Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Magnaflow Cat-Back

Hello,

We have installed and sold many of these systems from Magnaflow and had no problems. Customers have been very happy with the performance and sound. These systems are very easy to install.

Part# 16514 that you have a questions on is the street series 2.5" that allows you to reuse to factory tips.

Part# 16516 is the competition series which has a more aggressive sound and it also lets you reuse your factory tips.

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions or for low pricing.

Regards,
Don
JDP Motorsports
888-308-6007

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am happy with my 16509 magnaflow
I haven't installed my high flow cats yet though ... the cabin noise is loud enough for my taste, if its just you driving in the car I would go for the competition series but if you have kids definitely don't, the drone is too much.
If I would do it again I would've went with a borla exhaust. I have driven in several differrent setups and found it the best sounding for my tastes. (it also was less drone) Check out some other youtube videos to make sure you get the best setup for your tastes.

·
Registered
348 Posts
problems

I also purchased the Magnaflo exhaust but part#16509. I have had problems with it leaking where it connects to the cats. It was suggested by Magnflo that their high flo cats #16420 would correct this problem, no such luck and more $ out of my pocket. This has been going on for about 9 months. No it went to their warranty dept. The problem is that customer service can no longer can assist or help me in anyway since it is now out of their hands. So basically I am SOL. The problem is that it will not clamp down where the pipe meets the cats. I have even purchased after market 2" wide band clamps and used exhaust sealant (on a new exhaust!) and it still leaks. I do not even drive my car since it bother me that much. As of right now nobody at all in there company has stepped up to bat to help me out! Sorry to go on, but I want to give you a little feedback. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the Comp Series and had nothing but problems. Along with the great Magnaflow sound I got a bonus ...a rattle as the system vibrated against the underside of my Challenger. It took multiple times to tweak the system to finally solve the fit issue. It was extremely frustrating and took a lot of time from my schedule to get it right. If I had to do it over I would go with another brand ...lots of them out there. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had this system on my car for about a year and half. Very happy with it. Gives a better sound than stock but still pretty mellow and most important to me it is drone free. No problems with quality or fitment. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I have the Comp Series and had nothing but problems. Along with the great Magnaflow sound I got a bonus ...a rattle as the system vibrated against the underside of my Challenger. It took multiple times to tweak the system to finally solve the fit issue. It was extremely frustrating and took a lot of time from my schedule to get it right. If I had to do it over I would go with another brand ...lots of them out there. Just my two cents.
I have the 16885 Comp Series and have had some fitment issues as well. There was a fitment issue with clamps as they don't seem to clamp down to keep the system from leaking (this also being the reason why the stock system did much better at the track than the Magnaflow). In lieu of buying a new exhaust system, I took it down to my local shop and had them weld all of the fittings together to solve the leak issue. The Magnaflow does sound really,really good... it's just fitment issues that plague the system.

I had an MBRP system on my R/T and it was nice, deep rumble and issue free. When I drop the Magnaflow, I'll probably go to the higher quality MBRP.

·
Premium Member
2019 Hellcat Redeye in white knuckle with silver stripes
1,120 Posts
I have had this 16514 street series on my R/T for over a year and I have loved the sound of it every single day. Much better than the stock sound.
I did'nt want too much rumble because I do ride with wife and kids often.
You will notice the MDS more with this set up than stock. It does'nt bother me.
The exhaust guy who installed it had trouble with the clamps and broke one trying to get them tight. He showed me how the joints where dripping water and told me that it was'nt good. I have asked others with mechanical knowledge and most say it's not a big deal.
I would have gone with the Corsa system but just could'nt stomach the $500 more that would have cost than the Magnaflow.

·
Banned
642 Posts
I have the comp series with the quad tips which I think look awesome on the car. Very quality tip and similar to the SRT8 GC tip. The system is a tad loud but I think it sounds very good (much better than stock). I will however have to agree with most of the comments in that the fitment leaves much to be desired. I spent alot of time tweaking the system so the tips were straight and the mufflers did not hit the third member. Thankfully I have a hoist in my garage, I could not even imagine adjusting this system on my back.

I had no issues with leaks though.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with Magnaflow, again just don't understand why they cannot be a little more accurate in their fitment.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have the comp series with the quad tips which I think look awesome on the car. Very quality tip and similar to the SRT8 GC tip. The system is a tad loud but I think it sounds very good (much better than stock). I will however have to agree with most of the comments in that the fitment leaves much to be desired. I spent alot of time tweaking the system so the tips were straight and the mufflers did not hit the third member. Thankfully I have a hoist in my garage, I could not even imagine adjusting this system on my back.

I had no issues with leaks though.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with Magnaflow, again just don't understand why they cannot be a little more accurate in their fitment.
x1 on the uneven tips. I failed to mention in my previous post that the tips were uneven. At one point in my adventure the ONLY way to keep my exhaust from rattling against the body of my vehicle was to "twist" the pipes which made for a very interesting look. I'm not sure what was worse the rattling or driving around with cockeyed exhaust tips. I never thought purchasing an exhaust system would turn into a such a major headache. I also want to state that I have no problem with the sound or performance ...only the fit.

·
Registered
348 Posts
x1 on the uneven tips. I failed to mention in my previous post that the tips were uneven. At one point in my adventure the ONLY way to keep my exhaust from rattling against the body of my vehicle was to "twist" the pipes which made for a very interesting look. I'm not sure what was worse the rattling or driving around with cockeyed exhaust tips. I never thought purchasing an exhaust system would turn into a such a major headache. I also want to state that I have no problem with the sound or performance ...only the fit.

Mopar Rider, you are correct on tailpipe issue. I as well had an alignment problem. You either have the tailpipes fir perfect and deal with the exhaust hitting the diff or the rear suspension, or you have the tailpipes looking like shi* and the pipes do not hit. I had to have the pipes slightly bent to clear everything under the car and still have the tailpipes look good. I did forget to mention that the customer service rep at Magnaflo suggest I take my car to an exhaust shop and have the pipes welded to correct the leaks, but they would not pay the bill for doing so! For those looking for a easy bolt on exhaust, I suggest looking elsewhere. Still no response from anyone at Magnaflo. That's sad!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have had this 16514 street series on my R/T for over a year and I have loved the sound of it every single day. Much better than the stock sound.
I did'nt want too much rumble because I do ride with wife and kids often.
You will notice the MDS more with this set up than stock. It does'nt bother me...
Same here. I wanted an exhaust sound that wasn't overboard (had Flowmaster's on a Charger w/440...been there, done that). They are louder than stock while idling and cruising and sound great when you get on it. They fit fine and were an easy install.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I run a 16509 with quad tips on my 2010 SRT8 auto. Had it installed professionally by a custom shop that has a lot of experience with Magnaflow products on all kinds of performance cars. No issues - sounds good, looks great (the quads - underside system looks good too).

I've read of fitment issues with Magnaflow (the clamp and tail pipe issues specifically discussed in this forum). I talked to my installer before getting the system. They told me that mass production tolerances in vehicles and aftermarket products does occasionally result in fitment issues - and they were aware of some of the nuances with Magnaflow. They recommended the specific Magnaflow system I have and told me if they encountered any problems, had the experience and equipment/tools to address it during the install (the shop I used is pretty high-end and has a good rep in my area among performance enthusiasts). My system went right on without issue - the techs op-checked everything and its been great every since. Mine looks and sounds just like the video clip of the same system in this thread.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I am happy with my 16509 magnaflow
I haven't installed my high flow cats yet though
Same exhaust I have and I love it. Quiet when it needs to be and opens up when you step on it. Highflow cats go on this spring. I had them installed by my mechanic and haven't had a problem!

·
Registered
177 Posts
FYI - I had a reputable and experienced speed shop that work on and modify high-end performance vehicles install my exhaust system. They also sell and install Magnaflow Systems for a variety of vehicles. Like many, I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to having someone work on my Challenger. It is apparent that I am not alone in my problem with the fit and finish of a Magnaflow system. I would love to recommend the Magnaflow System to others but I cannot based on my personal experience. My system was WAY out of wack. By the way, when I talked to a Magnaflow representative his response was “…yeah, the fit on Challenger’s has been a tough issue.” I only wish I knew that kernel of information before I dropped my hard earned money on the system. :notallthere: No disrespect to HeniFan but I don't want to deal with so called "nuances" requiring "equipment and tools " to modify a system that should fit to begin with. I am glad your system fits well but it seems like a crap shoot.

·
Registered
348 Posts
FYI - I had a reputable and experienced speed shop that work on and modify high-end performance vehicles install my exhaust system. They also sell and install Magnaflow Systems for a variety of vehicles. Like many, I am EXTREMELY picky when it comes to having someone work on my Challenger. It is apparent that I am not alone in my problem with the fit and finish of a Magnaflow system. I would love to recommend the Magnaflow System to others but I cannot based on my personal experience. My system was WAY out of wack. By the way, when I talked to a Magnaflow representative his response was “…yeah, the fit on Challenger’s has been a tough issue.” I only wish I knew that kernel of information before I dropped my hard earned money on the system. :notallthere: No disrespect to HeniFan but I don't want to deal with so called "nuances" requiring "equipment and tools " to modify a system that should fit to begin with. I am glad your system fits well but it seems like a crap shoot.
My point exactly Mopar Rider. Why should we the customer have to pay a shop to have to not install but modify our exhaust system. The shop I went to sells Magnaflo as well and they are aware of the fitment issues. I did not want to weld my high flo cats to the pipes after the cats to correct the problem. Plus I would have to drop the system down again for the 4th time!!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
When I had my 09 Challenger with auto transmission, I had gone to this same street series system (except I had gotten the quad tips). I was very happy with the sound and quality of the system. Drone was minimal to nonexistent, though like a previous poster noted, MDS was still noticeable but bearable.:bigthumb: I really regret that I didn't remove the system before I traded it in:disgust: for my current car (6 speed). I only had a minor fitment issue with one side where the exhaust tips didn't line up perfectly......an issue I quickly corrected by slightly bending the exhaust hanger bar on the system. I should also mention that I've had to do this with just about every manufacturers system I've installed on both my Challenger and the Mustang Gt my wife drives. The only system I have not had to tweak at all is my current system (Flowmaster Force II). The only reason I had gone with this instead of getting another Magnaflow system was due to it's price point (got it for about $200. cheaper than the best price I could find on a comparable Magnaflow system). The problem now is that I'm starting to yearn for a louder, more aggressive sounding system:notallthere::browsmiley:

With all of this being said, I am most likely going to get another Magnaflow system, although it would be the comp. series this time. I won't have to worry about drone (or MDS at all) as much with the 6 speed. I have read several posts where there have been fitment issues with Magnaflow systems, but it seems that the majority of them are with SRT8's or with the older systems (168xx part number) compared with the newer systems (165xx). Good luck with whatever you choose.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Same issues here

Hi,

I've got the 16516 comp series and while I love the sound, I had fit issues also. My exhaust shop could not get the clamps supplied for the tips to work and took it upon themselves to tack weld the tips on (in the wrong position).

While the shop should not have done this, if the clamps had worked to start with, there would not have been an issue. So If I ever buy another setup, I'll look for another brand.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts