Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are all of the Challenger M6 transmissions interchangeable?

For instance, would an M6 trans from a 2015/16 RT swap into a 2011 M6 RT? Is there anything that would need to be changed?

Thanks,
ken

·
Registered
185 Posts
It should go right in. The only M6 that is a little different is the Hellcat and that has to do with the gear ratio.
The newer trans in an older car should be an improvement just from any internal updates that were done.

That being said I would not take an 09 and put it in a 15.

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
It will fit.

The spline count changed from the '09 Tremec. I know that from '11+ those will interchange with the later years.

The '10+ had updates to synchros for better shift feel as well.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

The trans in my 2011 is crap. It grinds in second and third. I've had the input shaft cleaned and re-greased twice, but the damage has been done.

Thinking about getting it rebuilt, but then thought about swapping in a later trans. The one in my 2015 is vastly better than the 2011 ever was, even new.

Thanks again,
Ken

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
Thanks guys.

The trans in my 2011 is crap. It grinds in second and third. I've had the input shaft cleaned and re-greased twice, but the damage has been done.

Thinking about getting it rebuilt, but then thought about swapping in a later trans. The one in my 2015 is vastly better than the 2011 ever was, even new.

Thanks again,
Ken
Similar with my '16 M6 - drove like fully broken in from mile #5 (when I took delivery) - my '09 M6 took 13K mi and got much smoother and had slight 1>2 gear nibble on first couple of shifts on cold drive-away. The '16 has none of that.

·
Vendor
12,578 Posts
not necessarily interchangeable, we have seen coarse and fine spline up until at least 13, 12 and back for sure, typically the SRT have the fine spline and the R/T's have the coarse
Luke

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not necessarily interchangeable, we have seen coarse and fine spline up until at least 13, 12 and back for sure, typically the SRT have the fine spline and the R/T's have the coarse
Luke
Thanks Luke. Plan on replacing the clutch while we have it out. Is it just the disc that's possibly different?

What about the other end? Does the drive shaft attached the same?

Thanks again,
Ken

1 - 8 of 8 Posts