Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Purchased my Challenger (2017 T/A 392 in Destroyer Gray two weeks ago and after waiting to get the correct products, have done my first wash and have found some issues that I was unsure if they were common.

On the hood there are four small circles, each looking like a bluish ring with rust in the middle along with an area the size of my fingernail that is discolored from the rest of the hood. Also, when I got it home I noticed some swirl marks on the side stripes and roof I thought were just water streaks as it was storming when I got the car but it now looks like the dealer washed it with a rough sponge or something.

My salesman seems willing to fix the issues, just worried because I found the matte black non-warranty card in the glovebox that they did not go over with me at time of sale. If I had seen that at the time I may have just ordered a base scat pack but I got the T/A for 38 new and thought it was an amazing deal.

Is there any way to fix these issues myself and are they common on the matte black surfaces?

Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Same issues

I feel your pain. Got a great deal on a 2017 T/A. I thought I looked it over but I didn’t.
The next day I noticed 3 very deep scratches in the Matt black painted hood. And like yours they were starting to rust.
To add to my misery my dealer is 5 states away. You can not buff this hood so am living with it for now hoping a miracle fix will cross my path before I commit to a repaint.
My top is OK but my trunk lid decal has a lot of surfaces scratches on it also.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Ive never heard of blueish rings on the hood, by chance do they correspond with something under the hood, like inner hood frame cut outs, or similar, indicating excessive heat of some kind was present at some point? or are they more topical tot he top skin of the hood? like something was sat on it. just spitballing.
As for the scratches, id bet you my next pay check they ran it thru the drive thru car wash and the dirt-filled rotating wash brushes did it.
I had the blackout hood going for a while..was way too much of a pita and removed it.

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
I feel your pain. Got a great deal on a 2017 T/A. I thought I looked it over but I didn’t.
The next day I noticed 3 very deep scratches in the Matt black painted hood. And like yours they were starting to rust.
To add to my misery my dealer is 5 states away. You can not buff this hood so am living with it for now hoping a miracle fix will cross my path before I commit to a repaint.
My top is OK but my trunk lid decal has a lot of surfaces scratches on it also.
all the hoods on Challenger models are aluminum, so no rust concerns

Also if you have any warranty issues - any dealer is obligated to take care of matters under the mfgr. warranty.
-people buy cars from out of state or move to different locations after they purchased a new vehicle.

My '16 was purchased in Oregon when I took delivery in late 2015, and subsequent years, moved to North Carolina and still had the 36mos bumper-to-bumper warranty in effect...

For the vinyl wrap (nose, roof and trunk) - you might try PlastX to see if (light passes) might address the scratches. Vinyl is softer than paint.

The reason I mention light passes is that vinyl is satin finish, you don't want to burnish or polish and have more glossy areas afterward.

If the scratches are still present, the vinyl will have to be removed and re-installed.

If there's scratches in the matte hood paint, a repaint is probably what will need to be done to correct it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts