Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Challenger Scat Pack, M6
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got my build all finished with some Kooks longtubes, brand new OEM gaskets, new OEM bolts. Torqued to spec in the correct sequence, and almost immediately I could tell the driver's side one was leaking. Started with a kind of whistling at certain RPMs and within minutes was leaking pretty obviously, ticking once warmed up.

Is it feasible to try to be able to fix the leak by just tightening down certain bolts? Or am I in for having to take the headers off again and possibly a new gasket?

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
776 Posts
I would try tightening the bolts first, if that works you saved both time and money. If not, then a new gasket is in order. Absolutely worst case, the mating surface of the header is not flat enough to seal properly. Good luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I just tried getting in there to torque some down. The only one I can't get to is one of the top ones near the middle. Also, the rest were very tight already.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,506 Posts
There was a member here not too long ago that also had an LT header exhaust leak and it turns out one of the primaries was hitting one of the engine mount studs. Once he shortened the stud the leak was fixed. Just something else to watch for.

·
Registered
2021 Charger SPWB
4,086 Posts
I put ARH LT headers on an '06 GT and on my '11 SRT Challenger and Anthony at ARH told me there was no need to change the original exhaust manifold gaskets since the engines were still relatively new. I didn't, and I never had any issues. I wonder if the original gasket might work better if put back on?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
10,506 Posts
So when I installed my SW headers I did not use the tube of high temp silicone to make the gasket, instead I installed OEM 5.7 gaskets (the difference from the 6.4 is they have a heat shield built in). The consensus seems to be that OEM gaskets are the way to go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And......?
And.....so my point is, with an update, is that it turns out my gasket seal and install was fine. Found that the headers themselves were cracked at a couple welds, which is disappointing. I didn't immediately know what the problem is because I'm not omniscient.

Going to be sending them back to the manufacturer to hopefully get them fixed up soon

Found this out by running shop vac air up my exhaust and using soapy water. Just a trick I only just learned in case anyone finds it helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts