161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've owned 3 Challengers, the 1st and 3rd with manual transmissions. Obviously the vast majority of Challengers are built with/sold with with automatics. Anyone know if there is a correlation with age and transmission choice? Betraying my age, I grew up with 4 speed transmissions and I just love shifting. I'd certainly like to know if M6 owners are significantly older than A8 owners.
I don't think its age related so much as the type of intended usage and perhaps model. I'm 54 and specifically ordered a manual in my 2019 Scat Pack. Like others have said I learnt on a stick (actually 3 on the tree to more exact) but I don't think that was why I wanted a manual. I bought this car purely for fun - its sits in my garage and gets taken out for an hour or two on weekends for joy rides. To me a manual transmission is the only way to enjoy the 392 hemi! Conversely, if I had bought the car as a daily driver I would have got the auto as having a manual is a pain in everyday commuter traffic.

I will admit I hadn't driven a stick for at least 20 years and was a tad nervous driving it out of the dealership for the first time! Its like a riding bike however, its all comes back real quick!

·
Registered
641 Posts
This thread is great!

“I’m 60 years old and learned on a manual and all the fastest sports cars were manuals back in the day and manuals really only became mass produced by most automobile makers 60-70 years ago but age has nothing to do with it!!!”

“Blame the Millennials”

“Get off my lawn”

“only men can press a clutch!”

Age has EVERYTHING to do with it. Nobody wants a manual anymore but old people and weirdos.

·
Registered
2015 Challenger SRT
617 Posts
At 75 I don't want a manual...but still a weirdo....

161 - 167 of 167 Posts