Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove both the man and auto v8. Wow, that 6 speed man sure was fun on the open road! The auto made it seem like driving miss daisy.

My main concern is that the car will be my daily driver and a manual in stop and go traffic or running errands may get old. What about resale value? What is more desirable...man or auto?

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts
John, I'll suggest you use search before someone else does ! Been discussed unteen times here and the consensus is if in the city or you want to get fastest times at a strip go with the auto. Some like me simply wouldn't own an auto in a car like this.

·
Banned
7,159 Posts
This is the first time anyone has asked this question.

I can't wait to hear the responses on this one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
All depends what you are going to do with your car..If being cool or letting people know you have a stick, shifting when you want, then the manuel is the way to go. if you want the comfort of driving and not holding the clutch down at the stop lights or if you are going to drag race, then you want the Auto=stick!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi John,

This question has been asked many times. I have a stick, and I enjoy it a lot because it makes the car more "interactive." I got out of an '08 Charger R/T because it just didn't have the "fun factor" that the stick has. My driving almost never includes stop and go, so I can get away with a stick. If your driving consists of a lot of stop and go, then I'd probably go with the automatic. And besides, the autos are quicker (most of the time) than the sticks, and it's pretty hard to put the auto's into the rev limiter. Good luck with your choice.
DougT

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
You asked so I'll tell ya. I've owned both, the first was auto cause it was SE, no choice but also because of the "traffic" concerns. Love driving Challenger, but stresses me to no end, to park the thing, anywhere. So most the time for just running to store, or even when I WAS still working, I'd take my 2000 button start Harley. Got my 6-speed in July, NOW I look for any excuse to drive the Challenger! Still stress over parking it anwhere, but thats good cardio to RUN thru the stores, he he! Better stock exhaust, SLD rear, 392 gears ( on 20" pk), track pack, better brakes, streering are just SOME of the advantages ( with the R/T). But it is just MORE FUN, to drive one than the auto simple!;)

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Same here, I've had both. The auto was a decent tranny and shifted well, but the fun factor was not the same as with the manual. I try and avoid a lot of stop and go driving and do not race the car on a dragstrip. For me, IF I had to navigate through stop and go driving every day and drag raced this car, I would've stayed with the auto. This car is basically a weekend cruiser for me so it's all about the fun factor and feeling more part of the driving experience, thats why I went with the manual.:browsmiley:
In the end, it's what YOU want and need not what each of us use.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
7,301 Posts
You have to buy what you want. The clutch is easy to push and won't be a problem in traffic (it is not like the clutches of 1970).

I picked the manual. :D

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
John, I'll suggest you use search before someone else does ! Been discussed unteen times here and the consensus is if in the city or you want to get fastest times at a strip go with the auto. Some like me simply wouldn't own an auto in a car like this.
To be honest, I'd prefer a friggin' handbrake over a manual, I still don't get why Dodge didn't put one in this car, it would be SO much more fun

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
Its a subjective item among buyers - the 'stick is nearly 50% of the SRT8 and R/T builds overall, so that's one indication of what kind of demographic this model attracts.

Since its an extra $695 - $995 option for the 6-speed (SRTs cost less for the 'stick option), it will add to resale since this is an extra cost option above the automatic equipped versions.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Since its an extra $695 - $995 option for the 6-speed (SRTs cost less for the 'stick option), it will add to resale since this is an extra cost option above the automatic equipped versions.
I wonder if the price guides will change this way of thinking once the prices for automatics and "sticks" swaps next year?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I wonder if the price guides will change this way of thinking once the prices for automatics and "sticks" swaps next year?
It might not change. When I was checking resale value of my wifes 07 mustang gt, it had higher resale with the manual vs the auto, even though the auto was extra as an option. I had wondered why Dodge didn't follow suit with ford and chev. by offering the stick as standard and auto as an option in 09 and 10. Most of the american sports cars had always had a manual transmission as standard equipment. To be truthful, I'm a bit P.O'd about it now that they've changed it around for the '11 MY. Great news for the new buyers, sux for us who purchased in previous years....still a great car with either transmission though:bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
15,732 Posts
I had wondered why Dodge didn't follow suit with ford and chev. by offering the stick as standard and auto as an option in 09 and 10.
Most of the american sports cars had always had a manual transmission as standard equipment. To be truthful, I'm a bit P.O'd about it now that they've changed it around for the '11 MY.
Great news for the new buyers, sux for us who purchased in previous years....still a great car with either transmission though:bigthumb:
In the past years, the automatic was the "have it" option and mfgrs could charge extra for an option that 80% of the buying would opt for since manuals were mostly considered inconvenient and the automatic was the 'modern' convenience/luxury feature to have (in years past).

Now that automatics are commonplace in today's market, some mfgrs charge extra for 'stick to recoup the costs for certification and additional complexity of building a more 'niche' offering of a driveline. There's more steps to install, align and put together all the hardware (flywheels, pedals, hydr. lines, different pedal support brackets, etc) and align the clutch to the flywheel and there's a lot of machining going into a m/t assembly.

In the overall picture of RWD cars that Chrsyler builds, the manual tranny is a small % of the production...even looking at Ram trucks, the offerings with 'stick trannies are pretty limited even on the trucks.

Even GM was charging extra $$ for manuals in Corvettes (when both auto and manual are possible, ZR1 and Z06 have been 'stick only) and in the Camaro, where in the past the manual was n/c and automatic was extra cost...

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
hey gso check your pms bra.. 18!

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
no right answer is completely subjective to the owner

·
Banned
117 Posts
Bottom line.... if you like to cruise and watch girls, smoke, drink coffee, care more for people watching you,etc.... get a auto.
If you are a true driver, love the feel of having your car as your war horse....then manual is for you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts