Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
main difference is the 6.4 engine has more frequent oil changes 6K / 6mos max vs. the 5.7s which is 10K / 12mos max.

The 5.7s can go off a bit earlier than 10K if driven in more demanding conditions (hot temperatures, mountain grades, lots of idling time in traffic) - and the system will trigger sooner than 10K

The brake life might be a little shorter with Brembo brakes, but this like tires, is affected by driver habits and driving conditions.
Spark plugs intervals are different but not by much...6.4 is at 96K and 5.7 is at 100K. The online chilton manual lets you compare PM for an RT and SP...did not know about that option.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I'm still in hardcore save mode, but planning to order my challenger later this year or early next. I thought I was going to be content with a scat pack, but now I'm not so sure.

Here is my question: What are the major differences between routine maintenance with the 5.7 and the 6.4 motors?

At first I thought it would be brakes and tires would wear faster and I have no issue with that. Nor do I have issue with premium over mid grade, as premium is cheaper than mid grade where I live. Under $3.00 a gal.
Now, after reading through the forums ( I searched and did not find a thread like this ) I see that oil changes are recommended every 6 months. That got me to thinking what other hidden surprises will I find?

Thanks in advance for any help!
89 octane fuel is made by mixing 91 octane fuel and 87 octane fuel together, fifty-fifty... :grin2:

21 - 22 of 22 Posts