Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car runs like a top, and I love my Maggie. However, I have a squeal that is going to kill me. I feel embarrassed to drive it sometimes. Sounds like it's coming from the Maggie pulley (stock) when I open the hood. Squeals louder when RPM's rise also. Any advice? I cannot take it anymore....

Let me throw this in too. If I remote start my car, it sound fine, I can leave it out there for 5 minutes, and not a sound......This part is crazy!!! I press the Unlock button, and I hear a CLICK (almost like an a/c compressor kicking on), and bang, there's that annoying squeal again! What the hell happens when you unlock the doors other than the lights coming on? Also, I did NOT leave my heat on or anything last time I was in it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did you do the install yourself? Can you verify that the belt routing is correct?
I have not heard an instance of belt squeal with the stock pulley (or even smaller pulleys at idle)

Does the Squeal go away if you turn off the ac compresor? Does it go away if you turn on the ac compressor?

5,134 Posts
Remove your belt and spin the maggie. Try spinning the alternator too, and power steering and water pump.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you do the install yourself? Can you verify that the belt routing is correct?
I have not heard an instance of belt squeal with the stock pulley (or even smaller pulleys at idle)

Does the Squeal go away if you turn off the ac compresor? Does it go away if you turn on the ac compressor?
HHP did my install. Car runs amazing. No difference if I press the A/C button at all. I will listen to it again later. I am 99% sure it is coming from the Maggie pulley. I will see if I can get a pic of the belt routing. Thanks!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remove your belt and spin the maggie. Try spinning the alternator too, and power steering and water pump.
Not sure if it will squeak spinning that slow. I will go out there later. I think it may be obvious that it's the Maggie pulley making the noise.

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Mine makes no such noise and I have a smaller pulley.

Shoot a video of it if you can.

5,134 Posts
If you put a battery-operated drill or impact on the pulley, you'll be able to make it turn fast enough to identify if it's making a noise or not. I can't remember if there's a center nut on the Maggie pulley or not, so you may need to be creative :)

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine makes no such noise and I have a smaller pulley.

Shoot a video of it if you can.
I will video it by tomorrow. I will show you the whole remote start, then click thing when unlocking also. Sounds like a compressor kicking in. Then maybe the added stress makes the SC squeal. Could it be the car runs the compressor automatically when it is cold out to get it up to temp, and you need to unlock the door first? Don't make sense, but neither does the click, and squeal once unlocked.....

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you put a battery-operated drill or impact on the pulley, you'll be able to make it turn fast enough to identify if it's making a noise or not.

Good call. Let me video some first. Like I said, I think last time I was doing my CAI, I knew it was from the SC. I knew some old tricks to stop it, but they only worked for a few minutes. I was cold and aggravated that day though which is why I want to double check it...lol

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I will video it by tomorrow. I will show you the whole remote start, then click thing when unlocking also. Sounds like a compressor kicking in. Then maybe the added stress makes the SC squeal. Could it be the car runs the compressor automatically when it is cold out to get it up to temp, and you need to unlock the door first? Don't make sense, but neither does the click, and squeal once unlocked.....
Yeah, that's a weird one there. I don't have remote start so I can't check that one for ya. When I unlock my car I don't hear any compressors though with a non remote start vehicle. The remote start could very well be tied into the HVAC system as most folks that would remote start the car would do so to either warm it up in the winter, or cool it down in the summer, before entering the vehicle.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, here's a video. It is freezing out or I would do more....

·
Banned
664 Posts
That would irritate the Hell out of me! If you start it with the key it does not make that noise?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
bro squrit some wd40 into the idle pully one at a time, one of them is bad

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
What John said. Get a stethoscope if you have to.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
bro squrit some wd40 into the idle pully one at a time, one of them is bad
I guess I stick the straw behind it right? I will try that in a little while....

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Videos help a lot. From the video it sounds like it's coming from the right side of the motor. The pulley at the power steering looks too small of a diameter to make the squeek at the frequency heard in the video. However, the A/C compressor below it would be about the right diameter.

Can you try turning the A/C on and off and see if there's any change?

Start the car without remote start. Make sure A/C and heat etc are completely off. Listen for the sound. If you don't hear it turn on the A/C and see if you hear it then. Do this with the hood up so it's easier to hear the sound.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That would irritate the Hell out of me! If you start it with the key it does not make that noise?

I have keyless, but yes. If I get in, and start it, I get that noise right from the gate. And as I pick up RPMs, it gets worse. Driving me insane!!!!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Videos help a lot. From the video it sounds like it's coming from the right side of the motor. The pulley at the power steering looks too small of a diameter to make the squeek at the frequency heard in the video. However, the A/C compressor below it would be about the right diameter.

Can you try turning the A/C on and off and see if there's any change?

Start the car without remote start. Make sure A/C and heat etc are completely off. Listen for the sound. If you don't hear it turn on the A/C and see if you hear it then. Do this with the hood up so it's easier to hear the sound.

I tried the A/C on and off while in the car a a few times. Nothing at all changed. I did not even notice a sound like the compressor kicking on and off. The unlock thing is nuts too! If it was the fact they let the heat turn on (which they do if you left it on) to warm up the car, it would work before unlocking or it would not make any sense.

·
Banned
4,131 Posts
can you stop the noise by turning you ac/heat system completely off?
can you make it squeal louder by turning the wheels?
does it get louder when you turn the ac all the way up?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts