Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have any reliable data, but seems to me manual transmissions are more popular with Mustang owners and least popular with Challenger owners. Camaros seem to trend more like Challengers. Am I correct?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Two reasons why manual transmissions will be rare in high hp cars in the near future:

1) The new modern automatic transmissions are Awesome. Millisecond shifting while staying in the power band can't be beat with a manual, everything else equal.

2) With the high hp these factory cars are producing, you can burn up the clutches pretty easy if your pushing the car hard and not great with a stick.
Clutches are a wear item and not covered under warranty. Aftermarket High hp clutches are expensive and can have terrible street manners.

·
Premium Member
9,681 Posts
If it doesn’t come in a manual trans, I have zero interest in it.
What happened to our society? This is like that lame as s liberty mutual commercial where the mother is saying how the roadside assistance helped her sissy son with a flat tire. Never in my day did a REAL male need someone to change a flat tire for him.
I’m at a loss for words.

·
Registered
49 Posts
They said manuals would be a thing of the past by the '80s. Then the 90s, then the 2000s. Guess what, we still love them.
Pretending this statement means anything besides what I assume is tooting your own horn for owning one is just being delusional. In 2016 less than 3% of all cars sold in the United States were manual. In 1993 that number was 25%. 25 and 35 years ago automatic transmissions were big, heavy, clumsy, and dumb-brained, sometimes even relying on fickle and finicky vacuum actuated systems that easily and quickly degraded into a stuttering mess. The fact is that the A8 transmission will always do whatever you can do with a stick, better, quicker, smoother, more reliably, every single time.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Pretending this statement means anything besides what I assume is tooting your own horn for owning one is just being delusional. In 2016 less than 3% of all cars sold in the United States were manual. In 1993 that number was 25%. 25 and 35 years ago automatic transmissions were big, heavy, clumsy, and dumb-brained, sometimes even relying on fickle and finicky vacuum actuated systems that easily and quickly degraded into a stuttering mess. The fact is that the A8 transmission will always do whatever you can do with a stick, better, quicker, smoother, more reliably, every single time.

Pretending anyone cares to hear another short spewing of recycled rhetoric from a millennial about automatic trannys and who most likely who wants everything done for them doesn't mean shit...and that is a FACT.

·
Registered
602 Posts
They said manuals would be a thing of the past by the '80s. Then the 90s, then the 2000s. Guess what, we still love them.
In 2006, 47% of new models offered in the U.S. were available with both automatic and manual transmissions, according to a study by Edmunds.com. By 2011, that number had dropped to 37%. 2016 the number has fallen to 27%.
The actual sales figures are even lower. Edmunds senior analyst Ivan Drury said fewer than 3% of current U.S. car sales are manual vehicles.

What happened to our society? This is like that lame as s liberty mutual commercial where the mother is saying how the roadside assistance helped her sissy son with a flat tire. Never in my day did a REAL male need someone to change a flat tire for him.
I’m at a loss for words.

Who changes flat tires???

I don't think I have had a flat tire since the 80's and my last two cars did not even come with a spare.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sweet another A8 vs M6 thread. It's been awhile. I started out with an A8 Scat Pack and then moved up to an A8 Hellcat. They were both awesome but something was missing. I recently traded my A8 for an M6 Hellcat and it was a great choice. The A8 is great i still have one in my Grand Cherokee. That was the problem the Hellcat felt like a very fast commuter car. The M6 is just more fun to drive. I love the A8 in a daily driver though, so the cheap Charger lease deals are tempting.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Guess I struck a nerve. Should I apologize for loving my car? Or is that not good enough...I suppose I should trade it in for an automatic immediately, as punishment for triggering a member of the automatic hierarchy.

While we're at making amends, you should put more emphasis on how slow, horrible and unreliable my shifting is. I'm clearly delusional, so I need help figuring it out. Who better then someone who represents and speaks for 97% of Americans?

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Guess I struck a nerve. Should I apologize for loving my car? Or is that not good enough...I suppose I should trade it in for an automatic immediately, as punishment for triggering a member of the automatic hierarchy.

While we're at making amends, you should put more emphasis on how slow, horrible and unreliable my shifting is. I'm clearly delusional, so I need help figuring it out. Who better then someone who represents and speaks for 97% of Americans?

I guess peeps can't understand simple pleasures lol...I had a 2015 a8 Stingray that did 4 flat 0-60's all day long....never varying much more than a tenth.....I do 4.4's in the Challenger most of the time...sometime I run a 5 flat lol...but hey that 5 flat is way more fun because it was me and the car... :)

I don't see what that is so hard to grasp...:lookaround:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
In 2006, 47% of new models offered in the U.S. were available with both automatic and manual transmissions, according to a study by Edmunds.com. By 2011, that number had dropped to 37%. 2016 the number has fallen to 27%.
The actual sales figures are even lower. Edmunds senior analyst Ivan Drury said fewer than 3% of current U.S. car sales are manual vehicles.

Who changes flat tires???

I don't think I have had a flat tire since the 80's and my last two cars did not even come with a spare.

220 million flat tires a year in the US.....average peep see's five in his life...

·
Registered
602 Posts
220 million flat tires a year in the US.....average peep see's five in his life...

That's what roadside assistance is for.

No way I am going to attempt jacking my car up and changing a tire on a busy interstate or highway, and I have had a lot of practice changing out wheel/tire combinations on my Cobra/GT500/Hellcat.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
No kidding hawkgfr. As if I'm supposed to conform to what 97% of Americans drive. I'm not even an American. I've owned automatics, I've driven an A8 Hellcat full throttle, and as a dealership employee, driven about every trans FCA has to offer. I choose a manual, because I prefer it. My car is for me and not everyone else. I have no desire to go back to an automatic, good or not. It just doesn't do it for me anymore.

The fact that some people get so worked up over that makes me wonder if they are really so secure about their transmission choice. If you're indeed are happy with an automatic, then all the power to you. I hope you enjoy.

·
Registered
602 Posts
No kidding. As if I'm supposed to conform to what 97% of Americans drive. I'm not even an American. I've owned automatics, I've driven an A8 Hellcat full throttle, and as a dealership employee, driven about every trans FCA has to offer. I choose a manual, because I prefer it. My car is for me and not everyone else. I have no desire to go back to an automatic, good or not. It just doesn't do it for me anymore.

The fact that some people get so worked up over that makes me wonder if they are really so secure about their transmission choice. If you're indeed are happy with an automatic, then all the power to you. I hope you enjoy.

Who's A8 Hellcat did you drive full throttle?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
No kidding. As if I'm supposed to conform to what 97% of Americans drive. I'm not even an American. I've owned automatics, I've driven an A8 Hellcat full throttle, and as a dealership employee, driven about every trans FCA has to offer. I choose a manual, because I prefer it. My car is for me and not everyone else. I have no desire to go back to an automatic, good or not. It just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Who's A8 Hellcat did you drive full throttle?
Dealer principle. Technically the dealership's, so technically it didn't happen and there is nothing to see here, wink wink.

In all seriousness, the car was amazing. I have no complaints about the A8 itself.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Reactions: MSgtRock

·
Registered
2,187 Posts

Amen! People do not realize that the M6 tranny I know in the Scat packs, 392, and I believe the HellCat is the TR6060. It’s an awsome transmission that is also used in the GT500s and a lot of the Vettes. Not sure if the TR6060 is in the R/T or not.
R/Ts do have the TR-6060. Vettes have the TR-6070, the 7 speed version. The Hellcat's version is still a TR-6060, but it has the closer ratios from the Viper and an external cooler.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts