Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New member here -- first post!

Anyways, I recently bought a 2018 Challenger GT and love almost everything about the car. Pretty much the only thing that I do not love is the stance/ride height. I have been looking for some lowering springs to solve this problem, but I cannot find any that specifically say they will work with the GT model. I know the GT chassis is pretty unique compared to the other Challenger models, so I am hesitant to try any springs that do not explicitly say they will work for it.

Has anyone done this or know of any lowering springs that explicitly state they will fit the GT? Also, does anyone know if the shocks will need to be changed?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul

·
Registered
352 Posts
Welcome from Maine!
Yeah the wheel gap is pretty outrageous. The ride itself even feels a bit high. If I could lower my car, I would in a heartbeat. Unfortunately for me its not an option. I live at the end of a dirt road and travel them often. I have almost bottomed out several times already and I have only had my car a few weeks. #countrylivingproblems
Sorry for the ramble, I know I didn't answer your question haha. Post some pics and let us know how the project goes.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,725 Posts

·
Registered
14,388 Posts
Is the GT AWD higher than a standard SXT or R/T? Need the build sheet to get the spring codes to see if the springs are unique. Somebody here went the other way, he put R/T springs on an SRT to raise the front end because of the snow and it worked fine even with the adjustable shocks on the SRT.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
15,542 Posts
I recall the Challenger GTs do have a higher ride height - probably to have clearance in snow and these ride on 19" wheel with 55 series rubber.

It would be possible to lower it, its a question of which spring would work best give the purpose intended for the GT and the tire - body clearance

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
It's also partly due to clearance of the front diff, driveshaft, and having the right CV axle angles. OEMs have a lot of internal standards for packaging and clearance. Also the AWD front suspension is significantly different to allow space for the CV axles.

That said, it can be done. A friend of mine has a Magnum R/T AWD, lowered on coilovers. It is absolutely tied down coming out of corners, the grip is awesome. Unfortunately I believe he said sometimes he gets vibrations from the front axles depending on how he has the height set. He has had to replace front axles more frequently, but it I suppose it could be other factors as well. His car is pretty low.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I cut the stock coils on mine 2 wks after getting it home. I had the springs in and out about 6 times trimming a little at a time untill it looked just right!
before:
and after
wheel well gap

sorry the after pic came out so dark , it was a LONG day ,lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jcs64,

That looks awesome and is exactly the look I am going for! Any idea how much you ended up cutting off each of the springs?

Also, how does it ride with the springs shortened?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
13 Posts
jcs64,

That looks awesome and is exactly the look I am going for! Any idea how much you ended up cutting off each of the springs?

Paul
Thanks, Ill take a look tomorrow and stack all the cut pcs back together to see how much I cut off. As for the ride, id say it feels exactly the same.

jeff

·
Registered
352 Posts
I cut the stock coils on mine 2 wks after getting it home. I had the springs in and out about 6 times trimming a little at a time untill it looked just right!
Looks amazing! I need to leave mine high due to the roads I drive on and snow I drive through, but I am very jealous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
so heres the aftermath! I had forgotten how much i cut, so i had to put the pcs of the puzzle back together :) The results are one and a quarter coils removed from the front and rear springs. On the rears , i thought just a little more would be perfect (you can see the extra 1/8 of a coil on the one stack), this ended up being too much and i made some 3/16" spacers to drop in the spring pockets, PERFECT!

thanks, Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Challenger GT AWD
7 Posts
before:
and after
wheel well gap

sorry the after pic came out so dark , it was a LONG day ,lol
This is my first post as well. I bought a 2018 GT AWD which hasn't seen wet pavement yet just because I'm retired and have a 2nd vehicle. Well I live in the Shelton, CT area and being a female, tend to find mechanics that TRY to take advantage of it when performing work. My father had several Road Runners so I'm a MOPAR girl at heart. I obviously am not going to chop up my springs and need to find a reputable mechanic to perform this work. Have any suggestions?
Regards, hemoore

·
Registered
2018 Challenger GT AWD
7 Posts
Hi all,

New member here -- first post!

Anyways, I recently bought a 2018 Challenger GT and love almost everything about the car. Pretty much the only thing that I do not love is the stance/ride height. I have been looking for some lowering springs to solve this problem, but I cannot find any that specifically say they will work with the GT model. I know the GT chassis is pretty unique compared to the other Challenger models, so I am hesitant to try any springs that do not explicitly say they will work for it.

Has anyone done this or know of any lowering springs that explicitly state they will fit the GT? Also, does anyone know if the shocks will need to be changed?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Paul
jcs64,

Thanks,

Paul
I have been following your discussion with jcs64 about lowering your 2018 AWD GT. I am in the same boat as you however being a female am not going to be able to do the work myself -- although being raised a MOPAR girl and being in the garage with my dad and brother. I live in the Shelton, CT area and don't know of any mechanics I can trust to do this work.....or at least without messing something up and charging me an arm & leg being a female. LOL. Any ideas?
Regards,
hemoore

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,725 Posts
Welcome to Challengertalk ;) BTW, being a female doesn't automatically mean you can't do mechanical stuff :) It's understandable when anyone cannot however. I had lowering springs installed, no garage, etc.

A Guy

·
Registered
2018 Challenger GT AWD
7 Posts
Thanks for your response. While I do the basic maintenance on my other vehicles, the Challenger's sensors and computer related set up intimidates me. Even though I went to MIT, doing anything on it that might mess things up and void the warranty seriously scares me. To put the lowering springs on, don't you need a spring press?
Thanks again for your "welcome" and wish I could find someone in the CT area I could speak with face-to-face.
Stay healthy, safe, etc. and enjoy your ride.
Best regards, hemoore

1 - 16 of 16 Posts