Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The other week I made a post asking who was running these mid pipes....turns out not many people are. I wasn't ready to spend 1500+ on long tubes and didn't want to go full cat less mids like the JBA so I decided to bight the 500.00 bullet on these and see how it went. So far I'm happy!

As always you get the Magnaflow quality. Install was super easy....took about 20 minutes. I have a lift and air tools so add a little bit of time if doing on the ground and by hand tools. The top bolt on the passenger side header is a pain to reach and needs done by hand with a stubby wrench. All other bolts can be reached by an extension and a swivel socket.

Fit was perfect! Remove old pipe, install new, done! I have them bolted to the Flowemaster American Thunder kit and it made the exhaust a little louder but not too much. It actually sounds smoother if that makes sense. My butt dyno says it pulls a little better but who knows. But on the way home some kids video taped me...they gave me a thumbs up so I guess they sound good lol.

I have about 50 miles on them and no check engines light yet. I will let you know if one kicks. You do get a little bit of exhaust smell from time to time but I like the smell so I'm ok with it. You can only smell it in reverse and windows down.

Got some pics for you.

The cats are smaller and the new pipes have less bends...that's always a plus

The inside of the new cats are not wound as tight as the factory. Top picture is factory cat. Bottom is Magnaflow cat.

I didn't get any installed pics cause I ran out of time at work and had to go. I will drive around for a week and pull it back in and check all my connections for tightness and get pics then.

All in all I'm so far happy with this mod. Mid pipes seem to be a mod not a lot of us Challenger guys seem to be interested in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Has anyone dyno'd these to see what gain they actually provide? $500 is quite a bit of scratch for a slight improvement in someone's butt dyno that most likely isn't calibrated like mine. :)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
looks good i been thinking about getting some soon. keep us updated love to here a sound clip
Still no codes!

Great post. Thank you for taking the time to do the right up. What part number did you order? You have 5 speed auto or 6M?
I have a 6 speed. I orderd part number 16420. Most website haven't updated their pages and it says they are for the 6.1L but they work on the 392's

Has anyone dyno'd these to see what gain they actually provide? $500 is quite a bit of scratch for a slight improvement in someone's butt dyno that most likely isn't calibrated like mine. :)
$500 is a lot? A ported throttle body checks in at $400 and people say it doesn't impove much. Headers check in at $1500+ minimal gains. Hell a Diablo tuner is $500. List goes on. I don't really fell $500 is a lot for a mod any more now a days. To each their own though.

Cars are getting more and more efficient now a days from the factory thats why we don't see any huge performance gains in simple bolt on's anymore like you use to. I remember waking up on old 5.0L Mustang with a simple intake manifold swap. What does an intake manifold (if they are even make one) net you anymore? Probably not much. Your best bang for buck mods are going to be internal motor mods or take the supercharger/turbo/nitrous route.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
I would like to see actual HP# More than likely would need a tuner to take the most advantange,seems like it would change A/F ratio.
More flow is never a bad thing,no matter how you look at it!
On top of the cats themselves,the aftermarket ones have less bends, and smoother flow,which should also be a plus?

1,931 Posts
I would like to see actual HP# More than likely would need a tuner to take the most advantange,seems like it would change A/F ratio.
More flow is never a bad thing,no matter how you look at it!
On top of the cats themselves,the aftermarket ones have less bends, and smoother flow,which should also be a plus?
I have had an A/F gauge on my car since it had 10 miles on it....the before and after A/F was exactly the same with the stock cats vs the Magnaflows....The cats on the SRTs are high flows themselves so very little gain is expected going to an after market cat or even catless...ask a person who tunes these cars...this is true for N/A cars not FI...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm also interested in high flow cats. I would have a couple concerns: 1- I live in Colorado and would still need to pass emissions (otherwise I would use catless mids) and 2 - What sort of performance gains should we expect? One of the SRT engineers said roughly 15-20hp was lost in the 6.1 cats (http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f30/srt-engineers-chat-session-11-04-09-a-27852/index7.html) so assuming high flow wouldn't unleash as much as no cats, where does that leave us? 3- I intend on keeping my stock 6.1 headers, but have a MBRP catback. Will they still fit?

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I have had an A/F gauge on my car since it had 10 miles on it....the before and after A/F was exactly the same with the stock cats vs the Magnaflows....The cats on the SRTs are high flows themselves so very little gain is expected going to an after market cat or even catless...ask a person who tunes these cars...this is true for N/A cars not FI...
Just s though. But a/f would ever see a change unless the bung was behind the cat. As long as they are in front which the should be h wouldn't see any difference.

Just a thought. As I have thought about these but not sure if it is worth it.

sent from mobile device

1 - 15 of 15 Posts