Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the front of the drive belt is trying to walk It's way off the supercharger pulley. Do any of you blown guys have this going on?:scratchhead:

HOT ROD ON

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
I will need to look at mine a little closer but I don't believe I have this issue. You have not had the best luck!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I see you are in California, can you bring it by for us to look at? Local to Ventura? never seen that before, and I would like to take a look in person if possible.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Looks like a 1/8" blower pulley shim/disc is needed to set it outwards a little. Just saying. That drift will cause problems or it could walk off under high rpms.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will need to look at mine a little closer but I don't believe I have this issue. You have not had the best luck!
No... a complete zero on the luck meter....

I see you are in California, can you bring it by for us to look at? Local to Ventura? never seen that before, and I would like to take a look in person if possible.
Started the car the other day and it sounded like a rod was ready to exit the side of the block. Shut down and checked for a breaker bar and socket still on the crank bolt beating everything to pieces....all clear. That was the third time that this has happened, once at idle on the street and twice on fire up. When the engine lit for the second time I placed my hand on the supercharger and felt and heard a knock so load my neighbor heard it. Lasted for 10 or so seconds and then fades away. While checking for that gremlin is when this issue came to light. Please check with Jessika on my history with this install. Have had the unit off three times and brought it down to you guys for repair once already.......... You guys are eighty miles away and I'm not to sure that It can go that far.....on the ropes here..............

HOT ROD ON

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
That's not good. Wish I could help. We are running smaller pulleys so had to go with Arrington's custom idler pulley setup instead of the stocker. I've had zero belt issues. Thought I was getting some belt slip, but it looks like it's something else altogether.

DC - you're a trooper, brother! Keep us posted.

HemiSam

·
Registered
175 Posts
You guys are eighty miles away and I'm not to sure that It can go that far.....on the ropes here..............

HOT ROD ON

Yes, I am quite aware of the history of your system. I know this blower has been back, if you cannot get it here I will come there and tow it back.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Now that's service!

DC - you're the man on the install but I hope you can part with your girl to have Magnuson get her well. You deserve it, bro!

HemiSam

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes, I am quite aware of the history of your system. I know this blower has been back, if you cannot get it here I will come there and tow it back.
I don't post much and probably won't ever SC mine with all the other toys i have, but this speaks volumes for the company. I like seeing service like this and we all know that isn't the norm. :bigthumb: to Magnuson

Hope it works out for you DC

·
Banned
903 Posts
Man I feel for ya DC & hope you get it sorted out, This is how my luck normally runs and why I'm on the fence with doing a Blower of any brand.

5,134 Posts
Man I feel for ya DC & hope you get it sorted out, This is how my luck normally runs and why I'm on the fence with doing a Blower of any brand.
Then there is my experience -- I install the thing, spending 13 hours here and there spanning a week's time in the garage, turn the key and it starts right up like nothing ever happened. Driving along the first couple of miles I couldn't even tell I had done anything to my car, and wondered if I had only dreamt that I did the install

-- until I pressed hard on the gas.

Good luck DC, looks like you're in good hands.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The drive belt is a secondary concern for me.... the sounds that are coming out of my engine have my complete attention and hearing protection is required. Some are saying lifters but I just can't imagine all that racket coming from one. My thing is how can you trouble shoot it if it's not broken most of the time? A new belt and tensioner may solve my belt tracking problem which are being installed now but stressed over that very elusive knock. Looks like time will tell.........Want to thank Brian from Magnacharger for your quick response and offer and to my forum Brothers for you support.... you guys are KOOL Have my voucher for spring fest.....We'll see

HOT ROD ON

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Ok, the only reason I mention this is because had my own face-palm moments. I don't recall seeing any mention of this in the Magnuson installation instructions, but there were two spacers that were supposed to go between the intake snout and the front engine cover. Are yours not installed, or are they too thin?

Keepin' my fingers crossed for you.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, the only reason I mention this is because had my own face-palm moments. I don't recall seeing any mention of this in the Magnuson installation instructions, but there were two spacers that were supposed to go between the intake snout and the front engine cover. Are yours not installed, or are they too thin?

Went back through the installation manual and found no reference to any spacers being installed. Not quite sure where they would go......Am I missing something here? Should know soon if the new tensioner and belt will be the fix when I can get a drive in. If not looks like another trip to Ventura is in my future.

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
688 Posts

Hmmmmm, I must have missed something. I don't remember anything about spacers. There wasn't any in my kit. Could you elaborate on this please? Mine lines up great!

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
On the curved intake snout casting and below the blower drive pulley, an extension of the snout casting includes mounting points to the front of the engine. In my installation, there was a gap of about 6mm between this extension and the bolt holes that were to be used when bolting the extension down. Spacers were not mentioned in my instructions either, but I had noticed them in the packaging and guessed at this being the intended use.

Without these spacers, the pulley location is completely determined by the positioning of the blower tub on the heads. If the tub is pushed rearward as much as the bolts will allow, it may be possible to have the main drive pulley slightly rearward of ideal.

I'm only offering this as one thing to look into. Maybe your intake castings were machined differently and didn't require spacers. But maybe if the tub bolts were loosened, and the tub shifted forward, maybe there is enough movement to help in your case.

Just tryin' to help.:)

5,134 Posts
I remember using spacers too. I'll go grab a picture in a few minutes to show you, DC.

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Keep in mind..... My unit was a one piece bolt up and the tub was mated to the blower when shipped!....

HOT ROD ON

1 - 20 of 81 Posts