Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was considering having my exhaust custom made instead of buying a whole new exhaust setup. I'm trying to save for a wedding and money is a little tight, but my girl wants me to do something nice for my car since I haven't in such a long while, haha. I was considering these two muffler setups from Magnaflow:

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

-or-

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

I'm not very knowledgeable on what the differences are between these two mufflers and wanted to find out if anyone could shed some light on what the key differences are or if one was better over the other for our Challengers.

Alternative suggestions are always welcome as well. I'm looking for a fairly aggressive sound, but something that won't be deafening in the cabin. Also, are there any significant performance gains doing this over using factory? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
I was considering having my exhaust custom made instead of buying a whole new exhaust setup. I'm trying to save for a wedding and money is a little tight, but my girl wants me to do something nice for my car since I haven't in such a long while, haha. I was considering these two muffler setups from Magnaflow:

-or-

I'm not very knowledgeable on what the differences are between these two mufflers and wanted to find out if anyone could shed some light on what the key differences are or if one was better over the other for our Challengers.

Alternative suggestions are always welcome as well. I'm looking for a fairly aggressive sound, but something that won't be deafening in the cabin. Also, are there any significant performance gains doing this over using factory? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:
Those won't make much difference. If you want to have an exhaust custom made keep in mind it won't be stainless pipe like with the pre fabbed Magnaflow systems.

If you do go with the custom make system, I'd get a single muffler with a dual in dual out to replace the suitcase you have now. Then remove the rear resonators and replace those with little 12" glass pack tubes.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Go for a full cat back system

The factory exhaust while sounding good with your foot in it is okay but there is a lot to gain by replacing the full system from the cats on back. I used the magnaflow 16509 which sounds great, flows much better, an instant notice in acceleration and laying hash. The quad tips look great. It is not too loud or aggresive. Save your coin until you can do it all. The system is an easy install and worth it.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys! You're both right and I'm going to go ahead and wait to buy a full system when I have the extra coin. She encouraged me to still go with something in the $300 range so I bought a Moroso catch can with stainless braided lines and a Jet 180° T-stat all for $247.00 shipped from BMC. :bigthumb:

I have a few install threads marked for the install, but is there any input you guys want to give me on best practices or potential issues I may see with the t-stat or can?

·
Banned
2,271 Posts
Solo performance is having a group buy right now. That would reduce your cost a whole lot. It's an awesome exhaust. At a great price.

·
Registered
143 Posts

-or-

Hello,

Mufflers themselves will give you a better sound but not much in the way of HP and Torque. A complete dyno tuned cat-back system with either a resonated X-pipe or X-pipe will show the greatest RWHP and Torque gain.

Here are a few systems form Magnaflow that are available for you Challenger.

Part# 16509 Street series X-pipe 3.0" with new Quad Tips.
Part# 16510 Street series X-pipe 3.0" use factory tips.
Part# 16885 Competition series 3.0" X-pipe, more aggressive sound new quad tips.
Part# 16886 Competition series 3.0" X-pipe, more aggressive sound using factory tips.

Click Here for sound clip launch.

Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions or for low pricing.

Regards,
Don
JDP Motorsports
888-308-6007

1 - 6 of 6 Posts