Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a rookie mistake recently and it nearly cost me $200 for a new battery. Most of you probably already know this but I thought I'd share my mistake in the hope that it prevents someone else from making the same mistake this winter (assuming you plan to let your Challenger hibernate).

Late model Challengers come with an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) style battery. AGM batteries can not be maintained with conventional battery chargers, you have to use a charger / maintainer that is specifically designed for AGM batteries. If you connect a conventional battery charger to an AGM battery the charging indicator will light but never turn off. It will simply keep charging the battery until it is overcharged and if left on too long will damage or shorten the life of the battery. AGM batteries require chargers with microprocessors that regulate the charge rate and have the correct logic to detect that the battery is fully charged and turn off.

So, that Battery Tender you use on your Harley, probably isn't a good choice for your Challenger! Search Amazon for AGM battery chargers. I bought the Deltran Battery Tender below and seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
I use a 6v trickle charger on mine and it works as it should, "Yellow" charging and then "Green" fully charged and every time I check it, it is on green.
I replaced my original battery last year so it lasted from 2015.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had an AGM in an 11 Challenger and there is one in our 16 Cherokee. I use "Battery Tender" models which are Deltran brand and they work just fine with both types of batteries.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Late model Challengers come with an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) style battery.
Not unless someone swapped it, they come stock with your basic old school wet cell lead acid vented battery. But good info on the AGM for those who are considering swapping over.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not unless someone swapped it, they come stock with your basic old school wet cell lead acid vented battery. But good info on the AGM for those who are considering swapping over.

Mine is a '19 Scat Pack built in Nov 2019. Just bought it brand new, so the battery is stock. No idea when they started fitting them but mine is definitely an AGM. Found out the hard way when I nearly boiled the battery using a conventional charger.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
Mine is a '19 Scat Pack built in Nov 2019. Just bought it brand new, so the battery is stock. No idea when they started fitting them but mine is definitely an AGM. Found out the hard way when I nearly boiled the battery using a conventional charger.
Ok cool, post a pic. Definitely something new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok cool, post a pic. Definitely something new.

Not 100% sure of facts but I believe they went to AGM (which are totally sealed) due to the location of the battery in the trunk. The trunk is considered part of the cabin and therefore susceptible to the vapors that a regular battery emits I think some models have a breather assembly to try and alleviate the problem - mine does not.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
513 Posts
Get a real charger, all my chargers do ALL battery's from caveman to future...………...

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,948 Posts
As far as I can tell, the battery that comes in the 2019 Scat Pack is still the 56029635AD Lead Acid battery

A Guy

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
513 Posts
U are correct, wet style battery comes stock, also a AGM says AGM on it sense it needs a pulse charger

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Late model Challengers come with an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) style battery.
My 2 R/Ts and my brand new fully loaded hellcat, have ALL come with the lead acid batt.
Floydy seems far more likely that your cars battery was switched out at some point. not uncommnon for dealer to do as new cars often travel / sit for weeks, even months and batteries die.
Might be best as well, to not post advice - stated as fact - which could lead to someone making a costly mistake, especially when there is a good chance that information may not be correct or applicable to everyone. :unsure:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My 2 R/Ts and my brand new fully loaded hellcat, have ALL come with the lead acid batt.
Floydy seems far more likely that your cars battery was switched out at some point. not uncommnon for dealer to do as new cars often travel / sit for weeks, even months and batteries die.
Might be best as well, to not post advice - stated as fact - which could lead to someone making a costly mistake, especially when there is a good chance that information may not be correct or applicable to everyone. :unsure:
The advice is to use the correct type of charger for an AGM battery and as such is correct advice. My car was fitted with an AGM style battery and was not swapped by the dealer. I special ordered the vehicle and it was at the dealer lot for less than 2 days before I took delivery. Perhaps mine was an anomaly, perhaps not - the point of the post is that using a non-AGM charger on an AGM battery will likely damage the battery.

·
Registered
2019 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack B5 Blue
29 Posts
The advice is to use the correct type of charger for an AGM battery and as such is correct advice. My car was fitted with an AGM style battery and was not swapped by the dealer. I special ordered the vehicle and it was at the dealer lot for less than 2 days before I took delivery. Perhaps mine was an anomaly, perhaps not - the point of the post is that using a non-AGM charger on an AGM battery will likely damage the battery.
My 2019 Scat Pack also has an AGM battery. I'll have to look for it but I know somewhere in the documentation that came with the car the AGM battery is referenced.

·
Registered
13,967 Posts
As far as I can tell, the battery that comes in the 2019 Scat Pack is still the 56029635AD Lead Acid battery

View attachment 983266

A Guy
Same battery in my 16.

My car was fitted with an AGM style battery and was not swapped by the dealer. I special ordered the vehicle and it was at the dealer lot for less than 2 days before I took delivery. Perhaps mine was an anomaly, perhaps not.
Still have the battery? Post a pic please.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The advice is to use the correct type of charger for an AGM battery and as such is correct advice.
Your unsolicited, prognosticated public service announcement maybe correct and certainly valid as it pertains to AGM batts.
It has yet to be factually determined that "certain FCA models and certain years are now being thusly equipped - from the factory. (and not swapped out / added in post Dodge assembly line, at the dealer, during transport, etc)
However your blanket statement of: (Late model Challengers come with an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) style battery. )
since you want to go down this road - is Not correct.
At all.
The "modern challenger" would include every one made since 2008..thats several hundred thousand cars made years before AGM batteries came into being.

My simple suggestion, since your so new and all, was that you should/could check your facts before assuming that you have them and haul off to post that info (as a fact) to the board, where IDK, others may think you actually know what you are talking about and make either puchasing or mechanical decisions based on that assumption.
I made a rookie mistake recently and it nearly cost me $200 for a new battery
Any reasonable person wouldn't think that too much to ask and then applogize for any confusions such a statement may have caused.
I second the request for YOUR in car PICS of the battery as well.....

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is a tense subject lol, I’ll have to go check my 19’.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts