Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys, do you think Dodge will keep a 6-speed available for the production model? Also, I've heard that the car hasnt been tested for wind resistance. Do you think the body will be changed that much?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fourthirteen said:
No...wouldn"t think
no, i wouldnt think too much about the smaller engines having the manual, but what about the 6.1 and the possible 392? I really want to have one with a 6-speed and the 6.1 hemi, like the concept.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It better have a Manuel Tranny! T56 what the concept has..

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I think it will have a manuel trans as an option. They've made such a big deal about the 6 speed at the shows they'd eat their words if they didn't offer it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There was no reason not to offer the Charger with the six speed but they didn't. The people at DC would have to be incredibly stupid not to offer both, but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
wawarnick said:
There was no reason not to offer the Charger with the six speed but they didn't. The people at DC would have to be incredibly stupid not to offer both, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'ts a 4 door thats why. And yes there is no reason not to offer both in the challenger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
This would really come into play when it came time to purchase. I really don't think I would buy this car if it only came as an auto. I have not owned a car with an automatic for nearly 20 years and I'm not about to start now.

Not too sure if I even remember how to drive an auto. ;)

As long as I am able to drive a car, it WILL be a stick shift.:p

ScottyJ :cool:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
wawarnick said:
I read somewhere that the design of the Charger doesn't have enough space to squeeze in a manual transmission; the car was designed from the get-go to use the Mercedes style trans. Supposedly the Challengers "next-gen" platform has room behind the engine and under the floorboards for a manual. Thats promising...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hopefully DCX is actually paying attention to their own polls and other feedback from the enthusiast community.

Hopefully they have learned from Mopar Faithful's mixed reception on the Charger;
many saying its a really nice, even great Polara;
but no four door automatic only sedan is a Charger.

Castiglione seems to have nailed the Challenger image in our minds;
I can't imagine DCX letting the beancounters screw it up.
But the very nature of the poll #2 is troubling;
"If we choose not to offer the M/6 trans we damwell know you want,
would you still lay out for the car anyway?"

A 75% preference for std trans on our poll is not to be ignored,
and as stated, there's no reason not to build it as it was shown.
Once certified, the M/6 trans can be offered in other LXs, too.

If the price projections hold true,
the T56 should be $1k less expensive than the Mersomatic,
not an insignificant price difference,
if you want to compete for Mustang customers, who,
by the way, purchase manual trans in most V8 Stangs,
and about half of base Stangs.
It might even be worth considering a M/5 for the V6 cars,
instead of M/6, if it keeps the cost competitive.

Finally, from a long-term ownership standpoint,
you have to have more faith in the durability of a T56 than ANY automatic,
behind a 425-500 HP Hemi, and you can bet the Mersomatic will take a big bite at rebuild time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
allhemi said:
I'ts a 4 door thats why. And yes there is no reason not to offer both in the challenger.
I've seen plenty of 4 door manual trans cars.

The Challenger is based on a shortened charger/300 platform, so if they can put a real stick in the Challenger they could do it for the Charger and 300. The bean counters have way too much control over production today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BigDaddyWiz said:
Also, I've heard that the car hasnt been tested for wind resistance. Do you think the body will be changed that much?
The whole wind resistance thing is a bunch of BS. It's an excuse the bean counters use to screw up pretty cars. Thats all.
Fact: Air resistance does not become a considerable factor until gross wind velocity (the speed of the car plus the speed of a headwind) reaches approximately 120MPH. A beater with a measly 100 bhp can get up to 120 hp eventually because drag is not much of an issue until then. Now, if the speed limit on the highway was 160mph instead if 65 or 70 mph, wind tunnel testing and drag would be a crucial consideration. . . but it's not

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
wawarnick said:
The Challenger is based on a shortened charger/300 platform, so if they can put a real stick in the Challenger they could do it for the Charger and 300. The bean counters have way too much control over production today.

Most people that go looking for a 4 door car is not looking for a manual.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'd still buy it with a automatic....but Good God Almighty would this car be fun in manual!

Honestly, this isn't really a "family" car it's a two door for God's sake.

·
Registered
20 Posts
All I can say is... that if those 'beancounters' don't put a manual tranny in this car... there are going to be a lot less beans to count! That should be a BIG hint to put a manual tranny in the car!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts