Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered 4qt of Royal Purple manual transmission fluid. I have called dodge and they want to charge me $60 to put it in for me. I would rather do this my self for more than one reason. The biggest is that I paid $70 for the fluid and don't want to spend more. I also just ordered the skip shift eliminator and would like to also install that. Is this easy to do and does anyone have any tips for doing this(changing the trans fluid)?? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
They don't list the Dodge Challenger on their website: Royal Purple Transmission Lubricant Chart

Dodge specs ATF+4 for the manual transmission. I'd make sure that what you have is compatible (call Royal Purple if you haven't already).

Its fairly straight forward to change the fluid. You need a jack stand, and jack, and trans jack (optional), some metric sockets and ratchet (3/8"), pan to hold at least 5 quarts, and some way to pump fluid (I cheaped out and use a screw on tube/valve combo and I had to squeeze the hell out of the plastic bottles).

I had 5 quarts on hand in case I couldn't get all the fluid from each bottle into the transmission.

Get the passenger side of the car safely lifted and on the jack stand.

Support the transmission using a trans jack (or jack, becareful not to damage the case).

Remove the transmission cross member.

Remove the lower drain plug (I think used a 3/8" extension with no sockets to remove this). After it is finished draining install the plug, 20 ft. lbs..

Remove the upper fill plug and start filling. Once it starts trickling back out it's full. Install the fill plug, 20 ft. lbs.

Install the crossmember, torque all 6 bolts/nuts to 45 ft. lbs.

Its possible to do it with out taking the cross member out, but it will dump fluid all over it and some fluid will probably miss the pan too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think anyone could be as precise and detailed. I really appreciate it. I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Your answer will defiantly be a refinance for me. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just did this the other day. Went with Amsoil ATF. Did not go to the trouble of removing crossmember. It has holes in it so the fluid that hits it just drips into the drain pan. Easy clean up with shop towels. Just under 4 qts. to refill.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Did y'all drive around at all to warm the fluid up?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Just curious what have you guys noticed after changing the fluid. And why did you do it? What are the advantages? I am considering switching over to Royal Puple products, i have already started with the engine oil and was wondering about doing trans and diff. Thanks for your help with this.
KS

·
Registered
401 Posts
I changed to Amsoil ATF mainly because a some of the guys on here reported that after they did it got rid of some of the "notchy" feeling while shifting through 1st-2nd-3rd. I didn't have much difference at first but its starting to smooth out (just breaking in I think).
As far as the diff. Some guys said they had metal shavings in theirs when they changed out. The oil that came out of mine was like watery gray house paint, nasty. I wanted to get some good Mobil 1 in there after about 3,000 mi. Couple of qrts. and a few minutes time was well worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I started to do some more research. Should this really be done with just the passenger side jacked up? shouldn't the car be level?

Thanks!

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you did it with the pass. side jacked up you wouldn't get a proper drain and fill. I backed mine onto ramps. My driveway is a slight incline so with the back end lower before the ramps it made it almost level.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
When I did mine it was actually still pretty clean but it doesn't hurt to keep it clean and it's recommended every 30k I believe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts