Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, it's been a while since I've posted cuz I've simply been out enjoyingm y ride. However, all of a sudden today my Chalz decided it would stop shifting gears while the car is running. Shut off everything moves around fine but in the rare instance that I get it shifting while it's running, it shifts "roughly" to say the least. i'm not getting any gear grinding sounds or anything like that but like I said.. it happened pretty much all of a sudden. If I have the car running and try to force the shift the gear will slightly catch and the car will barely coast (that's how I was able to slowly back out my parking area at work to come home.) Please let me know where to start!! Thanks in advance for the help.
:(

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
Do you have a skip shift eliminator? If so it's possible it's come unplugged or otherwise having a problem.

If not it could be the solenoid itself.

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
It sounds to me like the clutch is not disengaging completely. Check the brake fluid (shares duty with the hydraulic clutch). Might want to take it to the dealer for a warranty check.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response guys, I've been staring at this screen all night waiting on something. The catch is that I'm stationed overseas right now and can't get to a dealer so I would like to be able to point the mechanics around here in the right direction. Everything on my car is still straight from the factory (minus a few cosmetic changes) so would a factory R/T have the skip shift eliminator?

·
Banned
7,566 Posts
No...it does not come from the factory.

If it's bone stock it sounds like it could be the clutch or hydraulic pump for the clutch. Bottom line do like the above poster said and check your fluid, etc.

·
Registered
585 Posts
no the SSE is an aftermarket mod for the 6spd eliminate the 2 gear lockout by the CAGS solenoid. So you must have a fairley serious clutch issue as mentioned can't see the shifter causing that symptom or the transmission either. Take it in let them sort it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got an appointment to go into the shop tomorrow to see what the deal is.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had her checked out by the on base techs and according to them the problem lies somewhere in the clutch. This is really annoying me becuase I keep my car primarily on base on 30 mph roads and I'm by far NOT a racer. The possible places to check are:

Clutch Master, Slave Cylinder, Friction Plate, Pressure Plate, or throughout bearing...

I looked at the warranty and guess what? Clutch parts are not covered! Do you guys have any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I had her checked out by the on base techs and according to them the problem lies somewhere in the clutch. This is really annoying me becuase I keep my car primarily on base on 30 mph roads and I'm by far NOT a racer. The possible places to check are:

Clutch Master, Slave Cylinder, Friction Plate, Pressure Plate, or throughout bearing...

I looked at the warranty and guess what? Clutch parts are not covered! Do you guys have any thoughts?

Hi your warranty will cover any problems with the gear box.

just take it in to a dealer and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope that's true, I know the form I have says under the transmission section that clutch parts are not covered at any time. It even goes so far as to print it in all bold letters, ha. I have a dealer over here that's a Dodge dealer, I'll have to get it to them which shouldn't be a prob... I just don't want to have to pay for this & I'm DEF not a fan of the idea of having to drop my new transmission out.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I had my dealer write on my sales contract that THEY would cover the clutch for 3 yr 36K miles. I know this may not help you, but others may try to negotiate it into the sale.

This is not a Chrysler warranty, it's a Dodge dealer warranty.

·
Registered
585 Posts
your car is much too new for the problem you describe, so unless there is some damage to the clutch assy parts that can be attributed to extreme misuse I wouldn't worry. It really sounds like something is not totally disengaging the plates ie a throwout or hydraulic problem my guess and defo premature on a 2010 new car. Are you the one owner? Becuase I beleive it will be obvious once they dig in to it

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah I'm the lone owner. Like I said, I'm overseas and due to my location I rarely go off the base with it (I drive my truck.) SO for the most part I'm driving it to and from work on 25 mph roads. I know I SHOULD NOT be having this problem which is why I'm going to be bummed if it's not covered. I'm going to my guy that did the military sale for me tomorrow and see what my next step is.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
you should be covered for the first 12 months according to the warranty on the clutch. I would question that as you haven't hit 12 months or 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got her dropped off at the only authorized Dodge maintenance shop around here. It took a little bit to find it even with GPS, a printed google maps search and a hand drawn map from my local auto guy but once I found it I felt pretty comfortable. The place actually looked professional which is hit or miss when living in foreign countries. From what I gather the issue has something to do with the clutch pressure plate? I'm still confused about how I can be having ANY problems with the way this car has been driven. Through the language barrier we were able to communicate that the warranty should cover this one and it should take about a week to get her back. I'm still uncomfortable about them them dropping my transmission but as long as she's back to normal, no harm no foul. More to come!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts