Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,585 Posts
Your 95 RON = 91 US: (R+M)/2 as you know. That's the octane the canned tune would be for. I know it's not advised to run a 93 tune using 91 gas, I assume the car would pull timing, but if your logging sees no issue, it's possible it's not an issue. Again I'd suggest posting in the tune section. I am unsure how much is changed from the 91 tune (likely an 89 tune?) to the 93 tune. A Guy

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Your 95 RON = 91 US: (R+M)/2 as you know. That's the octane the canned tune would be for. I know it's not advised to run a 93 tune using 91 gas, I assume the car would pull timing, but if your logging sees no issue, it's possible it's not an issue. Again I'd suggest posting in the tune section. I am unsure how much is changed from the 91 tune (likely an 89 tune?) to the 93 tune. A Guy
True, I would never run the 93 tune using 91 RON. The 91 octane here is premium and the 95 RON is super premium.

Yes i've posted up on in the Tuning / Data forum just now, theres images attached to my post of the logging.

·
Registered
191 Posts
As an update to this thread, there is a new Lower Intake Module available for the Pentastar engine, however it is not a Challenger part. It does fit our V6 Pentastars though. It is in models like the Pacifica, and Grand Cherokee V6 2017+ models. It's known as a PUG (Pentastar UpGrade) part. It has removed most of the bolt shaft that is in the stock LIM. The part is about $105 plus shipping. Much cheaper than a ported item. It is the Lower only, no change to the Upper.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,585 Posts
Are we sure it will do anything for the pre-2017?

The revised engine uses two-speed variable valve lift; this reduces “pumping work” at low speeds, for a fuel economy gain of up to 2.7%, without sacrificing top-end power. A new torque-driven cam phasing valve timing system cuts oil demand, and increases its range from 50° to 70°, cutting knock during hot starts and increasing the ability to use the stop-start system. The valve timing system was also recalibrated to take advantage of the new intake manifold.

The upgraded Pentastar (PUG) has cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) to eliminate knocks and increase efficiency by cutting pumping losses further. A new intake manifold with longer runners enabled the torque boost, and the compression ratio was boosted from 10.2:1 to 11.3:1. The heads include high-tumble intake ports and shrouded combustion chambers. New fuel injectors have eight holes for better atomization

Wondering what effect without the other mentioned upgrades and tuning

This guy did it

A Guy

·
Registered
191 Posts
1. It probably won't do anything by itself, but in conjunction with other mods (S/C, Throttle Body, CAI, etc), I think it would help. No scientific testament, just loose, dumb thought.
2. It's A LOT cheaper than getting a ported LIM, if one wanted that.
3. It can't hurt. There is less restriction in the ports.
4. It's fun to play with my car. (Maybe this should be #1)

That said, I just installed it (PUG) in my car. Along with the RIPP coil packs. Waiting for my seat-belts to get re-webbed, then I will try some runs. I also ordered the 78mm BBK throttle body and will do comparison before and after that mod. Even so, I did put the coil packs in, so it is not a true before/after PUG test.

BTW, BBK is the only one I know of that makes their own TBs, as opposed to just porting the OEM. The ported ones all seem to keep the OEM butterfly (~74mm). Although Fastman takes part of the butterfly mounting shaft off to reduce restriction. Other than that most port in a cone shape down to the butterfly restriction, and not all port the back side of the TB.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,585 Posts
People who have installed it do seem to think it helped. Interested to see what your impressions are. I haven't been tempted to do any engine "performance" mods myself

A Guy

Attachments

Reactions: Duh Bears

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting read (what I read of it!) on the Pentastar. Thanks. I've seen most of that, but not all elsewhere.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts