Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing I wish my car had that the automatics have is the on dash gear display.
Maybe it's because I'm getting old but sometimes I forget what gear I'm in...LOL.

That wasn't much of a problem back in the day with four-speeds but now, with the extra gate, sometimes I lose track.
It would be nice, for example, to see a 4 or a 5 on the instrument panel sometimes :)

Am I alone on this...?

Is there a display o the later models...? Mine is a 2015...

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I actually wanted this too and was diss appointed to find out my buddys base honda civic manual has a gear display, also it maintains cruise controll through gear change

Cant have it all i guess,

·
Premium Member
10,053 Posts
My bad, thought you were driving an 8 speed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If this car was automatic only like the ridiculous charger, it wouldn’t be here in my garage. His car fortunately has a MAN pedal.

Clint

Reactions: trippytro

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ahh yes I’m there with you, it’s always fun to do the 4 pedal shuffle...

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've personally never ever had the need for that in any manual car I've owned

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Well yeah maybe if you're daydreaming it's very possible but my brain fart when I had my M6 was starting in 3rd thinking I already put it in 1st, hated when that happened

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,970 Posts
One thing I wish my car had that the automatics have is the on dash gear display.
Maybe it's because I'm getting old but sometimes I forget what gear I'm in...LOL.

That wasn't much of a problem back in the day with four-speeds but now, with the extra gate, sometimes I lose track.
It would be nice, for example, to see a 4 or a 5 on the instrument panel sometimes :)

Am I alone on this...?

Is there a display o the later models...? Mine is a 2015...
You already have one. It's called a tachometer... :grin2:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Funny they aint got one with all the rest of the fancy electronic gizmos they have, hell even some motorcycles even have them!It could be useful at times!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
I've never felt the need for it either, but it would be nice anyway. Theoretically, not a single part or sensor would need to be added to the car. The PCM can tell what gear you're in at any time based on rpm, engine load and and vehicle speed. All they would need to do is program the cluster to display it.

Maybe that's one of those things they could add for us manual guys, along with rev-match and no-lift shift capability. Dodge, are you listening? I'd even be willing to pay for the software upgrade.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just got out of a Focus ST and it had a up and down shift arrow that was annoying as hello. It wants you to gear up at 2000 rpm well before boost was at the fun level

I understand your question with “What gear am I in light” and I am glad there is no such “dummy” light in my R/T, nothing to ignore on the dash.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
3,487 Posts
Read the manual, go through ALL the setting for the display, you can enable current gear on the display, even when in D automatic. (at least I could on my 2015 Charger, and my 2018 Challenger)
You can change so many things on the central display, read the book and try them all. Also don't forget you can choose what is on the top 3 portions as well. I am surprised how many people use MPH in the center when you can put it on the top and get something else in the center.

·
Registered
15,862 Posts
With all the gizmo readouts and displays I'm still looking for the digital tachometer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Read the manual, go through ALL the setting for the display, you can enable current gear on the display, even when in D automatic. (at least I could on my 2015 Charger, and my 2018 Challenger)
You can change so many things on the central display, read the book and try them all. Also don't forget you can choose what is on the top 3 portions as well. I am surprised how many people use MPH in the center when you can put it on the top and get something else in the center.
I like to keep the zero to sixty meter in the center myself :)

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
1,188 Posts
With six speeds, it hard to tell what its in and been driving a stick for 30 years.

SO YES, to see on the cluster what gear I am in at a glance would be nice, just saying.

Mine lives in 4th, 5th mostly and rarely 6th on work commute, (60 speed limit)

Reactions: Okeesignguy
1 - 20 of 26 Posts