Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have read a million times how springs "settle". It never made sense to me as springs should have a spring rate, and if designed for the vehicle they are installed on, they shouldn't "settle. When I had my springs installed, I asked the shop if there was a followup alignment after they settled. They told me springs do not settle. I found this strange since everyone says they do, even if it didn't make sense to me. My car has had the Eibach Pros for about 15 months...never settled one iota...exactly the same as the day I had them installed.

I was thinking about this today while reading a post. How in the heck can you decide what to get if they will "settle" to some unknown height. And how can a manufacturer make a spring where the spring rate is apparently arbitrary? My assumption is that this settling is just the springs seating in the isolators, and if the correct orientation is set at install, and /or the isolators were brand new (as with my 2 month old car), then any "settling" would be negligible.

Well, I figured I'd start a discussion >:)

From Eibach FAQ:

When Eibach suspension springs are fitted, will the car sit at the correct ride height or will it need time to settle?

All Eibach suspension coils are pre-set to eliminate settling and increase life expectancy. Some minimal settling may occur as the new spring mates up to an existing rubber suspension isolator, this is normal, but is not the same as a poorly produced spring which may take a set and effect the ride height, handling and alignment of the vehicle.
WHITELINE PERFORMANCE LOWERING SPRINGS - F.A.Q

Should I drive the vehicle before measuring the finished heights?

Yes. We recommend you take a short drive prior to measuring the heights. This allows the springs to settle into the mounting points.
Tire Rack: Five Common Myths About Using Lowering Springs to Lower Your Car

Myth 4: Lowering springs will sag and settle in, making the car too low to be practical.

Fact: High quality springs from H&R and Eibach are pre-compressed down to full coil bind and tested before they are shipped. They do not sag. In fact, Eibach warranties their springs for one million miles.
Do a google and it's people asking, "How long before springs settle?". I'm thinking a high strength tensile steel coil with a measurable spring rate will not change. It can only be their relationship to the mounting area that can change. If installed completely correctly, there would be no change. Does the car from the factory "settle" after a period? Are those not new springs?

Discuss...

A Guy

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
The Eibach spring on my last car never settled. I put 100k miles on the car and felt/drove the same the day I sold it as it did the day I installed them.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,181 Posts
When I swapped out the OE springs on my 2011 with those off an SRT, there was some settling in the front, but it was only about a quarter of an inch. I also swapped out the shocks and cut a coil off the springs when I did the swap, so my case may be an edge one indeed though.

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
So, I have read a million times how springs "settle". It never made sense to me as springs should have a spring rate, and if designed for the vehicle they are installed on, they shouldn't "settle. When I had my springs installed, I asked the shop if there was a followup alignment after they settled. They told me springs do not settle. I found this strange since everyone says they do, even if it didn't make sense to me. My car has had the Eibach Pros for about 15 months...never settled one iota...exactly the same as the day I had them installed.

I was thinking about this today while reading a post. How in the heck can you decide what to get if they will "settle" to some unknown height. And how can a manufacturer make a spring where the spring rate is apparently arbitrary? My assumption is that this settling is just the springs seating in the isolators, and if the correct orientation is set at install, and /or the isolators were brand new (as with my 2 month old car), then any "settling" would be negligible.

Well, I figured I'd start a discussion >:)

From Eibach FAQ:

WHITELINE PERFORMANCE LOWERING SPRINGS - F.A.Q

Tire Rack: Five Common Myths About Using Lowering Springs to Lower Your Car

Do a google and it's people asking, "How long before springs settle?". I'm thinking a high strength tensile steel coil with a measurable spring rate will not change. It can only be their relationship to the mounting area that can change. If installed completely correctly, there would be no change. Does the car from the factory "settle" after a period? Are those not new springs?

Discuss...

A Guy
The Eibach Sportlines (2" drop) did settle after the initial install. I noticed the fronts had a tighter gap. Over the next 3 year post install, it never changed from that.

I think if you compare to the moment the tires hit the ground vs. a couple of days, there's a difference.

I put new (lowering) springs on my Benz on Oct 1st. Took before / after measurements - the warranty registration required that from the manufacturer.
Since they've been on for 4 weeks, I'll what might have changed.

They'd spec'd 1.4" drop (35mm) front & rear, when I measured right after the install the rears dropped 1"...

BTW - it seems the correct measurement is from bottom lip of wheel to fender. That's how the manufacturer specified to measure.
That's your measurement despite whatever tire you have since that's directly off the end of the suspension member to the body.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
My KW's settled around 1/4" all around after a couple of weeks. Depends on if the fuel tank is full or not also.

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
My KW's settled around 1/4" all around after a couple of weeks. Depends on if the fuel tank is full or not also.
Yes that would definitely make a difference. In a Challenger, a full tank is ~ 116#, so it would make a slight difference at the rear height.

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
6,181 Posts
Yes that would definitely make a difference. In a Challenger, a full tank is ~ 116#, so it would make a slight difference at the rear height.
Add a Nuke in on top of that full tank and you're only a little south of 500 lbs...add that to the tuna boat weight of these cars from the factory, and it sounds like SOMEBODY needs to go on a diet...ill leave it up to you to decide which one - the Nuke or the car.

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
Add a Nuke in on top of that full tank and you're only a little south of 500 lbs...add that to the tuna boat weight of these cars from the factory, and it sounds like SOMEBODY needs to go on a diet...ill leave it up to you to decide which one - the Nuke or the car.
1/2 size steaks for you!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I wish this site would update their software to do emoji replies like every other. Tired of saying "thanks" when I just want to say Like, Funny or agree and quit letting everyone know I proofread after posting then need to edit :) Funny for this thread.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My point is while the car might be lower, the springs themselves do not settle, its the isolators, or orientation. Certainly lots of anecdotal evidence of a car settling lower. But it's unlikely good quality, high tensile strength, set spring rate, steel springs, settle to a lower sprung height just because they are used a while. As if they were stiff, and got less stiff. I think it must be the other components, especially the isolators. It would also explain why myself and challenger4me didn't see any measurable drop. I would have liked a little lower if it was even, but was surprised when my shop said they would not settle...perhaps because of the way they install them? I can't say. A Guy

·
Super Moderator
15,407 Posts
I put new (lowering) springs on my Benz on Oct 1st. Took before / after measurements - the warranty registration required that from the manufacturer.
Since they've been on for 4 weeks, I'll what might have changed.

They'd spec'd 1.4" drop (35mm) front & rear, when I measured right after the install the rears dropped 1"...

BTW - it seems the correct measurement is from bottom lip of wheel to fender. That's how the manufacturer specified to measure.
That's your measurement despite whatever tire you have since that's directly off the end of the suspension member to the body.
Just checked the measurements - after 27 days, the drop measures exactly the same as the day I did the install. And this is with a new set of spring pads (shims) that I installed (thinner than what assembly line used) on this go around to gain a little more drop with the new springs.

[Mercedes uses various thickness spring pads to achieve a ride height. Pads vary from 5mm to 23mm. Their pads install on TOP of the spring, which affects ride height front and rear. On Chrysler applications only the rears used spring isolators like that, and they're on the BOTTOM of spring, so it doesn't play into ride height]

·
Registered
486 Posts
I wish this site would update their software to do emoji replies like every other. Tired of saying "thanks" when I just want to say Like, Funny or agree and quit letting everyone know I proofread after posting then need to edit :) Funny for this thread.
:dunno:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have the Eibach Pro Kit as well. Installed about 6 weeks ago and the car is still the same height.

Before and after pic. Tried to lighten up the pics to show the height differences. Hard to pic it up with the black wheels.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts