Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a new Magnuson SC? I’m looking into it and confirmed with rep that the new systems use hellcat injectors, but stock plugs and stock fuel pump without modification. I thought that a step colder plugs and at least a boost-a-pump (or upgraded fuel pump) is standard. Actually I am not too sure what the step colder plugs actually means. I understand the fuel delivery, but maybe the fuel pump on my ‘13 is inadequate??

·
Registered
2010 R/T Classic 6M
1,287 Posts
Anyone running a new Magnuson SC? I’m looking into it and confirmed with rep that the new systems use hellcat injectors, but stock plugs and stock fuel pump without modification. I thought that a step colder plugs and at least a boost-a-pump (or upgraded fuel pump) is standard. Actually I am not too sure what the step colder plugs actually means. I understand the fuel delivery, but maybe the fuel pump on my ‘13 is inadequate??
On a stock car on only 6psi (3.4" pulley) the stock pump is fine. Anything more than that and you need more pump.
I ran stock plugs on 8psi for a while, dropped to 1 step colder when I went to 9psi. Spark plugs have heat ranges, when you added another 150hp to your motor you typically wanna go one heat range colder, and another heat range when you get to 250. It will help prevent knock. The stock heat range on a 5.7 is '5', one step colder would be '6', and 2 step would be '7'.

Reactions: Gila Hemi

·
Registered
1 Posts
With the 6PSI set up all of my other components were stock. When I changed to the smaller pulley...For spark plugs, I picked up some hell cat plugs. They are the same dimensions, but believe two steps cooler. They work great! For fuel I ordered the API competition single pump kit. HHP has it the cheapest. Good luck and happy boosting!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pak
288 Posts
A colder spark plug transfers heat from the tip of the plug to the head faster than a hotter plug. A hotter plug will be slower transferring heat to the head and can be useful if you need to burn off oil deposits from bad rings or bad valve stem seals. A colder plug will reduce spark plug tip temps reducing the chance of pre-ignition(knock), as long as the heat range is correct for the cylinder pressures and temps you are running. Too cold or too hot are not good. you want to be 'just right'.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,183 Posts
I'm running two step colder plugs with a Fore Innovations duel pump return system and 14 pounds of boost.

·
Registered
2013 R/T
230 Posts
I put an Edelbrock 2300 TVS EForce on my 5.7, it came with a new SRT or 392 pump, not sure, and they recommended a colder step iridium plug gapped to .028. 6.5 PSI 3.25" pulley. Runs good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good info. Thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts