Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am interested in lowering my Challenger, yet have never seen anyone do this, or know much about it at all.

What are the benefits?
How do I go about doing this?

Thanks,
A confused Brickhouse

·
Registered
588 Posts
You haven't tried the search feature? Type in "lowering" or "springs" or "eibach"

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
I see you have an 2014 SXT from your "About Me" page.

I also have the same model and have lowered my car using Eibach's Sport-System (springs and dampers). Great improvement over the stock system both in appearance and in handling. The stock system is very soft and "floaty" and the wheel gap had mine sitting way too high for the stock 18" wheels.

Most people here on the forums went with the "Pro" version over the "Sport" from Eibach from what I have read since some believe the Sport version gives too rough of a ride. I have never minded how my daily driver feels with the Sport version and I drive 60+ miles a day on both highway and city streets. I'm still running on the stock 18" wheels and the car just looks meaner with the 2"+ drop. No rubbing and only high curbs and speed bumps really need to be crossed with some care.

I don't have any photos up yet of the car as it is now but I don't think you could go wrong with lowing your car unless you want much bigger wheels on your car.

In addition to springs and dampers you should get some parts to help get the alignment right (adjustable control arms and alignment kit). This gets the camber where it should be for better tire wear.

Search the web for "lowered Challengers" you should find some good photos of different kits and search the forums as well.

Reactions: MHillstrand

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Here's a good example.

·
Registered
518 Posts
One of the most popular mods actually. I put in mopar stage 1 lower springs on mine, wasn't too pricey, and lowered about 1-1.5". the wheel gap looks normal now and not sure why it was originally set up to be an off road vehicle.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 2017 scat pack. can the factory rear suspension be lowered with changing anything?
the front is ok I would like the rear to be about a inch or 2 lower.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hello everyone,

I am interested in lowering my Challenger, yet have never seen anyone do this, or know much about it at all.

What are the benefits?
How do I go about doing this?

Thanks,
A confused Brickhouse
I have an '11 SRT8 and lowered it with Hotchkis springs. Lowered it by about 1 1/2". In my case I absolutely could not go any lower than 1 1/2" for two reasons.
First, much more lowering would probably require some additional suspension work in order to get the wheel alignment correct.
Second, and I didn't realize this until after I drove it around for several days, but if I am not careful, my front spoiler will scrub frequently as you enter/exit parking lots and driveways. Also going over speed-bumps, I have to be very careful as well as it will quickly bottom out and hit the M6 transmission mount pretty hard.
For me lowering by about 1 1/2" turned out the be the perfect balance between good looks, handling and all around drive ability.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,774 Posts
There are other benefits, but for me...stock was too damn high! I'd like even lower, but this is Eibach Pro, and aligned with no extra parts

Before

After

A Guy

Reactions: MHillstrand

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
How did everyone install their systems???
I had a professional alignment shop do mine. About three hours of labor but worth it since I wanted the alignment done right. Camber is right in spec even with the lower than normal drop (compared to the Eibach Pro version). I also swapped out many other stock suspension parts for stiffer parts (links/bushings) for a firmer ride.

Like I said, the stock system was just too passenger car for my taste. I wanted to feel the road I was on, not just float over it. I haven't rode in any other models of the Challenger (RT/SRT/Hellcat) yet but the SXT to me was too soft.

If you're just going with springs and dampers you likely could do it yourself and have a shop do the alignment if you are mechanically inclined (which I'm not).

I just drive them, clean them and wax them. The rest I leave to the professionals.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,774 Posts
I had a custom shop install mine. A Guy

·
Registered
175 Posts
I did mine myself(eibach sportline). You will need, spring compressor(rent at auto parts store), torque wrench, crows feet sockets, floor jack and jack stands and basic hand tools9metric). If you are not familiar or comfortable compressing springs let a shop do it. Also help with the rear is recommended but not necessary. Took me about 5 hours taking my time. A lift would defiantly speed things up. It is well worth doing. Looks and handles a lot better. You could save money too since you have an sxt by buying some used srt springs.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Here's my 2010 SRT

Attachments

·
Premium Member
97 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the help. My challenger has a lot of work compared to all of yours!

Looking into this! Definitely having a custom shop do it for me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts