Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does any one know what size the lug nuts are for the stock chrome clads and the classic heritage rims? Are they the same size or are they different in any way? If I wanted to purchase new ones what size should i get? I have a 2009 r/t with the 20" chromes but am in the process of getting a set of classics and want to know if i can reuse the lugs from the chrome or if i need to get a new set for the new rims.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Here's a little info on lug nuts. Not exactly what you ask but hopefully it helps.
Challenger SRT and RT Wheel Lug Info

The R/T and the SRT use the same factory hardened lug nut. Dodge p/n 06507826AA.
Lug Wheel pattern 5x115
Lug nuts thread 14mmx1.50 (Note Dim: A in print below )

NOTE 1: Use a 21MM deep impact socket (6 point) to remove/replace lugs. A 12 point socket may correctly fit but can cause
damage to the lug nut finish as these use high torque's.

NOTE 2: IMPORTANT!
R/T wheel lugs: Torque to 100 ft.lbs cold (135 N·m). (Ref. Owner's Manual 2009 pg. 351, section 6)
SRT wheel lugs: Torque to 110 ft.lbs cold (150 N-m). (Ref. 09 Challenger (LC) Service Manual, Sec 22.4)

Here is a OEM mechanical drawing of the lug nut below:

For those who want an alternative to OEM lugs, the next best thing or to many a better option is GORILLA lugs.

Direct OEM Stock replacement: Use 21 MM lug wrench!

14mm x 1.5mm conical seat, Bulge, 60 deg. Seat, set of 4, $ 7.39
Size Std closed end, 5 sets needed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-91147/

Large/deep OEM stock replacment:

14mm x 1.5mm conical seat, Bulge, 60 deg. Seat, set of 4, $10.49
Size XL – Large Set, 5 sets needed.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/GOR-91147XL/

Alternate vendor/source

Amazon.com: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Automotive-91147-Acorn-Thread/dp/B000CMJ3G8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1269352157&sr=1-2"]Gorilla Lug[/ame] – 91147B-20 (Acorn Bulge/60 deg.)

If you need spec's or want reference Gorilla lug nut documentation:

Gorilla Lug DOC link: http://www.gorilla-auto.com/pdf/GAG10.pdf

Have Classic Wheels?
Need wheel locks? Exposed tapered lug wheel lock kit #82210879 (Chrysler)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good stuff itzrick thank you!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Did they change the size of the lug nuts for the 2012 Dodge Challenger SRT8? I'm thinking that they're at least 22mm, except I don't have the proper size socket to check. I'd like to order it ASAP if someone can help me confirm the right size. (I looked through the owner's manual and didn't find anything but I could have missed it.)

Thanks!

-J

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok, are any of those alternate options solid or are they two piece like the originals ? After a time , the originals inside and outside try to separate and there is play in the nuts movement. I wants something solid that looks similar to the originals. Where do I find them ?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Ok, are any of those alternate options solid or are they two piece like the originals ? After a time , the originals inside and outside try to separate and there is play in the nuts movement. I wants something solid that looks similar to the originals. Where do I find them ?
....refer to the following thread but pay particular attention to my posts toward the end. Also note that the lug nut size may be different 2011+ vs. =<2010. My application is a 2010. Here was my last post on that thread with pictures:

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f5/anyone-know-what-size-lug-nuts-67557/

fyi.... For those interested and as a follow up to my previous posts in this thread, here are some comparisons to the lug nuts recommended in "Tip 76", the originals and then the others I found recommended elsewhere (61147CH).

Left to right: 61147CH, "Tip 76" 91147 and OEM:

Left to right: "Tip 76" 91147, 61147CH and OEM:

Left to right: "Tip 76" 91147, 61147CH and OEM:

The 61147's are a much better match to OEM in both fitment and appearance. At least to me, it's obvious that the 91147's don't/won't seat as well as OEM or the 61147. I hope this helps others in the same situation I was.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The nuts arrived at my door yesterday, I haven't had time to put them on. The quality looks very good.
...glad to hear. I liked the fact that they looked like the factory ones I replaced (that came with my chrome clads). ....even better in fact.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just finished putting them on, they look great and look right. I torqued them to 100 lbs. and they were smoother than the originals. By that I mean 100 lbs. seemed to take less effort.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I agree. They are a much better fit than the other options I've seen recommended.

·
Super Moderator
15,971 Posts
They're likely 21mm -

PS: use a six-point socket. The OEM lugs (crimped stamped s/s covers) will distort over time with the 12-point sockets.

Reactions: no_pulse
1 - 13 of 13 Posts