Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally finished the install around noon today. Had a few hickups but it turned out nice.

I thought the hardest part would be pinning the crank. Turns out aligning the S/C with the gasket and block was much harder.

I'm having trouble fitting the drivers side engine cover over the EVAP hose... trying to figure out a solution.

Also trying to figure out a good way to modify my Mopar CAI to work with S/C... I know speedy has a nice setup, just gotta figure it out on the 6.1
I Put the stock intake on for now....

Tips - my Kit didn't have an extension for the MAP plug. Think about getting some wiring and crimpers beforehand.
If you don't fill the Heat exchanger reservoir with fluid before hand the water pump is going to make a loud whine when you turn the ignition ON. learned that the hard way. ( tried to be quick and have the tune load while filling fluids).

So Far I've noticed the engine is running a lot warmer. before the S/C it ran a cool 202-208 degrees. Now it's more like 218-222 deg
Anyone have any suggestions? Yes i do have a 180 Thermostat

Going to continue taking it easy for a few more miles... then I'll open it up

Max

:redcap:

Attachments

·
Banned
664 Posts
Congrats on the install. It is not in the instructions but the MAP extension is not needed. The factory plug is long enough you just have to open up more wire loom. I only found out because of other people posting it on their installs.You may need to bleed more air out of the system through the bleeder next to the thermostat housing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good for you Max, congrats on getting the job done.
Thanks man... Your thread helped out a lot.

Went for a drive a few mins ago and started hearing a ticking noise... wasn't sure, but it sounded like it came from the back somewhere... Maybe the fuel cell... Not sure yet. Doesn't sound nice.:werd:

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
Congrats on the install.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Good stuff, SM. I hated having that stocker air box back on my car. I'm sure you'll work it out with the MOPAR CAI. If not you can reach out to Arrington, legmaker or hit up lowwlife. He fabbed his own CAI and did a nice job.

Can you be more specific about the ticking? Fuel cell as in an aftermarket one? I've spent a lot of time in the tank and on aftermarket pumps / fuel hat but I'm not sure about ticking. I guess it could be the stocker pump going bad but not sure why that would happen with the addition of the Maggie.

HemiSam

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can you be more specific about the ticking? Fuel cell as in an aftermarket one? I've spent a lot of time in the tank and on aftermarket pumps / fuel hat but I'm not sure about ticking. I guess it could be the stocker pump going bad but not sure why that would happen with the addition of the Maggie.

HemiSam

I just started the car up to hear exactly where the sound was coming from... It's about a 4 hz tick and increases with the RPM. It's definitely louder by the back seat compared to the engine compartment. It's very subtle but at the same time noticeable.

Hard to describe... I'm lost as to what it could be. The only thing I can think of is the fuel cell. It's got a full tank of gas...
thanks for the help.

Max

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
OK. Pull up on the base of the back seat...on the driver's side then on the passenger's side, SM. Do this at the front of the seat (facing the back of your front seats). You can pull the bottom of the seat out no problem. Then on the driver' side you'll see a flap cut out of the sound deadening material. There's a rubber boot there...pop it out. You'll see an electrical harness there supplying power to your fuel pump as well as wiring for the fuel levels/floats.

Start the car now and you'll be able to hear if the sound is coming from the pump.

HemiSam

·
Registered
297 Posts
Congrats on your install Max! As quickly as you could email me a question, you had figured out your answer... :) Sorry I couldnt of been more help.

Have you rechecked your coolant levels? I know on my car I had to burp it a few times to get all the coolant back in.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Tick could be an exhaust leak.

I think you got an air bubble in the cooling system. Normal driving the blower doesn't add any more heat to the car than stock. Try bleeding that cooling system to make sure there's no air. There's a bleed plug toward the top front of the motor.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
Tick could be an exhaust leak.

I think you got an air bubble in the cooling system. Normal driving the blower doesn't add any more heat to the car than stock. Try bleeding that cooling system to make sure there's no air. There's a bleed plug toward the top front of the motor.
Tick could be injectors or exhaust leak before the cats. Hemi's have loud injectors! Also purge air from the intercooler system and check your fan settings. Might need to adjust them to the new 180 thermostat

·
Registered
688 Posts
I have a small tick noise in mine also, kinda like the old lifter tick.
Hmmmm, I too have the old "Hemi tick". Didn't have it before the Maggie. It really sounds louder inside the car than it does outside though. Noticed it on first start up after the install. Sounds like it's coming from the passenger side. Exhaust hasn't been touched. I haven't got around to checking it out yet.

Set the fan settings and that should cool you down. I have noticed no change in engine temp since the install. Mine typically runs in the low 180's.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Congrats on your install Max! As quickly as you could email me a question, you had figured out your answer... :) Sorry I couldnt of been more help.

Have you rechecked your coolant levels? I know on my car I had to burp it a few times to get all the coolant back in.
Thanks for your support anyways ;)

I got the rest of the air out of the system... runs a lot cooler now. Thanks guys.

As for the tick... not sure what it is yet. I thought it was a lifter after the first start but realized it's louder inside the car. I checked under the rear seat and could definitely hear something wasn't like it was before the install.

If anyone figures something out let me know... could it be that the stock fuel pump is having a hard time keeping up with the new injectors?:notallthere:

Max

ps. Has anyone noticed a shudder after coming off WOT on the 6-spd?

5,134 Posts
If you guys had engine covers, could it be that you're hearing the tick more with the cover off? Mine tickety-ticks as well, but all the Hemis do.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
could it be that the stock fuel pump is having a hard time keeping up with the new injectors?:notallthere:
I doubt that's it. Even if it were, it would only be at WOT.....not idle and folks like TF with AFR gauges installed would be reporting lean conditions at WOT which they're not. The opposite actually....the stock tune is a bit rich.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In what gear are you fealing the shudder, Max?

HemiSam
It only happened a couple of times today immediately after easing off the gas pedal in 2nd. It almost felt like a surge... might of been me just getting used to the boost that kicks in around ~2500-3000.
I'll chalk it up to poor technique

1 - 20 of 116 Posts