Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard and read nothing..even speculation..regarding the possibility of the Challenger having Limited Slip Differential, POSI, or the MB rearend. Haven't read or heard anything on the possible gear ratio's either. Anyone care to speculate or give their thoughts and preferences on this?
I would like POSI and low 3's for the rear myself. Would be nice if certain packages at purchase offered different setups like back in muscle car days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish at least one car manufacturer would offer the option selections like in days of old. Imagine being able to hand select every single thing on your car to get the most for your money (no AC, radio delete, hand crank windows, ect...)

POSI would be awsome, but in a car made today I doubt it.

Don't worry though, the aftermarket support should cover that

·
Registered
492 Posts
artimishoke said:
I wish at least one car manufacturer would offer the option selections like in days of old. Imagine being able to hand select every single thing on your car to get the most for your money (no AC, radio delete, hand crank windows, ect...)

POSI would be awsome, but in a car made today I doubt it.

Don't worry though, the aftermarket support should cover that
Amen to that! :D

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mr.DJ said:
Amen to that! :D
I just might have to buy a CMC machine and get my computer brainiac son to design special wheels...one off.:)

1,931 Posts
I can remember when you could add each option separately..no "groups". Used to be able to ask for something like 4.11 rears and they would install even if it wasn't offered as an option.:(

·
Registered
14 Posts
Groups make it easier for automakers to kick out the cars so that you the car buyer are then forced to buy what ever sort of crap options they think we want.

It seems like you have to pay big bucks for one thing you want just to get shafted with a bunch of techno-junk you don't even really need. I don't get how if I want a sunroof I must also somewhere deep in my mind want heated seats and rain sensing windshield wipers...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if it is possible to change, or have changed, the rearend on the MB drive?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone know the best combo for launch and cruise? Is that 3.55 or 3.73 range?

·
Registered
4 Posts
agreed. Not to bring ford into it but thier rears were always the easiest to swap out. I would like a high gear like 3.73s and for track day 4.90s

·
Registered
21 Posts
HIGH_HEMI said:
Anyone know the best combo for launch and cruise? Is that 3.55 or 3.73 range?
I would pick something that would put me close to 3,000 RPMs at 75 MPH. Without doing the math, that'd probably fall in between 4.10 and 3.73, and almost certainly more than 3.55. Even a 3.23 would make a big difference from the Charger's 2.82.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dutch said:
I would pick something that would put me close to 3,000 RPMs at 75 MPH. Without doing the math, that'd probably fall in between 4.10 and 3.73, and almost certainly more than 3.55. Even a 3.23 would make a big difference from the Charger's 2.82.
I had in my mind the 4.10 rear, but the mpg would make that a tough decision for daily driving. Easily switching for driving or racing would be optimum, but I am thinking the happy medium for street races when the call arises and decent mpg for the regular driving aspect. It will be interesting to see how DCX approaches this issue. I think it makes more difference to the market than they may think.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Putting the 6spd manual in it will be the best of both worlds. Giving you the ability to have the grunt for down low, and the overdrive gear (6th) up high. Chevy has done it for years with the Corvette and the new GTO, and even Dodge with the Viper.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Re: LSD? What ya' think?

Big Country said:
Putting the 6spd manual in it will be the best of both worlds. Giving you the ability to have the grunt for down low, and the overdrive gear (6th) up high. Chevy has done it for years with the Corvette and the new GTO, and even Dodge with the Viper.
Yep, that's about all 5th and 6th gears are actually meant to be...as a fuel saving 'overdrive'. I haven't owned a vehicle with a 'granny gear' since my 'four on the floor' 1976 Dodge 'Ramcharger'...now, that was another fun vehicle. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dutch says:

"I would pick something that would put me close to 3,000 RPMs at 75 MPH. Without doing the math, that'd probably fall in between 4.10 and 3.73, and almost certainly more than 3.55. Even a 3.23 would make a big difference from the Charger's 2.82."

It's interesting that you mention "75 MPH" because that's the magic number to run at to test to see what gear ratio you have on your tachometer assuming you are in a 1:1 gear such as 3rd in 4spd automatic overdrive car or 4th in most 6spd manual overdrive cars.

Hence if you want to cruise at 3000 rpm at 75 MPH in non-overdrive, the 3.00 would be the gear; when you shove it into O/D you'll be cruising at less RPM. If you want to cruise 3000 RPM at 75 MPH in overdrive, then the 4.10 is your gear as I predict that the 4.10s in non-overdrive at 75 MPH will make you rev at 4100rpm. Automatics may vary by about 1000 RPM in tach representations as there may be some parasitic power losses.

In regards to the Charger/300 2.82 gear, don't forget that the first planetary gear in the LX platform 's transmission is quite low(steep) numerically high so it's really not that bad. In fact, it is better to have less gear in the axle and more gear in the trans as this can save driveshaft U-joints from long-term wear.

Too bad there's no point talking about those MB axles as they are not LSD. Only Quaiffe has made an LSD unit for the LX car. There is one guy running around in a magnesium 300C SRT8 that claims he has something called Direct Spindle" (a LSD); a custom set up from the local dealer but he may be just full of words, however, I don't remember seeing Magnesium available in the 300C SRT8 order guide you who knows what he has.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If so, has to be 3:73. Can;t imagine they would go with anything higher. They are better off handling the gearing in the tranny

I ran 3:91 posi and 4:10 posi on my 69 and 72 340's

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am hoping they use the rear end the Jeep GC SRT8 uses. It is the MB unit and it has some gear in it!! The non-GC SRT8s have a highway gear that I am sure somebody will try to see if they can swap it out someday....

I want my Challenger SRT8 with the 6.4L, a 6 speed and the GC SRT8 rear end....Thank you Dodge.

Todd

1 - 18 of 18 Posts