Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Completed the install last week itching to test out the gains but I have read there is a 500 mile break in process. I have put about 150 miles on of "normal" driving. For those guru's out there that may have already completed this upgrade how long before you got on it??

-Dogg

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
could not help my self, broke the tires loose on the way home from my buddies shop. Something weird with mine too, it was already filled with lube, added the bottle of friction modifier and then went to put in fluid and it was full.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
could not help my self, broke the tires loose on the way home from my buddies shop. Something weird with mine too, it was already filled with lube, added the bottle of friction modifier and then went to put in fluid and it was full.
Mine was almost full as well... So no issues after breaking it loose on the way home??

-Dogg

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Completed the install last week itching to test out the gains but I have read there is a 500 mile break in process. I have put about 150 miles on of "normal" driving. For those guru's out there that may have already completed this upgrade how long before you got on it??

View attachment 993939

-Dogg
BREAK IN PROCEDURE A new ring and pinion installed with new bearing following will initially generate higher than normal operating temperatures. It is advisable to use whichever of the break in procedures matches your application. GENERAL USE 1) With vehicle still on jack stands and rear-end filled with proper amount of lube, run in forward and reverse approximately 2 to 3 minutes. * * 2) Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speeds. 3) Do not do any heavy towing for 300 miles. (Trucks Only) SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS STREET: 1) With car still on jack stands and rear-end filled with proper amount of lube, run in forward and reverse approximately 2 to 3 minutes. * 2) Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speeds. Accelerate and decelerate several times conservatively, then let cool for one hour. OVAL TRACK: 1) Repeat step one above. * 2) Run several laps at slow to medium speeds; let cool. 3) Run several hot laps; let cool. DRAG RACE: 1) Repeat step one above. *** 2) Pull to line.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BREAK IN PROCEDURE A new ring and pinion installed with new bearing following will initially generate higher than normal operating temperatures. It is advisable to use whichever of the break in procedures matches your application. GENERAL USE 1) With vehicle still on jack stands and rear-end filled with proper amount of lube, run in forward and reverse approximately 2 to 3 minutes. * * 2) Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speeds. 3) Do not do any heavy towing for 300 miles. (Trucks Only) SPECIFIC APPLICATIONS STREET: 1) With car still on jack stands and rear-end filled with proper amount of lube, run in forward and reverse approximately 2 to 3 minutes. * 2) Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speeds. Accelerate and decelerate several times conservatively, then let cool for one hour. OVAL TRACK: 1) Repeat step one above. 2) Run several laps at slow to medium speeds; let cool. 3) Run several hot laps; let cool. DRAG RACE: 1) Repeat step one above. ** 2) Pull to line.
Wow I did none of those applications I just been driving like my grandma for like 4 days straight. So if I am reading this correctly I should be more than good to go at this point!!

-Dogg

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Wow I did none of those applications I just been driving like my grandma for like 4 days straight. So if I am reading this correctly I should be more than good to go at this point!!

-Dogg
yeah you should be good. Basically need to run it through the process of heating it up slowly and letting it cool to let the gears properly mate. It's not a bad idea to take it somewhat easy on it say 300-500 miles to be on the safe side. Also it's recommended by some to change the diff fluid after the first 500-1k Miles.

·
Registered
563 Posts
A couple heat cycles is usually all it takes to break in a new R&P. 25-50 miles at light throttle to get up to temp and then complete cool down 2-3 times and then a fluid change. that's how it was recommended back in the day. current machine tolerances and materials may change that but a few heat cycles should have you good to go.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
400 Miles in....

-Dogg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts