Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new challenger and would like the 6-speed. I would like to know if the manual will outperform the auto, assuming you know how to shift well. Seems like the manual cars have always been slightly quicker than autos over the years. Is this still the same? I think manuals also have slightly higher mpg according to literature for the challenger. This might be due some to different final drive ratios though. Thanks for any insights.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Some will beat me up for this, but I do not even think it's close. There may be 1 person who is running fast in his 6 speed, but the Auto's rule at the track. Go look at the times in the official 1/4 mile threads.

Maybe if you are absolute pro driver who does everything perfect, you can be right there, but a lot of people feel they are that person until they try to race the car including myself. This is my first Auto sports car. I have had all manual's previously.

Also, if you are gonna go to a track, and bracket race, the Auto will be much more consistent. Just my .2

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
The auto is quicker than the 6-speed transmission. The gas mileage with a 6-speed transmission is higher than an auto because of the higher drivetrain efficiency of a manual transmission.

·
Registered
820 Posts
People who go to the track have a tendency to get the auto, but I love my 6-speed more control is always a good thing and yes mpg is better with the 6.

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
The auto is faster, the six speed defuels between shifts is what were finding out. I think the fuel mileage deal is debatable, I have not seen any science behind that statement. It could be true, but I'm doubting it. The driver has more affect than the trans.IMO

·
Registered
820 Posts
Huh

I think the fuel mileage deal is debatable, I have not seen any science behind that statement. It could be true, but I'm doubting it. The driver has more affect than the trans.IMO
It depends on the driver but sticks get better mpg they always have and always will.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
on a straight line...auto's will beat a 6 speed all day. I don't care how good someone can shift....the auto is very crisp and fast. The manual is 10x more fun though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are the differences going to be in tenths of a second or a couple hundredths? The fun factor is part of my decision for sure, I am trying to have a proper mid-life crisis and get the quickest one as well!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Are the differences going to be in tenths of a second or a couple hundredths? The fun factor is part of my decision for sure, I am trying to have a proper mid-life crisis and get the quickest one as well!
Of course we all know manual is more fun. You are not going to get the best of both worlds, although some love to use the Auto in manual mode. I never use it myself. You want fun, you get manual, you want speed, you get stick. Definitely multiple tenths faster for the Auto.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
503 Posts
listen I have seen 2 SRT's at the track a auto vs 6sp....if the manual hooks up it is just as fast as the auto.....the car i saw had the HOP NOT kit on it...and it also depends on your definiton of faster? they are both stock and ran 13.3's on the F1's..................just my opinion

·
Registered
99 Posts
For me it was 6 Speed or no Challenger, for a "correct" mid-life crisis :browsmiley:
I dont plan to go to the track at all, and my car is plennnnnnnnty fast enough for me. (and fun)
But for some it was the opposite. The auto's are very efficient meaning they do their job very well as previously stated.

·
Registered
630 Posts
If you are looking at R/T's, the auto has the 5.7 HEMI with MDS which shuts down 4 cylinders during certain driving conditions for better fuel economy. The 6-speed does not have this. The 6-speed is also tuned to run on slightly higher octane fuel (91 octane for the 6-speed, 89 for the auto). In reality, I'm not sure what that means as far as fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I have owned both automatic and manual R/T's and I am positive that the six speed gets better gas mileage than the automatic.
I own a 2008 SRT8 now. As most know all 2008's have an automatic. My SRT8 likes the premium fuel but the fun factor of the SRT8 is worth it to me. I have enjoyed all my Challengers very much. I love these cars and I can't wait until someone I know gets a 392 so I can check it out up close and personal.
I think a really good driver can get just as much speed out of the six speed but the automatic lends itself to more consistency for a driver like me who has never been on a racetrack. I did my share of drag racing as a teenager but all my racing was done on the street. I don't support street racing as a good thing to do I did have a lot of fun in my youth. I am blessed to still be here considering some of the risks I took when young and dumb.

·
Registered
754 Posts
...I am trying to have a proper mid-life crisis and get the quickest one as well!

Well, If you are looking for a proper mid-life crisis car, you're looking at the wrong car... the Challenger has two (2) too many seats for starters...

If you want a mid-life crisis car, go pick up a used Porsche - the quintessential mid-life crisis car.
You can get a low mileage Cayman that's just a few years old for around $30K (and most people won't know its really just a hard-top Boxster and will mistake it for a 911) or go for the real deal and get a slightly older 911 Carrera for about the same money.

...and the 911 will be quicker than the Challenger (although the Challenger will best the Cayman!)

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
Magazine testing has consistently shown the 6-speed to be quicker and faster than autos. That being said, in the real world, the Autos are killing the 6-speeds at the track. Unless you are willing to spend the money to get the hop not or change out to a pedders suspension for track use to minimize wheelhop, the auto will most likely win.

i chose the 6-speed because I like it. Its only driven a couple times a month at best and I believe its more fun to drive. Chose whats best for you so you have no regrets down the road. We are talking about a lot of money.

Also note, the R/T 6-speed cannot reach 60 in 2nd gear because of the lower redline than the 6.1 SRT, so that extra shift hurts 0-60 times a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you to all responses so far. Archtaan, that is information that I wasn't able to find quickly while searching the internet. I assumed the six speed could be quicker if done correctly, but there are a lot of guys here that point to the auto as quicker.

Ace, mine would be treated similarly. No trips to the strip, just some playing. No daily driving in the city, just special trips and playing.

Porsche?...NO, NO, NO! Would not look good next to my 'Cuda (with a 4-speed).

1 - 20 of 180 Posts