Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '15 Challenger Scat Pack M6 that I daily drive. Vehicle has 35k miles, is cammed, and has around 30 runs down the dragstrip. Yesterday while driving home I had something weird happen. On the freeway I downshifted from 6th to 4th gear and accelerated quickly. When I hit about 5k RPM, I got what sounded like a baseball card in a bicycle spoke/gear not mating/zzzzt sound. This was accompanied by a loss of power. I quickly backed out and shifted to 5th gear with no issue. It didn't happen again on the way home.

This morning I drove the car to work. Upon accelerating onto the freeway, I got a quick whiff of a burnt smell coming into the cabin. Same thing when I accelerated to get past another car to get on the off ramp. This tells me it's a clutch/flywheel issue. On the way home, I didn't have a single problem. Everything worked well and I tested everything again on the freeway. I even did some hard accelerations on a back road to make sure. No smell, no loss of power, nothing. It has me scratching my head some. I do have a slight vibration when the engine is engaged that goes away when I coast in neutral. Do you all think the clutch is going bad?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,279 Posts
BTW are you still running a clutch delay valve or did you delete it? I think there is an inspection plate that you can remove near the bell housing. Wonder if a rivet or something let loose?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW are you still running a clutch delay valve or did you delete it? I think there is an inspection plate that you can remove near the bell housing. Wonder if a rivet or something let loose?
Haven't checked to see if the the clutch delay valve was removed. I bought the car used with 5k miles on it. I didn't feel the need to check since the pedal felt fine to me. I'll have to look and see if there is an inspection plate.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My worry is the transmission is having a malfunction with 4th gear. I never had a problem with the shifter getting stuck and it shifted smooth during driving. I had an issue getting it into third gear, but that wasn't the car, it was me manhandling the shifter and hitting the gate. I know that most times slippage starts at the higher gears prior to showing up in the lower gears. I just find it weird I have not been able to repeat the issue.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The burnt smell is almost certainly the clutch, so you at least have a problem there. You won't usually have a shifting problem unless the clutch isn't completely disengaging when you push the pedal in- which seems to be opposite of what you're describing.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
The clutch delay valve does exactly what it's name suggests. It delays clutch engagement. How fast you, as the driver, release the clutch is irrelevant, the delay valve will always slow things down.

Sounds like it's still in there and smoking your clutch. These things absolutely need to be removed if you drive the car hard at all, unless you like doing premature clutch jobs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I keep reading post about deleting this cdv. Iv spoke with someone from Chrysler about it and they said it’s not a good idea it’s there for a reason.
But so are catalytic converters and everyone deletes theres.
This is my first manual drive by wire system and I’m still trying to figure this 💩 out.
Iv been patient with my foot on the throttle until I do. Sometimes at wife open tho I can’t tell if Iv taken my foot completely off the gas in between gears and clutch engagement or not but for sure can tell I’m not getting that jump or climb in acceleration upshifting
My 0-60 time is 6.7 🤦‍♂️
Wtf am I doing wrong
Or is deleting this thing a for sure plus or trouble

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I keep reading post about deleting this cdv. Iv spoke with someone from Chrysler about it and they said it’s not a good idea it’s there for a reason.
But so are catalytic converters and everyone deletes theres.
This is my first manual drive by wire system and I’m still trying to figure this 💩 out.
Iv been patient with my foot on the throttle until I do. Sometimes at wife open tho I can’t tell if Iv taken my foot completely off the gas in between gears and clutch engagement or not but for sure can tell I’m not getting that jump or climb in acceleration upshifting
My 0-60 time is 6.7 🤦‍♂️
Wtf am I doing wrong
Or is deleting this thing a for sure plus or trouble
It's there to make a manual nice and easy to drive for novice drivers.

In the real world it just makes your clutch slip more, especially in hard driving. Some will say it lessens the shock load on the drivetrain. It probably does a little at the expense of smoking the clutch.

For me, everything improved after I took it out.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
CDV delete absolutely worth it

If you are driving hard and trying to shift fast it is only working against you and may cause issues

Its originally put into place to lessen the wear on the driveshaft or something by created an air bubble when the clutch is dumped inside the clutch line.

This leads to the transmission becoming a derp above 5k rpm with any quick shift

·
Registered
8 Posts
Iv seriously felt this the way you have described its operation I’m going to take the risk now that Iv secured a good cushion. I also am going to switch over to the Wilwood brake fluid.
Maybe this will help me get a better feel for speed shifting cause right now after first gear easing out the clutch at a higher rpm and a good start not spinning so much it’s like no matter how much I dump the clutch going from 2nd to 3rd Iv just lost momentum or something. Iv even went to the extant of just being more patient more throttle to even not completely lifting my foot off the throttle in between shifts which now I’m just like hell start over with learning this damn thing after I take this out and like all my life find out the hard way if I break it I break it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts