Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had planned to get a 6 speed RT exhaust shipped to me, but it fell through. The dealer that took it off told me he got quotes of over $600 and over $400 to ship the exhaust. I saw one on ebay get shipped for $75 so I said let's just forget about it. While this was all going on, I had two friends tell me that I need to be careful of putting a V8 system on a V6 and that I should consider an after market designed for my SE. I know take-off systems are very popular with many SE especially since they are cheap. But not knowing a lot I would appreciate your input. Also, I've noticed Magnaflow systems are about $1000 while Flowmaster is around $700 and Pypes around $500. Why such the difference? Is Magnaflow really worth it? Have at it...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've listened to youtube videos of ALL the possible aftermarket systems and I decided to go with the flowmaster system. It wasn't as import sounding as the Borla, Magnaflow, and MBRP systems, from what I could tell. It was a toss up between the Pypes and Flowmaster, though. I just didn't want to go too loud. The Pypes seem to be louder, at least on video.

$570 free delivery from streetsideauto.com

I don't care much for the tips that come with the Flowmaster system, but those are easy to replace.

The Pypes and Flowmaster systems are T409 Stainless Steel, so they won't rust through. I belive the stock systems are T409 also.

The pricier systems are T304 which won't dull.

·
Banned
1,340 Posts
I chose to go magnaflow, I bought a used RT system for $100 and the 2 mufflers cost me $150 labor to get it put on was a case of beer. the magnaflows on mine sounded pretty good, not that loud but had a good throaty sound to them.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I went with Blastin' Bob's Y Pipe 10db kit no resonators with mandrel bends and one of his generic Flowmaster 40 series and I am very pleased with the sound. It was under 400 dollars for this setup.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Whatever you decide, I highly suggest NOT to go with alumized anything. Pipes, mufflers, hardware... Aluminized will rust. It may take years before it's a problem, but it will be a problem down the road.

I had a Dynomax aluminized cat back system on one of my previous vehicles, and sure enough, after 3 or 4 years, the mufflers rusted out. It sounded kind of cool for a while, but I ended up having to replace the muffler$$$.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It all depends on what your goals are with the car. If you are just looking for sound, go with what sounds best to you. If you are looking at making power, Magnaflow, hands down. The Magnaflows push alot more CFM through them than Flowmaster. They are also alot more quiet on the idle and part throttle.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had planned to get a 6 speed RT exhaust shipped to me, but it fell through. The dealer that took it off told me he got quotes of over $600 and over $400 to ship the exhaust. I saw one on ebay get shipped for $75 so I said let's just forget about it. While this was all going on, I had two friends tell me that I need to be careful of putting a V8 system on a V6 and that I should consider an after market designed for my SE. I know take-off systems are very popular with many SE especially since they are cheap. But not knowing a lot I would appreciate your input. Also, I've noticed Magnaflow systems are about $1000 while Flowmaster is around $700 and Pypes around $500. Why such the difference? Is Magnaflow really worth it? Have at it...
Hey Rob,
Typically most exhaust decisions come down to sound preference. We can’t speak for the other manufacturers, but if performance is a concern for you, we don’t sell an exhaust kit that doesn’t make power. As far as price difference, our V6 Challenger kit is part of our 409S line of exhaust systems. They are made of stainless steel pipes and mufflers. Some other manufacturers use a more expensive stainless steel which maintains a polished finish for visual aesthetics, but we use a more durable 409 grade for a longer lasting product. An added benefit of using 409 is that it keeps the cost of our kits down. Much cheaper products may not be stainless, or may be made overseas, which can lead to premature parts failure.
Our V6 Challenger kit, Part No: 817459 is a great choice for your car.

Here’s a video covering the complete install with additional sound clips inside and outside of the car.

If you have further questions, call our tech line for more details 1-877-EXHAUST or 1-877-394-2878.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts