Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FCA stock plummeted 12% after Marchionne revealed its next 5-year plan.

The article says investors are skeptical about his ambitious plans for Alfa Romeo and Maserati, and says he is betting too much on Jeep, at the expense of Chrysler and Dodge.

Personally, the whole thing about Chrysler now becoming a mainstream brand and Dodge a performance brand seems rather schizophrenic, to say the least.

I wished they just picked a 25-year vision for these brands, instead of re-shuffling them every 5 years.

Fiat's Five-Year Plan Fails To Impress Investors, Stock Plummets

EDIT: further news link the drop in stock price to FCA posting a quarterly loss, due to the purchase of the remainder of Chrysler.

·
Registered
212 Posts
yep, Chrysler has always been more of the luxury brand of the family (like Lincoln and Cadillac fpr ford and Gm) and Dodge has always been the "Blue collar" AND muscle brand to me...if they had wanted a "Discount" or value brand, they should have kept Plymouth around

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Alfa has become a personal vendetta for Marchionne.

Ferdinand Piech, head of VW, likes to mock Marchionne and how he is going to show Marchionne how to build Alfa into a real luxury brand. Marchionne is now determined to show Piech otherwise, one way or another...

·
Registered
310 Posts
The plan is very aggressive, and analysts are wondering where the money will come from. Doesn't matter how broad Fiat's shoulders are, their approx 11 billion debt (US dollars) is a heavy load to carry.
Flawless product launches are key, and the track record so far isn't rosy - Fiat 500, Dart, Viper, Cherokee. Too soon to tell with the 2015 Chrysler200, but it looks promising.
Alfa's not doing well in Europe (except Italy), so not sure how it'll do here.
It's all about product, so if Chrysler really buckles down, they may achieve the plan.
If Marchionne steps down in 2018, Carlos Ghosn from Nissan/Renault would be a great successor.

Just my dos centavos.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If Marchionne steps down in 2018, Carlos Ghosn from Nissan/Renault would be a great successor.

Just my dos centavos.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! NOOOOOOOO!! NO!

LOL...sorry, I just happen to work with Nissan and see all the stupidity coming from Mr Ghosn.

Yes, he is Mr Cost Cutter, but he has no vision besides launching one weird-looking vehicle after another that add little to no incremental sales, while completely missing the boat on key model launches like Sentra. Nissan quality has had some recent setbacks, too.

I will take Marchionne over Ghosn any day. Marchionne, with all his shortcommings, at least is very good at building morale and rallying the troops, which is no insignificant trait in a leader.

Just my two pesos :D

·
Registered
10,154 Posts
Alfa, as a "brand" in the USA, has about as much chance as the "SRT Brand" does, or did.

Some folks at Chrysler need to dump the emotions, and just start making some sense to what Americans drive, and want.

Honestly, I feel that there really is a "golden opportunity" for Chrysler, but merge the best of all the brand engineering, into the American cars.

Force feeding "brands" into America, just doesn't work anymore.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Premium Member
10,049 Posts
Anyone ever think that Fiat would keep Jeep and sell off the rest down the road?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Anyone ever think that Fiat would keep Jeep and sell off the rest down the road?
Marchionne loves the ingenuity and work ethic he found at Chrysler, and he detests the Italian government meddling and the entitlement of the labor unions he has at FIAT. It is no coincidence he has been giving North America plants most of the growth.

If anything, he'd probably want to sell of FIAT LOL!!!

However, he seems to have the blinders on when it comes to the US market: he underestimated Dodge, and overestimated FIAT and SRT.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Road & Track (latest issue) stopped drooling over the Alfa 4C the minute they stepped inside and it got worse when they drove it.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I don't think SRT as a brand really got a fair shake.

Alfa will be about as successful as fiat IMO

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think SRT as a brand really got a fair shake.
You are right. But I think many inside Chrysler were not convinced SRT should be a separate brand.

And Pretty-Boy Ralph managed it like a drunken Trust Fund Baby.

Reactions: wasp392

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Since there is nothing any of you can say to change things, why not give them a fair chance before you bury them. I cannot count the number of peons on the god damn internet who said that Chrysler would not be around, just 5 years ago. Politicians were claiming Chrysler would not be around much longer. Now, here we go again. I am sure I will lose track of all the BS that will avalanche onto this site and others.

Reactions: 08SRT and Bigdodge

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
You are right. But I think many inside Chrysler were not convinced SRT should be a separate brand.

And Pretty-Boy Ralph managed it like a drunken Trust Fund Baby.
LOL

I never thought it really needed to be its own brand anyway, but since I'm a fan obviously I thought...ok, cool, I hope it works out.

As far as Ralph, it's hard not to like him, I just think they/he put too many eggs in one basket with the Viper. It will never sell in enough volume to make the brand, they should have rushed the supercharger to the market first and then reintroduced a super bad as blown viper. I know they were in a tough spot with the assembly plant at the time, and then it would have been tougher probably to ever get restarted with the car...maybe they should have just let it die as is and be a forever classic, then work on making an American Ferrari with fiats resources that blows everyone away.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Since there is nothing any of you can say to change things, why not give them a fair chance before you bury them. I cannot count the number of peons on the god damn internet who said that Chrysler would not be around, just 5 years ago. Politicians were claiming Chrysler would not be around much longer. Now, here we go again. I am sure I will lose track of all the BS that will avalanche onto this site and others.
Fair enough. But the fact that Chrysler survived two close calls is no guarantee it will be around another 10 years.

FCA really needs to stop reshuffling its brands every 5 years. Every time they do, is like hitting the reset button with consumers.

Consistency and persistency builds forward momentum; constant indecision is a waste of time, and inefficient use of money.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL

I never thought it really needed to be its own brand anyway, but since I'm a fan obviously I thought...ok, cool, I hope it works out.

As far as Ralph, it's hard not to like him, I just think they/he put too many eggs in one basket with the Viper. It will never sell in enough volume to make the brand, they should have rushed the supercharger to the market first and then reintroduced a super bad as blown viper. I know they were in a tough spot with the assembly plant at the time, and then it would have been tougher probably to ever get restarted with the car...maybe they should have just let it die as is and be a forever classic, then work on making an American Ferrari with fiats resources that blows everyone away.
You are right. We will always owe Ralph saving Viper.

I just hope it regains its place soon, though.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Geez,

Never any good thing to say about an American company that's been around 100 years?

Remember that the majority of our current products keep a lot of our citizens (including Our Northern and Southern neighbors) employed.

But then this is the Internet and any one can be a big tuff arrogant know it all - why because we can hide behind screen names :zlurking:

If it wasn't for Sergio and company stepping up with a plan, Chrysler would more than likely have been a memory after the collapse of 2009.

I will give Sergio and company a A+ for their vision.

Anybody remember that in March Ram trucks out sold Chevy!!

So let's give some credit to the folks that build our cars.

:guiness:

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
this is the Internet and any one can be a big tuff arrogant know it all - why because we can hide behind screen names :zlurking:
DD, talking about yourself, again... :guiness:

Agree, those RAM trucks are awesome...and kicking GM's butt, too!!!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts