Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have or know anyone that has any experience with the Magnaflow Race Axle-Back Exhaust? I'm thinking about installing one of these on my 2018 SXT Plus. From the research I've done, the exhaust note sounds more like what I'm looking for. The only negative I've seen so far is that this exhaust system is "designed for modified vehicles" (no specifics to what those mods actually are) and that using pipes exceeding 2.25" (the Magnaflow's pipes are 2.5") will cause some low-end power loss.

·
Super Moderator
12,972 Posts
So, this is basically a fancy resonator delete with quad round tips. For $680 and up. Your stock mufflers remain. Honestly, at a glance I'd say a good muffler shop could delete your resonators and add some tips for a lot less. For $225 more you can get the full Solo exhaust with j-pipes, quad round tips, and no drone. Just sayin' ;) If you are dead set on this, I doubt you'd loose much with slightly bigger pipes after the mid mufflers, and Magnaflow makes good products.

A Guy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, this is basically a fancy resonator delete with quad round tips. For $680 and up. Your stock mufflers remain. Honestly, at a glance I'd say a good muffler shop could delete your resonators and add some tips for a lot less. For $225 more you can get the full Solo exhaust with j-pipes, quad round tips, and no drone. Just sayin' ;) If you are dead set on this, I doubt you'd loose much with slightly bigger pipes after the mid mufflers, and Magnaflow makes good products.

A Guy
Thanks for that...I really appreciate the response and suggestion. No, I'm not totally sold on the Magnaflow exhaust just yet, especially if there are alternatives out there that provide similar/better results (and for less...bonus!). I'll look into the Solo exhaust as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Magna-Flo axle back

I had a Magna-Flo dual exhaust system installed on my 2010 6 cylinder... At that time the rear fascia was for a single exhaust so that was replaced too... Bottom line; a 6 cylinder engine just does not sound the same as an 8.

Eventually I traded up to a 2012 RT.... had the resonators replaced with pipes as someone suggested. The outside sound was incredible, the interior drone was intolerable! Then had the Magna-Flo axle-backs installed on the R/T... very pleasant ride now.

·
Premium Member
516 Posts
I highly recommend Solo cat back for the 3.6 cars, best sound hands down with ZERO drone. Coming from a 3.6 Challenger, and having several friends with 3.6 Challenger/Chargers all who have tried different options and ended up going with Solo.

My two cents.

Good luck on your choice.

-Kenny

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
I had the Magna Flow "competition" exhaust on my 2010 R/T when I bought it. If you want something that is stupid loud and drones like hell, go for it. Don't expect to talk to anyone in the car - or be able to hear much when you get out of the car after an hour or two of driving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just installed a Magnaflow dual in dual out exhaust part #11385 and stright pipes on my 2018 SXT Plus. Took a 300 mile trip to Boston from NJ sound is great no drone at 80-85 most of the way, best exhaust upgrade for $390.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a magnaflow on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo and it had the Pentastar V6. Honestly I wanted to take it off everyday. It sounded awesome when you laid into it but drone was terrible. Now that being said the challys are geared way different so it might not be as bad. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've got an '07 Charger R/T. A few months after owning the car, I had custom exhaust installed on it. The Cat-Back systems are usually pretty pricey - so what I did was install two Magnaflow 1-in-1-out on the south side of the x-pipe (left the x-pipe), and ran 2.5" (which like yours, is 1/4" larger than the factory OEM diameter of 2.25"). I then ran 2.5" pipe from the two Magnaflow mufflers to 4" resonator tips. I chose this size based on a flow calculation I was able to find that demonstrated that there was no torque loss in the lower RPMs / gears - with some gain in some RPMs. So - with the 5.7 I can confirm - no bottom end loss at all with 2.5".

I can't comment on how this would affect your 3.6L, but perhaps you can find a similar flow calc somewhere, so you can observe the data to ensure no torque loss.

The modification(s) they may be referring to would be things like a CAI and/or a tune (such as Diablo 91/93 octane tune). The theory is that if you open up your breathing (intake), tune the car, and also open up the exhaust a bit - you will net the most gain of torque/hp at the wheels.

I will say that with my setup - the drone @ 75-80 is a bit loud... but over the years I've gotten used to it. ALSO get stainless pipe if you can. I got carbon steel back in 2012 and I regret it, especially after my car deals with these Michigan winters :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts