Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone, replaced just the mufflers on their SRT8? I don't want to spring for a complete cat-back system right now. I would just like to replace the standard mufflers in the rear of the car.
Does anyone know the part number, size, etc.. that I need to purchase? I think it might be MF11229, but not sure.
Don't want to order the wrong set.

Would appreciate your knowledge.
Thanks, Tom

·
Premium Member
145 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The resonators are at the very rear of the vehicle, and the mufflers are under the cabin. Almost every muffler shop will tell you the opposite. Ignore them.

·
Premium Member
10,032 Posts
The resonators are at the very rear of the vehicle, and the mufflers are under the cabin. Almost every muffler shop will tell you the opposite. Ignore them.
I wonder why that is said?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what is the "axle back" system that Magnaflow offers? They are listed as mufflers on their website. Confusing...

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
This is SO very true! My highly experienced local muffler shop told me this very same thing!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Right, our mufflers are long and thin; our resonators wide and bulky.

In the aftermarket world, mufflers are wide; resonators thin.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Has anyone, replaced just the mufflers on their SRT8? I don't want to spring for a complete cat-back system right now. I would just like to replace the standard mufflers in the rear of the car.
Does anyone know the part number, size, etc.. that I need to purchase? I think it might be MF11229, but not sure.
Don't want to order the wrong set.

Would appreciate your knowledge.
Thanks, Tom
Waste of money putting on magnaflow mufflers and leaving the rest of the system stock, if you are looking for a low buck way to make your car sound good just remove the resonators at the back of the car with a resonator delete kit, if you have a automatic you will probably experience some drone, if it's a stick you'll love it.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Waste of money putting on magnaflow mufflers and leaving the rest of the system stock, if you are looking for a low buck way to make your car sound good just remove the resonators at the back of the car with a resonator delete kit, if you have a automatic you will probably experience some drone, if it's a stick you'll love it.
Sorry, but that's not true. I had the resonators on my 300 SRT replaced with Magnaflows and it opened up the exhaust at full throttle nicely, without adding any drone or noise inside the cabin.

By contrast, I had my Challenger mufflers replaced with Magnaflows and the resonators deleted and I am struggling with drone and too much noise for my liking.

My suggestion is: dial up the sound level little by little, one step at a tine, and stop once you reach the sound you can live with.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your feedback! It's nice to get some knowledge from those who have gone down this road. Saves from spending a lump of cash, and finding out you hate it. Think I'm leaning toward the reasonator delete and see how that goes to start.
Thanks all !!!!

·
Registered
2015 Hellcat
77 Posts
Exhaust

I did not want to spend a lot on a exhaust system but wanted a more aggressive sound. I went with the Jegs catback system which cost $412 the part number is 555-30423. This system is the Heartthrob system, however Jegs sell it under their name plate. I have taken the car to several Dodge Challenger street meets and have received a lot comments on how well it sounds. I also looked at the following systems (Zoomers, Borla, Solo, Magna Flow, Flowmaster) before purchasing this one. No regrets with Jegs/Heartthrob system.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did not want to spend a lot on a exhaust system but wanted a more aggressive sound. I went with the Jegs catback system which cost $412 the part number is 555-30423. This system is the Heartthrob system, however Jegs sell it under their name plate. I have taken the car to several Dodge Challenger street meets and have received a lot comments on how well it sounds. I also looked at the following systems (Zoomers, Borla, Solo, Magna Flow, Flowmaster) before purchasing this one. No regrets with Jegs/Heartthrob system.
I agree. I've had mine for two years now. Had some drone until it got broken in but no problems since. It is basically a quad glass pack 3" system with an old school sound. You reuse your factory tips. No welding required. If you don't like it just unbolt it and bolt the stock system back on. Summit sells the same system for $400 with free shipping.

·
Registered
2015 Hellcat
77 Posts
I recently removed the two rear short mufflers behind the axle and replaced them with 3 inch straight pipe with new 3inch inlet exhaust tips and the sound is a much deeper tone but not obnoxious. It actually reduced the drone in the cabin.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts