Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 RT original owner with 40k miles. I do my oil changes religiously but the car is going to be 8 years old. I haven’t done any of the big stuff from a maintenance perspective so I wanted to get a pulse check on where you guys would start with maintenance before stuff goes sideways. Money is always an issue so I would need to prioritize the list from “Do ASAP” to “Do when you can”. The dealer performed an injector cleaning last time and an oil change but didn’t really recommend anything else. But none of the flushes have been completed and the plugs haven’t been changed. Thanks for any feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,123 Posts
  • Transmission fluid & filter change
  • Rear-end gear oil drain & fill
  • brake fluid replacement (with new/fresh)
  • engine coolant drain & fill

Those are always the first things I do to my used car acquisitions. Keeps them running well for me going forward.

Reactions: Browneye

·
Registered
586 Posts
2013 RT original owner with 40k miles. I do my oil changes religiously but the car is going to be 8 years old. I haven’t done any of the big stuff from a maintenance perspective so I wanted to get a pulse check on where you guys would start with maintenance before stuff goes sideways. Money is always an issue so I would need to prioritize the list from “Do ASAP” to “Do when you can”. The dealer performed an injector cleaning last time and an oil change but didn’t really recommend anything else. But none of the flushes have been completed and the plugs haven’t been changed. Thanks for any feedback!

Normally when you take it into the Service center for stuff they do a courtesy inspection and recommend items that need attention.

·
Registered
586 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Text Photograph White Line Font
Text Photograph White Style Line
Text White Line Style Font
Text Photograph White Line Style
Text White Line Style Font

The owner’s manual has 7 pages of information regarding the first 84 months of maintenance services for that car.

A cursory examination reveals many services repeated over and over, and the wording of those repeated services is so generic and vague that’s it’s virtually useless if trying to come up with an actual plan of action on what needs to be done.

Inspect exhaust system.” is my favorite. That’s my go-to excuse anytime Mrs Nuke finds me passed out under my car.

You drank yourself stupid and passed out under the car again, didn’t you?!?”

Nope, I was inspecting the exhaust system just like the manual says! Now get back in here, woman, and help me find my underwear!”

I will admit to finding one useful tidbit in that avalanche of noise - the spark plug service was bolded in the 30K mile page. I forgot the pre-2014 5.7Ls came with 30K mile NGK copper plugs.

So my original list of stuff that should be considered for maintenance services needs one more entry: replace the spark plugs with a new set, Iridiums if possible, CopperCore if financial troubles are ever present.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
View attachment 1009402 View attachment 1009403 View attachment 1009404 View attachment 1009405 View attachment 1009406 View attachment 1009407 View attachment 1009408

The owner’s manual has 7 pages of information regarding the first 84 months of maintenance services for that car.

A cursory examination reveals many services repeated over and over, and the wording of those repeated services is so generic and vague that’s it’s virtually useless if trying to come up with an actual plan of action on what needs to be done.

Inspect exhaust system.” is my favorite. That’s my go-to excuse anytime Mrs Nuke finds me passed out under my car.

You drank yourself stupid and passed out under the car again, didn’t you?!?”

Nope, I was inspecting the exhaust system just like the manual says! Now get back in here, woman, and help me find my underwear!”

I will admit to finding one useful tidbit in that avalanche of noise - the spark plug service was bolded in the 30K mile page. I forgot the pre-2014 5.7Ls came with 30K mile NGK copper plugs.

So my original list of stuff that should be considered for maintenance services needs one more entry: replace the spark plugs with a new set, Iridiums if possible, CopperCore if financial troubles are ever present.
Nuke- great stuff man. I really appreciate it. I thought I had read something a while back in the spark plugs. The car is paid for so I want to take care of it for sure. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
10,123 Posts
Nuke- great stuff man. I really appreciate it. I thought I had read something a while back in the spark plugs. The car is paid for so I want to take care of it for sure. Not familiar with iridium plugs but if that’s the way to go then that’s what I’ll do. Thanks again!

The Iridiums have a 100K mile service interval, as opposed to the 30K mile coppers. That’s their main advantage and reason for FCA retroactively recommending them as replacements now.

If the car has only racked up 40K miles in 7 years, the coppers are still a good option IMHO. The Iridiums will be significantly more expensive to buy, and you have to buy 16 of them, so unless the car sees a lot of miles in a short amount of time (or you just really hate changing the plugs), the extra value you buy with the Iridiums may not get realized.

And copper vs iridium isn’t the only options. Platinum, double platinum, etc work just fine. Their service lives will be more than copper but less than Iridium. You get what you pay for with the plugs’ chemistry, and you’re essentially paying for longevity.

Reactions: Hoghunter

·
Registered
3 Posts
  • Change engine oil and engine oil filter
  • Rotate tires
  • Inspect automatic transmission fluid
  • Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as required
  • Inspect brake linings, parking brake function
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses, and parking brake
  • Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses
  • Inspect exhaust system
  • Inspect the front suspension, tie rod ends, and boot seals, and replace if necessary
These are the services need if you run for about 40,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts