Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
ARTIE is a 2016 R/T PLUS with Super track pack, 6 speed, Ruby Red Interior
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,
I had a change of heart this week regardng the 295/35 rear tires on my '16 Challenger. I decided to get smaller diameter front tires 265/35 and send my 285/35r20 in the back.
Quite a bit of a difference in look and performance.
Anyone else runs 265/35r20?
What do you think of the fender gap?

Here the video of the new profile:
https://youtu.be/vrx7-k-Dznw

M.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I can dig it...

I dont run those sizes but have always hated people who said that fender gap is the end of the world, I dont mind it at all. I like the staggered look of your car and the fender gap looks just fine in my opinion.

I just put a drag setup on my car (that will be daily driven), 305/45r17s MT in the back and 225/60r17s in the front (my compromise for a drag skinny). Both sit 28" tall which is a full inch shorter than stock but the whole look I like, even if the fender gap slightly increased lol.

Good looking car!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can dig it...

I dont run those sizes but have always hated people who said that fender gap is the end of the world, I dont mind it at all. I like the staggered look of your car and the fender gap looks just fine in my opinion.

I just put a drag setup on my car (that will be daily driven), 305/45r17s MT in the back and 225/60r17s in the front (my compromise for a drag skinny). Both sit 28" tall which is a full inch shorter than stock but the whole look I like, even if the fender gap slightly increased lol.

Good looking car!
Thanks, I think too, the gap is not bad, but today I've ran to a speed bump and hit bottom...yeah its lower alright. I need to take them sideway now...

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I got 9.5 inch wide rims just so I could properly run 285/35/20s for autocross, and even that is a bit on the skinny side for the tire, though it works. 285s are happiest on a 10 or 10.5 inch wide rim. On a 20x9 I doubt you're getting the full benefit of the extra width.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got 9.5 inch wide rims just so I could properly run 285/35/20s for autocross, and even that is a bit on the skinny side for the tire, though it works. 285s are happiest on a 10 or 10.5 inch wide rim. On a 20x9 I doubt you're getting the full benefit of the extra width.
Right, its pretty clear with the tire wear that it only reach about 275mm wide having about 10mm of untouched rubber on the exterior side on the tire.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The maximum safe width is 275, front or back.

Not to blow the top of your head off but I run 33x12.50x15 on an 8 inch rim all day for about the last 27 years on one vehicle or another. 245/40/15 on a 7 inch rim, my mistake I cant correctly read what size rim I have, oh well maybe next year ill get the correct rim when these tires wear out.

To the OP:

I liked the 265/35 on the Challenger and I am what I call a short tire person myself. Little stiff on the SRT springs/shock valving. Very popular size. I went with the 295/40/20 on my Jeep SRT short but I like the look and its a little easier for my parents to get in and out in. The Jeeps factory size is 295/45/20 Pirelli run flats which are a total junk tire and 525$.

I'm showing my age but the whole "fender gap" thing is a joke and when I see a lowered car on the street on an exit ramp or on the Dragon I just lick my lips because its like taking candy from rich kids.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Bondurant runs a 285/35 Goodyear F1. Holy hell that thing sticks on the track!!! My vision was blurring around the corners...

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To the OP:

I liked the 265/35 on the Challenger and I am what I call a short tire person myself. Little stiff on the SRT springs/shock valving. Very popular size. I'm showing my age but the whole "fender gap" thing is a joke and when I see a lowered car on the street on an exit ramp or on the Dragon I just lick my lips because its like taking candy from rich kids.
Lol...taking candy from the rich kids! Hell its halloween night! But good point about the lowered spring (travel height reduction)

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Bondurant runs a 285/35 Goodyear F1. Holy hell that thing sticks on the track!!! My vision was blurring around the corners...
That is a 9.5" wide wheel though....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are you still happy with the smaller 35 size as far as gear ratio....I assume you have a 6 speed 5.7,does it improve banging through the gears on the street and overall driving feel ..are you having any computer issues...how far off is your speedo?....Thanks

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
694 Posts

275/40-20's up front [ stock ]...305/35-20's rear [DR's but it's how it would look ]

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you still happy with the smaller 35 size as far as gear ratio....I assume you have a 6 speed 5.7,does it improve banging through the gears on the street and overall driving feel ..are you having any computer issues...how far off is your speedo?....Thanks
I like the 35 ratio, 265 in front is very short and changes the speedo by 3mph. No issue with any electronics. It feel more agile and has a rake now. I pulls harder now, about 300rpm more at same speed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My car has the Dynamics package so I have the 9.5 inch rims. I am running MPSS 295/35/20 on the rear and 265/35/20 on the front with no issues. There is a little more fender gap but not enough to switch back to the 40's.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,021 Posts
They can throw him in his fender gap :)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 30 Posts