Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am getting ARH LT. I know that there is a lot more involved in installing LT over ST. So what should I be prepaired for? Do I need to buy anything extra for it to work properly? I heard something about long tubes throwing code possibly?. Please, for those who have an RT that have installed LT headers, let me know what I'm about to get myself into.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
ARRGHH! Just make sure your O2s get plugged into the right spot. Get anti-foulers for the rear O2s. If not, have them turned off. You will get codes, no doubt. Also, your fuel trims will be a bit offer after the headers. Just make sure to get a tune afterwards sometime. They sound good and provide good power...thats for sure. Have fun!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have kooks on my RT and have a check engine light on only cause I have high flow cats and need to get a tune to get rid of it. If your going to do LT you will need a lift. You have to install them from underneath the car. If you try from the top it wont work. Hope this helps. Oh you might have to mod some things but not for sure. I can only speak for the kooks LT

·
Registered
323 Posts
I put ARH long tubes with catless mids on my 09 SRT8 6spd. While some guys say they did it on jack stands, trust me, you really, really want to use a lift.

As for installing, not too bad, it takes a few simple hand tools and some patience.

I had an older DSP and it had the option to turn off the rear O2 sensors so no MIL problems. I also had a custom tune handy and ready to go. I wanted to test before and after with the tune.

No mods to make the tubes fit, they bolted right up. ARH has incredible build quality.

Make sure you buy a new set of FACTORY exhaust gaskets, they are far superior to the ones shipped with the headers. They only cost a few bucks.

--CC

·
Registered
398 Posts
Don't mean to jack the thread but, I'm also gonna be installing some American racing longtubes this week on my srt, just curious to where I can get a set of the factory header gaskets?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Captin Crash,

That info is very comforting. How did it handle after the install, and how worth it was the custom tune? I plan on getting the power trip package from ShopHemi, and it will come with a tune so I dont know if I should get a tune for just the headers. After the install, before the tune, how was the gas milage? and after?

SRT,

your not jacking the thread. I would also like to know where we can get factory gaskets. I would assume the dealership?

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
323 Posts
Captin Crash,

That info is very comforting. How did it handle after the install, and how worth it was the custom tune? I plan on getting the power trip package from ShopHemi, and it will come with a tune so I dont know if I should get a tune for just the headers. After the install, before the tune, how was the gas milage? and after?

SRT,

your not jacking the thread. I would also like to know where we can get factory gaskets. I would assume the dealership?

Thanks
Josh

Plenty of places on the web that are dealerships that sell parts at a discount. Try MOPAR Super Center ...

The custom tune gave me a lot vs the canned tunes in the DSP. As well as fixing some other issues that were there from day 1.

My MPG [ SRT 6spd ] is 22.4 at 80mph on cruise pretty consistently.

If you have a tune coming from Arrington for the power kit ask them to tweak it for the tubes and anything else you may need like skip shift off, lower temp tstat [ you WILL need a 180 tstat ] post cat O2's off, CAI, etc. Their tuner is one of the best in the business.

--CC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts