Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am an owner of a 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT Plus. I currently have the 3.6L V6 engine in it. I was curious if anyone has done an ls swap in a Challenger before?

I'm thinking of tossing a 6.0L V8 in there. Not sure if there are existing kits or parts out there to make it work. Just want some feedback or any words of advice.

·
Registered
2021 Challenger SXT, Octane Red Metallic, Ruby Red/Black Int.
293 Posts
I am an owner of a 2015 dodge challenger sxt plus. I currently have the 3.6L V6 engine in it. I was curious if anyone has done an ls swap in a challenger before? I'm thinking of tossing a 6.0L V8 in there. Not sure if there are existing kits or parts out there to make it work. Just want some feedback or any words of advice.
Buy an R/T, a lot less hassle and more cost effective.

·
Premium Member
2021 JEEP Wrangler Unlimited Willys 4X4
2,183 Posts
That’s what I’d want in a newer MoPar...a frigging LS swap. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
A quick search of the internet reveals you won’t be the first to do it, and given the aftermarket support for the LS I would think anything is possible.
If it’s what you want, do it. Just be sure to provide pictures. I’d follow the build with interest but have no plans to swap out my 6.4!

·
Registered
2009 B5 SRT8 M6
220 Posts
You would basically be stripping the car down to a body in white, as it is unlikely to get any of the stock electronics working again. And, like others say, will not be worth it in the end as for cost.

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
I see these "I want to swap engines" questions often and wonder if this is an "age and understanding" thing?

I'm 58 and when I was a kid, we would swap engines all the time in late 60's and early 70's cars. 383 to 440s, big block Chevy to small blocks, pull a 6 cylinder out and drop in a V8--- all in a couple of hours. All this was pretty straight forward, doable and things worked. I think that the systems were so basic that the electronics seemed to work with every combination and mechanically (most) seem to bolt on with no heavy lifting.

Now, the electronics are SO complex that you need to keep things 1:1. For example, a V6 Challenger will have a much different electronic system than a V8. Engine harnesses, computer module(s), dash displays, any emissions ....etc. are designed pretty specific.

So, swapping--- while "doable" is so complex, that the juice is not worth the squeeze.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
I did many engine swaps back in the day. The electrical system sometimes needed a few wires lengthened, but that was about the biggest hassle in those days with an engine swap. I know anything is possible given money and motivation, but not everything is a good idea.

·
Registered
2018 TA 392 M6; F8 Green
136 Posts
More work and expense than you probably want to deal with. And, I’m a purist who thinks that GM motors don’t belong in Dodge cars!
Almost everybody who asks about supercharging a 3.5 /3.6 or getting more power, via swap or performance mods, is told the same thing:
buy the next size engine Challenger model.

·
Premium Member
4,009 Posts
I am an owner of a 2015 dodge challenger sxt plus. I currently have the 3.6L V6 engine in it. I was curious if anyone has done an ls swap in a challenger before? I'm thinking of tossing a 6.0L V8 in there. Not sure if there are existing kits or parts out there to make it work. Just want some feedback or any words of advice.
Welcome to the Forum from Alabama. If it was me, I would sell it and get what you can afford. A hell of a lot less hassle and probably more cost effective.

·
Registered
385 Posts
They put hellcat motors in everything, not the other way around.
But it's your car. It might be cool to have a LS in a v6 Challenger.
I am sure some people have already done it. I know I wouldn't put a Chevy motor in a modern Challenger or probably any Challenger.

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
245 Posts
From someone who has LS swapped a 77 Trans Am just go buy an R/T. Engine /tranny and installing all of the conversion parts - which they do actually make for my old Tran Am, cost nearly $15k to $20k using all new parts. Not to mention beefing up driveline, suspension and brakes to handle the extra power.

I never felt great about putting a Chevy engine in my Pontiac (although the factory did that themselves for 40 years) so I tried to make it look more Pontiac like🙂)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts