Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got my new R/T 2018 yesterday. Put winter studded tyres on the original 20 inch rims. The car shall be driven year around. Very fun to spin around the snow here in the arctics. Bought American Racing Torque Thrust 20 inch AR105 (ET18) staggered set (8,5+10) on Ebay as summer wheels.

Advised from seller to get new lug nuts. The options he provided are from 1,38 to 2,00 in length and closed cap.

My issue: Do not want the lugs to stick out ridiculously far from the rim when tightened.

Q: Anybody who knows what lug length is the correct for these rims in order not to stick out from the rim ?

Thanx in advance !

Polar bear country chally man

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
So i got my new R/T 2018 yesterday. Put winter studded tyres on the original 20 inch rims. The car shall be driven year around. Very fun to spin around the snow here in the arctics. Bought American Racing Torque Thrust 20 inch AR105 (ET18) staggered set (8,5+10) on Ebay as summer wheels.

Advised from seller to get new lug nuts. The options he provided are from 1,38 to 2,00 in length and closed cap.

My issue: Do not want the lugs to stick out ridiculously far from the rim when tightened.

Q: Anybody who knows what lug length is the correct for these rims in order not to stick out from the rim ?

Thanx in advance !

Polar bear country chally man
Studded 20" snow tires on a Challenger?!?! That's first I've heard of that. Didn't know people still did that. Where in the "arctic" are you".

Back in the 70's, 80's here in western PA, we still ran studded snow tires on passenger cars, but most of the cars were still RWD. FWD removed the need for studded snow tires and I haven seen a set (on a car) in decades around here. Still the odd 2WD work truck with them, but even they're getting scarce. As a teenager, I ran them all winter on my '71 Javelin and my last car that had them was my 75 Catalina (winters of 90/91). Load up the trunk with some bagged sand, for weight/traction and away you go. Nowadays, if you have a RWD car AND run it in the winter, normally it's folks that live where the roads and streets are well kept. Not too many even running regular snow tires any more. Good for you. Do you ad any weight to the trunk? I imagine the Chally will get a little squirrely on the ice and snow, even with studs. Need to use discipline on the throttle foot.

I picked up a new Pilot yesterday, and will immediately be putting snow tires on it, because, as we all know, there's no such thing as an "all-season" tire. Told the dealer that and he said "you don't need snow tires with AWD". I told him that he should not be telling people that, because it's misleading. Which is why you see SUVs on their roof in the median, during snow storms. People don't know their tires and think AWD/4WD solves all their winter driving problems.

Can't help you with the lug nuts, but the "studded snow tires" brought back some memories. Can't miss the sound when you hit dry pavement.

·
Premium Member
2,611 Posts
The stock lug nuts are 1 and 3/8 inches long.

I had Torque Thrust's on my last Challenger. The problem wasn't the length, but the stock lug nuts were too wide to use.

I wouldn't be concerned with the lug nuts sticking out, because they won't. I'm sorry I don't remember what lug nuts I used with those wheels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts