Votes: 3 7.9%
  • No Engine Problems

Votes: 35 92.1%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who had had major warranty work on their 6.1 engines (e.g., lifters, valves, etc.)? If so, please state what type of repairs and your mileage.

·
Premium Member
4,691 Posts
Other than the #7 cylinder misfire, I'm good. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
See attached copy below of my original post from a few days ago.
Lifters and rockers replaced after tearing engine completely apart.

2009 Challenger SRT, Auto, 10,800 miles YOUNG. Broke it in very gently, never raced it or pushed it hard. Only things added were a K&N Air Raid cold air intake and Flowmaster 40's for better breathing and sound.

Oil changed at 1,500 and 3,000 due to "old school belief" of break-in. Changed again at 6,000 and 9,000 - ALWAYS MOBIL-1 0W40 FULL SYNTHETIC. Changed oil often due to time since last change versus mileage since last change.
Had to dealer several times for noisy tapping/rattling during cold start warm up. Always seemed to go away after oil temp reached 110-120. Dealer said tapping was normal lifter noise inherent in the 6.1 SRT engines.

As car reached approx'y 10,000 miles, tapping was getting louder, lasting longer, and a few weeks ago while the car was in the garage running for it's weekly start-up during winter non-driving weather, it began a VERY LOUD knocking.
Took to dealer, said lifter went bad, they would replace all of them under warranty, easy repair, just pull intake, replace lifters and reseal engine. Went in 3 days later, BOTH heads are off, engine is having "open-heart surgery'.

WTF BATMAN - THIS IS AN SRT!!! Has anyone else had these loud tapping noises or anything similar? How can I get in touch with the SRT Team for their input and thoughts?
I am VERY disheartened by the whole thing. I had a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab with 5.7, and recently traded it in for a 2010 2500 CrewCab with the 5.7. I have ALWAYS been a MOPAR MADMAN - LOVE THEM, but this flat out stinks.
In my opinion, the car and engine will never be the same, ever. The factory engine has been opened...
Thoughts, input, encouragement, solutions??? I am ready to let the dealer purchase the car back for a large loss, because I do not trust it will be corrected. They said it is finished, and when I went to pick it up, it was making the same tapping/rattling that originally caught my attention in the first place. How long until it knocks again or blows up, this time not under warranty???

SRT TEAM- IF YOU READ THIS and would like to get in direct contact with me, my personal e-mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
585 Posts
runs strong as heck, never floated the valves

·
Registered
8 Posts
when I went to pick it up, it was making the same tapping/rattling that originally caught my attention in the first place. How long until it knocks again or blows up, this time not under warranty???
Did you bother ask why they had the heads off? Sounds like there is a lot more missing to this story.

·
Registered
119 Posts
See attached copy below of my original post from a few days ago.
Lifters and rockers replaced after tearing engine completely apart.

2009 Challenger SRT, Auto, 10,800 miles YOUNG. Broke it in very gently, never raced it or pushed it hard. Only things added were a K&N Air Raid cold air intake and Flowmaster 40's for better breathing and sound.

Oil changed at 1,500 and 3,000 due to "old school belief" of break-in. Changed again at 6,000 and 9,000 - ALWAYS MOBIL-1 0W40 FULL SYNTHETIC. Changed oil often due to time since last change versus mileage since last change.
Had to dealer several times for noisy tapping/rattling during cold start warm up. Always seemed to go away after oil temp reached 110-120. Dealer said tapping was normal lifter noise inherent in the 6.1 SRT engines.

As car reached approx'y 10,000 miles, tapping was getting louder, lasting longer, and a few weeks ago while the car was in the garage running for it's weekly start-up during winter non-driving weather, it began a VERY LOUD knocking.
Took to dealer, said lifter went bad, they would replace all of them under warranty, easy repair, just pull intake, replace lifters and reseal engine. Went in 3 days later, BOTH heads are off, engine is having "open-heart surgery'.

WTF BATMAN - THIS IS AN SRT!!! Has anyone else had these loud tapping noises or anything similar? How can I get in touch with the SRT Team for their input and thoughts?
I am VERY disheartened by the whole thing. I had a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 CrewCab with 5.7, and recently traded it in for a 2010 2500 CrewCab with the 5.7. I have ALWAYS been a MOPAR MADMAN - LOVE THEM, but this flat out stinks.
In my opinion, the car and engine will never be the same, ever. The factory engine has been opened...
Thoughts, input, encouragement, solutions??? I am ready to let the dealer purchase the car back for a large loss, because I do not trust it will be corrected. They said it is finished, and when I went to pick it up, it was making the same tapping/rattling that originally caught my attention in the first place. How long until it knocks again or blows up, this time not under warranty???

SRT TEAM- IF YOU READ THIS and would like to get in direct contact with me, my personal e-mail is [email protected]
Wow, that really sucks the bag !!

I may be entering the same dimension as you with a 5.7.... not good either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have not heard of it on the 5.7. Had it both my 2007 Ram 1500 Quad and my new 2010 Ram 2500 Crew. Both 4x4, never a problem. I know multiple other people that have the R/T 5.7, and they are all QUIET, just the pretty note of a strong, healthy powerplant waiting for the throttlebody to open up. Mine sounded, and still sounds, like an old school typewriter being pecked away at by someone with mad skills on a keyboard. Sucks the bag is one of the same thoughts I originally thought.
What is going on with yours....year, mileage??

·
Premium Member
1,987 Posts
Are we talking about the "Hemi Tick" or something else here. Most Hemi's "tick" a bit. It's normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts