Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! Just got done installing a new alternator in my 2012 Challenger 5.7 While I had been doing that, I noticed there was a pooling of white crud/mixed with some red/orange on the splash panels, which seems to be the coolant. There's small traces on the passenger side of the radiator, a little below the drain valve, a lot on the edge of the engine's oil pan (seems to water fall from the lower radiator hose/water pump inlet).

I believe I traced the source of the leakage to "around" the waterpump inlet/lower radiator hose connection to engine block... but not quite sure if it's being dripped on by something else, or leaking from the hose, I did see some fresh, red coolant pooling on the clamp... I think the traces over the engine compartment are probably from wind, splashed around by pulleys...

Does anyone know if, why and how this hose would leak? Could the water block gasket be leaking instead and dripping onto this hose? The hose condition looks fine, just red pooling inside of the c-clamp (see pictures).

Also, I'm going to see if I can pick up a new hose at my local dealer; does anyone know some proper steps to installing the new hose and what to check for to make sure it doesn't leak again?

Can barely see it, there's was red liquid between the oval clearing in the clamp. The white line seems to be dripped residue. (really big HD photo, feel free to zoom)

Condition of the hose seems pretty normal...

Any help would be much appreciated!

MODS, I realized I should've posted this to Challenger Issues / Problems, please move at your discretion :) thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need this car up and running fast, hate to rush it - but my plan is to purchase a new radiator hose + clamps, drain the radiator, remove the old hose, inspect the area above the hose (water pump) and check for leaks. If no leaks found, replace with new hose and clamps, otherwise, take other action. Just got done reading up on how to refill the coolant... that's a hefty read but i think I understand. Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update, turns out the coolant temperature sensor was leaking - mopar red sealant probably deteriorated. Patched up with some teflon tape and torqued it down. No more leaks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts