Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so yes I am always finding problems with other peoples workmanship and it nags at me if things are not right, however with age and what I believe to be wisdom I have learnt to rely more on the warranty than everything being right all the time.

So to my question, I was just browsing over the engine bay yesterday on the 392 and checking the infamous water pump play or leak, which so far I don't see any so that's good, however I happened to check the radiator hoses and clamp positions and I found this on the lower radiator hose where it is connected to the water pump (see picture attached). The radiator hose is not leaking and the spring clamp appears to be sitting above the bead (not on the bead but the spring clamp is right above the bead, see the red line in the picture) on the water pump port however the radiator hose is not fully seated to the index tab on the water pump port (see the yellow lines and gap in the picture).

Would you be concerned? I know if I mention it to my dealer they will say it ain't broke so don't fix it until its a problem. Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Lower rad hose.jpg

·
Premium Member
The Pork Wagon (‘14 Cop Charger)
7,345 Posts
I personally wouldn’t worry, but I would also pull up onto some ramps and crawl up under it to push it forward to the tab.

If you are unable to do that, wait until your next oil change and mention it to the oil change person. Show them the picture and ask if they can push the hose forward for you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I was thinking the same, I tried to grab the hose from the top and pull it up but it didn't move at all. Next oil change when I have her up on the race ramps I will try to push the hose up from the bottom. Experience tell me once radiator hoses are on they pretty much glue in place, having taken many apart even after removing the spring clamp the hose is usually still stuck in place. I am not sure it will move but worth a try at least.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Those types of clamps require a special tool to deal with them (sure, you can use pliers but it’s a pain). Without that tool, the hose isn’t going to move...either forward or backward.

Ive seen two different designs of the clamp tool used to loosen those clamps, one is a worm drive that clamps onto it, and the other is a wire connected grabber that actuates like a vacuum pump.

The former design is smaller and more affordable, and the latter is less cumbersome and more expensive. You should be able to find the worm drive kind in a local let’s house. The remote wire kind will likely have to be ordered from some specialty tool places or possibly amazon.

Get one of those if you really want to move the hose up onto the pump neck. Otherwise it will be a big hassle for little gain using regular pliers or something similar.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Being a perfectionist I totally get it, would nag at me too. But one thing I have learned over the years is that "perfect can be the enemy of good".

This is a cosmetics issue and not on the outside of the car. Your clamp is perfectly positioned if it is just behind the ridge and looks like you have sufficient/plenty hose out beyond the clamp (not riding the ragged edge of hose).

You will not gain a better seal by moving anything from current position, its in a great position. Just doesn't have the cosmetics of going beyond the clamp all the way to the stop nub (as you and I would have done).

Cooling systems can be quite finicky to keep sealed and once you start jockeying things around you can wind up with sealing issues. Your clamp is also likely nestled into the hose with somewhat of an indention into the hose. So you mostly would probably want to the keep the clamp where it is married to the hose and if you slide everything the clamp will be further away from the ridge.

Best of luck whichever way you go!

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
that lower hose clamp is tight access - you'd want to remove the serpentine belt - with the cooling fan / shroud in place its going to be tight.

you'd have to take the clamp down the hose, fully off from the water pump neck and then push the hose up, then get the clamp re-positioned.

I've done it with battery pliers and that clamp has a high amount of pressure, and the tight access to it as I've described above

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the feedback and I agree sometimes you just have to let it go, even though it is very very hard to accept. I agree the clamp looks secure, there are no leaks, the system is functioning correctly and not losing coolant and above all its still under warranty so if the hose slips off I would assume this would be covered under warranty.

As Fallguy007 said not how I would have built it but I am sure glad I have the warranty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Just make 100% sure clamp is back behind the ridge and not resting any on top of the ridge whatsoever. Thinking thats a pretty long neck per your photo. Great picture with illustration !!

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
I have driven my car with a hose that was not quite securely in place, and it came off the first time I went WOT.

If you have subjected the car to any WOT yet, and that hose is still on there, I’d say you are good to go.

·
Registered
95 Posts
With hose off, see photo. Maybe you can look at one at the parts counter in dealership and take measurement of how long the neck area is before the ridge at the end.

Measure or take a sticky note with you, hold one end of sticky note flush against the index tab nub/base and make a mark on sticky note just prior to ridge (takes out any error of measuring). Then take the sticky note and compare to your ride.
2011-2020 Mopar part # 68346916AA

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or just use the picture to scale it from the diameter of the water pump pulley, and now I am concerned :(. looks like the clamp is sitting right on the bead half below and half above give or take based on the scaling factor error however much too close for my comfort that's for sure. Maybe worth trip to the dealer before I start to mess with it but I am not excited about it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Going to dealer is a pain and they never run on time etc etc. Shoot for Monday morning appointments first thing am even if you have to wait a week for a monday appt. Things get progressively worse and they are more and more behind as week goes by.

Keep looking it over but if you think it needs moved I wouldn't mess with it. If you do move it by yourself and ever have a problem of any sort further on, never ever mention you moved.

More and more I looked at your photo seemed like clamp could be riding somewhere on top of the ridge (major no go). But way better to catch it now, you are ahead of the game and not stranded!

Pretty straightforward deal but may be a wrestle match. Print your photo and lay in on the driver seat when you drop it off, surprising how much gets lost in translation when gets back to the mechanic (picture is worth 1000 words).

·
Registered
735 Posts
I would slide the hose up along with the clamp. You can clearly see where the hose is suppose to be up to the stop on the pump. This means the clamp is on the ridge. Dodge designed the pump to allow the hose to go up further for a reason.

·
Premium Member
7,345 Posts
Hell, just grab it and yank as hard as you can. If you can’t pull it off, it‘s not going to just fall off later on down the road.

Reactions: Parrott_350

·
Registered
2014 Dodge Challenger SRT 392
136 Posts
I just recently had this problem with my 2020 scat pack took it in (Stealership)with only 1800 miles and yes the pulley was drubbing against the lower hose and caused a small leakage,coolant spill all over the engine bay.i receive my car back tommrow

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all and some good advise in these posts.
I just recently had this problem with my 2020 scat pack took it in (Stealership)with only 1800 miles and yes the pulley was drubbing against the lower hose and caused a small leakage,coolant spill all over the engine bay.i receive my car back tommrow
#rickytan Did you have the same problem as in the picture I posted? was the lower radiator hose slipping off the water pump or very close to the end of it or was it more a case of the lower radiator hose rubbing on the pulley from misalignment? Would be interested to hear your feedback.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack Shaker
702 Posts
The clamp has to be removed and the seal between the hose and water pump must be broken loose to move the hose. Leakage will likely happen even if the radiator is drained. IMO this clearly falls into "if it aint broke don't fix it". Since you are aware of it just give it a look whenever you service the car.

Reactions: YouMadBro

·
Registered
95 Posts
They should be able to loosen the clamp, twist hose a bit (if needed) then give it a heave ho shove further forward. Would think maybe 2oz total lost? But then again this is a dealership......... Either way, check your fluid before you drive off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts