sub section for specific help.

A Guy
I loaded up the 93 tune today and there was no issues with anything whatsoever, did some logging too, checked the knocks, there was no knocks at WOT or even shifting from 1-4 using the stick. So the question is should I stick with 93 tune or go back to 91, will i encounter any problems sticking with 93 tune with 95 octane here?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts