Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you using Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant, can you tell me how often you use it? Every fill up, once a month, etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
3,012 Posts
A number of owners are fitting oil catch can to their engine to keep oil (vapor) out of the combustion chambers.

(Gasoline can have around 1% oil in it already put there to prevent rusting of ferrous tanks, pipes, valves, etc.)

There is no need for an "upper cylinder" lubricant. The upper cylinder areas get plenty of oil. (Some engines even have an oil jet for each cylinder which blasts a copious amount of oil the bottom of the piston which not only cools the piston but helps provide extra lubrication of the cylinder wall/piston/ring interface.) If the upper cylinders didn't get sufficient lubrication you know about it quicker than you could get to the store to get some lubricant to lube the upper cylinder areas.

If you want to treat your car's engine (and fuel system) to a cleaning run a bottle of Techron through the gas tank. Use according to directions. This stuff really works. Just a tankful of Chevron Supreme (with Techron) gasoline -- which I switched to after a year or two of running almost exclusively Shell V-Power -- made a positive difference in how my Boxster engine ran.

The general rule of thumb is if you notice any improvement after the tankful of gasoline with Techron added is used up to repeat the "treatment" with a 2nd bottle. Then it is a good idea to change the oil and oil filter. Techron can add to the oil's contamination and the only way to really address this is to drain the contaminated oil and replace it with fresh oil.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger Scat Pack
1,924 Posts
Lucas has made a lot of money selling additives that internal combustion engines don't need.

I second that. I will say from time to time a can sea foam or MMO can do wonders, in general its snake oil. Given manufactures have to warrant these engines for five years, if this crap was needed you would think they would require it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Seafoam really does work. We use it in 2 strokes to clean out the carbon buildup and in our ultralight airplane engines. Don't know anything about Lucas or why you would need an upper cyl lubricant in a modern engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts