Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to see who has the 3rd pedal in their challenger, and what makes driving a stick so enjoyable for you? I'm so happy to have found my 20 scat with an m6 on my local lot. Every time I've seen local challengers for the last few years they've all been the auto. I'm NOT looking to start a war about which transmission is better or faster here on the track. We all know the A8 is a beast and can shift faster than any human can manually. I know someone is going to come into this thread specifically to say that - we're all aware. :)

To me it's just simply fun. My mind can't compute a muscle car NOT having a stick shift. It just doesn't make sense. I enjoy controlling my machine and the visceral feeling shifting gives. It's just plain fun! I followed folks adivce here and installed a barton unit after I had about 500 miles on my car. Nigth and day difference. Reminds me of old school 60's muscle cars with the Hurst shifters, only a MUCH better shifting unit. I put a T5 in my 66 Fairlaine and modified an old hurst shift handle to adapt to my MGW shifter unit. Everyone assumes it's a "4 on the floor" and the overdrive on the highway is awesome. Feel free to throw in your own anecdotes! Can't wait until it gets warm again in my area to hit up some local cruise ins and bang gears!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A manual transmission was a deal breaker of it wasn't an option when i was looking. There where 3 things... big engine, no sunroof (they will just leak) & a manual or o walk. Ask Miles at Goldy auto in Huntington, WV. He said what I was looking for was a unicorn, that I would never find it & to buy there T/A 392 with a sunroof & a damn automatic smh. 2 days, a 7 hr road trip & a weekend vacation later she's all mine & everything i want.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Sublime Shaker, 2010 Plum Crazy R/T Classic, 2010 Detonator Yellow R/T Classic
2,035 Posts
I have owned mostly autos in my life but the few exceptions have been sports cars and a few Challengers. I wanted a manual, Hemi, STP and no sunroof! I had to special order it and it's still my #1 favorite car to drive. Oh and make it Sublime :)

Reactions: moparnoother

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
It was a manual or nothing.
I always felt the same way until I bought my Redeye. 4 Challengers in the last 10 years and 3 of them were manuals. Had to have the “Man Pedal“. The A8 is awesome. I put the Barton Shifter in mine and shift it manually when I’m playing and it really has some snap.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,102 Posts
You know that 8 speed automatic sure is quicker at the track....LOL Just messing around don’t shoot me. I love my M6. As far as why I would say it’s most of what has already been stated. I really is just so much fun. Although one other reason for me is that my first car why a manual 5 speed 1988 Camaro. After that car I joined the Mopar family and got my first Dodge Ram with the new Hemi in it. Until I got the Challenger everything was an automatic, so having the manual reminds me of my teenage years and going to Moroso speedway back in West Palm, FL.

My wife’s Charger has the A8 and man am I impressed by it, but it’s just not the same. I have been considering getting a newer WB Redeye, but am torn simply because of the lack of a manual transmission. My original plan was to always SC mine and beef everything up to handle the power. So we’ll see how everything pans out over the coming years.

I will add this....the grinding when shifting too fast into 2nd gear kills me. It’s been there since the car was new. I’ve done the CDV delete, changed fluids and I do have the hurst shifter (installed that before Barton became really popular and before I heard of them) and no change. I know I need to have the 2nd gear synchro replaced, but haven’t gotten around to it, so I try to remember to be gentle with 2nd gear.

Reactions: AndyinAZ

·
Registered
65 Posts
When i went looking for my "fun" car, it was a manual, or no car.... i want to go for a drive, not a ride... ( i have the F*rd POS when i need to go for a ride... )

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
It was a manual or nothing.
My sentiment exactly.

Years ago I had a roadrunner - my brother was interested in one that was a model year older, a 400-4bbl 4 speed...

mine was the automatic (A3) - from that moment on, I had always longed for a 4 speed. when you're buying used there's only so many choices available

My first V8 / manual that I owned was my '09 R/T. Having a torquey V8 and a manual is an experience

and for the record, three speed automatics...suck. I felt that way about them way back then

Reactions: Donniet53

·
Registered
2020 F8 Scat Pack 392 6 Speed Stick
352 Posts
Hi,

3 pedals was at the top of the list, next to v8.

I actually know a few people who wanted a daily driver v6 and passed on the Challenger as not offered Which always surprised me it wasn't offered.

Most of my cars are sticks, I can always replace a clutch, but rebuilding a automatic is a pain on a 3 speed, can't imagine a A8

Hopefully 3 pedals will remain a option as most vehicles are now only offered in a automatic

Regards,
Jim

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,203 Posts
After a lifetime of driving manual equipped cars in mid December 2017 bought a 2018 Scat Pack with the A8. The A8 was an impressive transmission as I expected.

After 10 days I bought a 2018 MINI JCW with a 6-speed manual. For my second car and my "commute" car.

There were 9 of these MINI JCW cars in my general area but only one manual. This one was at a dealer 90 miles away in Sacramento. But it was worth the drive. The car proved to be a real nice car and the 6-speed a dream.

("Had" to sell it when I left CA as there is no MINI dealer within 187 miles of where I live now. Too bad. The MINI would have been even more suited to here than in CA and it was a superb car in CA.)

After a couple of months I traded the Scat Pack in for a 2018 Hellcat with the A8. As I my experience with my Scat Pack led to expect the A8 was an awesome transmission.

Then in November traded in the Hellcat for a 2020 Scat Pack with a 6-speed manual.

Loving the new Scat Pack. The manual transmission shifts just fine and quick considering the size/output of the Scat Pack engine. So far I see no need to tamper with the CDV (remove it) or fit an aftermarket shifter.

I didn't so much select the Scat Pack with the manual transmission to replace my Hellcat and its automatic because I enjoyed/missed shifting so much. The primary reason was I just started to worry about the longevity of that complicated and expensive A8 transmission. It bothered me that Dodge called for no fluid services. This suggested dealers capable of doing this right would be a luck of the draw thing and I don't like to roll the dice when having any car serviced let alone a Hellcat.

So I decided if I wanted to get rid of the Hellcat it would never be worth as much as it was right now (well, middle of November "now") and when I had the Hellcat in for service and happened to spot a 2020 Hellraision Scat Pack with a 6-speed on the lot just a day or two after the Hellcat service I was back at the dealer and traded in the Hellcat for the Scat Pack.

So I did the deal. Not because I had to have a manual but because a manual is a "simpler" transmission one that doesn't require a degree in rocket science to service and should -- based on my experience with my other cars -- last as long as the car.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I picked up my first m6 Challenger a couple of months ago mostly because I do not daily it. It is also supercharged so it is big fun to drive as a manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just looking to see who has the 3rd pedal in their challenger, and what makes driving a stick so enjoyable for you? I'm so happy to have found my 20 scat with an m6 on my local lot. Every time I've seen local challengers for the last few years they've all been the auto. I'm NOT looking to start a war about which transmission is better or faster here on the track. We all know the A8 is a beast and can shift faster than any human can manually. I know someone is going to come into this thread specifically to say that - we're all aware. :)

To me it's just simply fun. My mind can't compute a muscle car NOT having a stick shift. It just doesn't make sense. I enjoy controlling my machine and the visceral feeling shifting gives. It's just plain fun! I followed folks adivce here and installed a barton unit after I had about 500 miles on my car. Nigth and day difference. Reminds me of old school 60's muscle cars with the Hurst shifters, only a MUCH better shifting unit. I put a T5 in my 66 Fairlaine and modified an old hurst shift handle to adapt to my MGW shifter unit. Everyone assumes it's a "4 on the floor" and the overdrive on the highway is awesome. Feel free to throw in your own anecdotes! Can't wait until it gets warm again in my area to hit up some local cruise ins and bang gears!
I am in the same boat as you, as is my wife. I just picked up my second Challenger, a Scat Pack, which just HAD to be a manual. I wouldn't have it any other way. My wife also has a Challenger with a 6 speed (which she owned before we met). We have two Challengers in our driveway, both manual.
For me, it's a primal thing, visceral for sure, definitely more control.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
288 Posts
I wanted the manual because I wanted the control and perceived durability/simplicity versus an auto. It’s a 3rd car and the other two are automatics, so I wanted the full engagement that comes with driving a manual. The 1-2 shift is my least favorite part of the experience because it’s a bit notchy and just so much power going through those short gears. Can’t imagine what that’s like in a manual Hellcat. I’ve changed the fluid, installed a Barton, removed the clutch delay valve and have a skip shift eliminator. If I keep it long enough to replace the clutch, I’ll have them do new synchros. My favorite is a good 3rd gear pull from 25 to 85. No gear change and instant throttle response when I get on it.

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
141 Posts
I’m part of the few I guess that daily drives an M6, 60 miles round trip, stop and go traffic all year ‘round here in Colorado (although not this past year as I’ve been working from home). Despite having to put my foot on the third pedal about 200 hundred times each way, I’d NEVER trade it for an automatic. EVER. You can keep your foot on the brake and crawl the car below 1k rpm no problem, and the moment you let off it’s got such great torque right from the start. I’ll be swapping in a 6.4 cam in the near future, mostly because it’s so important for my drive to not lose that bottom end. I try to rev match every shift, and knock wood, 102k and still on original clutch.
Wouldn’t ever, EVER, want an auto.
But different strokes I guess.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,773 Posts
According to my company's new HR training class I am "biased" which is why I guess I had to have the M6 trans. The challenger is not my daily driver but I do drive it often in the spring/summer. I drive 100% city and shifting does not bother me one bit. My only gripe is I wish 1st gear was not so short...with a super charger I hit 6400 rpm real quick. Oh and the 2nd gear nibble can be annoying during cold weather. With a barton, clutch delay valve delete, one piece driveshaft and diff brace the shifting and engagement is race car crisp. Also tuning is way easier with a manual IMO.

·
Registered
2020 SPS, M6, Go Mango
521 Posts
I wanted the manual because I wanted the control and perceived durability/simplicity versus an auto. It’s a 3rd car and the other two are automatics, so I wanted the full engagement that comes with driving a manual. The 1-2 shift is my least favorite part of the experience because it’s a bit notchy and just so much power going through those short gears. Can’t imagine what that’s like in a manual Hellcat. I’ve changed the fluid, installed a Barton, removed the clutch delay valve and have a skip shift eliminator. If I keep it long enough to replace the clutch, I’ll have them do new synchros. My favorite is a good 3rd gear pull from 25 to 85. No gear change and instant throttle response when I get on it.
What exactly does the Barton do for you

1 - 20 of 75 Posts