Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really interested in lowering my 2016 RT manual tranny, however I am finding a lot of conflicting information across a few different threads. Some say you need new shocks with a manual, some say you don't. Saw a few people say to get new struts as well while others said just lowering springs. What's the deal here? Thanks in advance and sorry if this was posted somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
So i have an identical vehicle, let me share my experience on lowering.

Lowering Springs

-cost effective parts
-labor intensive

So the springs themselves are cheap, but require almost the same (if not more) labor to swap them out in your factory shocks. The rears are divorced so its not too bad. I remember paying about $700 installed with parts and labor for eibach (sport line? The lowest option)

Most spring kits wont change your alignment to the point of needing correction, unless you go super low like I did. If thats the case, you have options to correct the camber front and rear. Most cost effective options would be the moog “problem solver” ball joints for the front upper control arms, and offset bushings for the rear.

Coilovers

-designed to work together with shock and spring to offer highest performance
-fully adjustable (depending on budget and brand you go with) including height, stiffness, and sometimes even camber plates
-labor is quicker/equivalent to the springs, but cost of parts is higher with entry level coilovers starting around $1,000

Me personally, i went through each step before i landed a good deal on a set of KW coilovers, adjust control arms in the front, and those offset bushings in the rear. Remember, this is to stop only the corners of your tires wearing out if you drop it substantially.

More and more people are buying mopar stage 1 springs or srt spec springs. This is a very safe bet as they have been engineered for our cars, however you might want to consider new shocks with the springs if you care about handling.

If it’s just the drop and improvement in looks you want, i would say mopar springs and you are set

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right now it's just the drop, I may look at new shocks at some point however, the car doesn't have that many miles on it to justify the cost of new shocks yet, in my mind anyhow. However, the confusion quickly became as to whether you HAVE to replace them with lowering springs or if it was just something you did for handling. I am either looking at Mopar or eibach, I have the oem wheel upgrades that are the 20" wheels, I also am unsure how this will affect everything as well. Never had a car I felt like putting money into after I bought it but man I love the Challenger.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
I had my car lowered on Eibach Pros a few months after I got it. Just the springs. No issues and it aligned with no extra parts.

A Guy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Right now it's just the drop, I may look at new shocks at some point however, the car doesn't have that many miles on it to justify the cost of new shocks yet, in my mind anyhow. However, the confusion quickly became as to whether you HAVE to replace them with lowering springs or if it was just something you did for handling. I am either looking at Mopar or eibach, I have the oem wheel upgrades that are the 20" wheels, I also am unsure how this will affect everything as well. Never had a car I felt like putting money into after I bought it but man I love the Challenger.
The shocks are usually designed work with the ride hight, when you lower a car the shock is out of its useable range. It will cause the shocks to wear faster, and your ride quality will suffer. If your drop is not the significant you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I was really just looking at the Mopar stage 1 lowering springs
IMO go with the Mopar set, not too many things to wonder about. Dont worry about the extra strain on your shocks, i went 40k miles on the eibach springs in my factory shocks before changing them prematurely.

Just learn how to take bumps and driveways better, good luck OP!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IMO go with the Mopar set, not too many things to wonder about. Dont worry about the extra strain on your shocks, i went 40k miles on the eibach springs in my factory shocks before changing them prematurely.

Just learn how to take bumps and driveways better, good luck OP!
I drove a lower sitting car before I got the Challenger, definitely no stranger to the bumps, which is why I am wanting to lower her to start with, that gap is pretty big. At first I was thinking I didn't want to mess with it however after seeing a few lowered I am sold. Springs first, exhaust second. A catch can somewhere in there as well. :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I drove a lower sitting car before I got the Challenger, definitely no stranger to the bumps, which is why I am wanting to lower her to start with, that gap is pretty big. At first I was thinking I didn't want to mess with it however after seeing a few lowered I am sold. Springs first, exhaust second. A catch can somewhere in there as well. :)
Dont forget to take pics man!

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
24,110 Posts
Yes, she's a suspension expert

A Guy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts