Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm one step away form buying the Barton shifter for my '16 Scat pack.
1. Is the skip shift eliminator still a thing? If so, should i put it in with the Barton?
2. Installation
a. Is this thing a nightmare if you're not a car mechanic?
b. Any good ideas on a shop that'll do the install near queens/LI NY? One guy told me like $700 installed which seemed a little high...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
128 Posts
I was able to install the Barton on my '17 Scat Pack and I'm by no means a mechanic. WorkPlayDrive has an installation video on YouTube. I would recommend watching the video to determine if you want to try it. The hardest thing for me was a lack space for hand placement to remove and replace the pins and clips. I installed a skip shift eliminator prior to the Barton but its not required.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,093 Posts
It is as simple as disconnecting the appropriate connector and the putting the eliminator in the connector. The only mildly difficult thing is the small space in which to put your hands. It’s pretty easy. It’s not a required step. It is a good move if you hate getting the shifter locked out and forced to go to 4th gear when you get in the range of speed/rpms. Making that go away is well worth the effort.

·
Registered
2019 M6 Scat Pack
827 Posts
I don't know why Dodge put it in the car. It's certainly not to save gas. They already charge the guzzler tax.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
I don't know why Dodge put it in the car. It's certainly not to save gas. They already charge the guzzler tax.
It might be required, all the OEM's have it and have for decades, this skip-shift system first used on the 89 Corvette.

And it probably does save a little gas and without it, you might be in the next guzzler category and be charged $1300 instead of $1000.

Hellcat Widebodies just got bumped and they now pay $2100 up from $1700.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Unicorn

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts
I'm one step away form buying the Barton shifter for my '16 Scat pack.
1. Is the skip shift eliminator still a thing? If so, should i put it in with the Barton?
2. Installation
a. Is this thing a nightmare if you're not a car mechanic?
b. Any good ideas on a shop that'll do the install near queens/LI NY? One guy told me like $700 installed which seemed a little high...

Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum. I hope you're enjoying your car.

The Barton Shifter is an incredibly well-engineered piece of equipment. Almost too well engineered for daily driving as the centering springs do their jobs because they're very strong. If you go forward, give it a couple of weeks to loosen up a little --- and for you to get used to the extra effort to shift from 4th to 5th --- before forming a final opinion.

1. Whether you do the Barton or not ... add the Skip Shift Eliminator. It's the easiest mod you'll ever do. You'll unplug a connector from the transmission, plug in one end of the Eliminator, then plug the original wire into the the other end of he Eliminator. It'll take you longer to lift and lower the car than to do the actual work.

2. Installation.
a. As @dgillogly1 said ... take a look at WorkPlayDrive installation video here: WPD Barton Shifter Installation. God Bless that man for making this video available. I had my iPad in the car so I could play and pause and play again for each step. If you have basic tools - and a small 1/4" drive ratchet makes some steps easier - then it's definitely something you can do yourself. It took me a couple of hours, but I was very deliberate with each step .... and spent way too long looking for a dang 10mm socket that somehow ended up under one of my WeatherTech mats.
b. If that $700 includes the $474 for the shifter ... then you'll have to decide whether it's worth $225 to have someone else do the work. But there's no way I'd pay a shop $700 on top of the $474.

If you move forward with the Barton ... consider adding a Speed Dawg shift knob. The extra size and weight seems to make shifting the Barton feel a little more natural. Speed Dawg Knobs - Mopar

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
BTW if you ever want to completely get rid of skip shift and the solenoid I was able to do it by modifying the tune and installing a plug. It's overkill but one less piece of garbage attached to the trans.

See my ramblings in this thread if you have nothing better to do.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
Not if you just get out of first gear early.
That's what I always did, winding out 1st with that much torque just not necessary.

·
Registered
16,216 Posts
When 5.7 was stock not so much...tended to lug. Maybe the 6.4s can with more ease?
I don't remember an issue with my 5.7L, second gear at 700 rpm is about 7 mph so that should work for rolling traffic.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,790 Posts
I don't remember an issue with my 5.7L, second gear at 700 rpm is about 7 mph so that should work for rolling traffic.

I remember when I first drove the RT home (almost 4 years ago) from a dealership in Gurnee IL (~50miles from my house). It was snowing (~2 inch accumulated) and I was being gentle on the gas. First time I experienced skip shift was while taking a left turn. I was scrambling to get the car in 2nd and was like WTF is the trans broke? Then I came here and was like...oh that was skip shift. Next thing I know I was searching for how to get rid of it. Then I learned about the clutch delay valve and it all snowballed from there. :p

1 - 20 of 55 Posts