Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I'd think it would be an injector rather than pumps. My pumps don't make any "tick" sound...they just have a hint of a whine to them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I'd think it would be an injector rather than pumps. My pumps don't make any "tick" sound...they just have a hint of a whine to them.
I took the rear seats off, listened closely to the fuel cell... the tech had the car up on the lift and we both heard it coming from inside the tank. I'm baffled.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Could it be the sock on the fuel pickup inside the tank? Perhaps it's loose and kinda rythmically rattling/flapping/tic tic ticking as fuel is drawn through it?

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Yeah, if the sound is coming from the fuel tank, unless there's some kind of a sprint loaded backflow valve there, then the sock is the only other thing I could think of. Fuel pumps DO pulse a bit so I could see this happening as fuel is pulled from the tank.

Has anyone had the tank out and fuel pickup removed, who can say for sure what is there where the fuel line connects?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Could it be the sock on the fuel pickup inside the tank? Perhaps it's loose and kinda rythmically rattling/flapping/tic tic ticking as fuel is drawn through it?
Possibly... But wouldn't the new fuel pumps alleviate that problem?

Omicron, didn't you used to have an RX8? I was stationed in Carson a few years back... thought I saw you in the RX8club.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I've been in to my tank almost as much as Mike, and the factory setup is just a plastic basket with the pump in it. There's a feed line that comes from the passenger tank that pours in to the basket to keep fuel in it and there's a line that clips on to the pump that goes to the motor. Not a whole lot in there really. The fuel level sender attaches tot he side of the basket. There's also a level sender in the passenger side saddle as well.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Possibly... But wouldn't the new fuel pumps alleviate that problem?

Omicron, didn't you used to have an RX8? I was stationed in Carson a few years back... thought I saw you in the RX8club.
For some reason, I thought the fuel pump was under the rear seat and not in the tank. I was just logically thinking through what it could be if not the (I thought, external) fuel pump.

And yep, I did, and that was (and still is) me on that site. :) Loved my RX8 but it was time for a change, actually traded it on my Challenger. Still consult as an admin on that site tho...

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
The pump is completely submerged in the tank.

Does the noise get louder the less fuel you have in the tank?

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
GSO has a thread with pics showing the entire setup (both the basket with the pump on the driver's side) and the return basket on the passenger's side, and all lines running in between. Some of the pics are from a great thread on the LX titled Fueling Thinking...really worth the read. Hemi31 turned me on to it.

HemiSam

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Interesting. Sounds complicated... and like lots of potential for something to be just a wee bit loose and start ticking...

·
Vendor
5,686 Posts
Great job on the install, love the Magnacharger!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The pump is completely submerged in the tank.

Does the noise get louder the less fuel you have in the tank?
surprisingly the noise stays relatively constant at different levels... I thought it would get louder as the amount of fuel decreases. The new injectors on the S/C are larger aren't they? could the higher demand be the issue?

Interesting. Sounds complicated... and like lots of potential for something to be just a wee bit loose and start ticking...
I can see your point... however, the entire system was replaced and the noise stayed exactly the same. I haven't looked inside the fuel cell myself but I doubt it's something loose.

Maybe I can pose this question to one of the Dodge tech's on this forum?

5,134 Posts
Yes, the Maggie comes with larger injectors. I haven't really noticed them to be louder than the stock ones, but even the stock ones are noisy clickety-clickers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Great job on the install, love the Magnacharger!
Thanks, the install wasn't bad. Just time consuming by yourself. It's a good looking kit... Just need to clean up the routing of the houses.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I wonder how many Maggie owners are experiencing this ticking issue, or any SC owners? I got it on the very first startup and never had it before. Could the larger injectors be requesting more fuel somehow cause the fuel pump to tick?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
I wonder how many Maggie owners are experiencing this ticking issue, or any SC owners? I got it on the very first startup and never had it before. Could the larger injectors be requesting more fuel somehow cause the fuel pump to tick?
That's what My guess was...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Not all of the cars are getting this tick. I know our shop 09 6.1 is not... But I suppose it is possible.
Hey jessika, I'm sorry... I'm not trying to bring bad press on Magnuson. Not at all, I'm just trying to figure out how to fix this. You gotta understand it's been a huge headache for me the past month or so.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts